QFA Div 2 North

the doc 70

Debutant
Apr 15, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
there is absolutely no reason to ever do it anymore, you would have to be crazy

One club has a bloke in the 2's playing under a false name that hasn't registered in years and it is common practice at that club for many to play under false names

Another club playing short to qualify a bloke not present for finals

Some dumb tactics being employed that will bite sooner or later

Almostfooty

Draftee
Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Surely your not going to win over players when blokes train all year and are dropped coming into the pointy end of things for guys from other clubs or to qualify guys.

FAN THE MAN

All Australian
Sep 21, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
One club has a bloke in the 2's playing under a false name that hasn't registered in years and it is common practice at that club for many to play under false names

Another club playing short to qualify a bloke not present for finals

Some dumb tactics being employed that will bite sooner or later

Playing short to qualify for finals is a legit tactic. Not even sure its against the rules.

But why play under a false name? Especially in the 2's? Rego is pretty simple these days to handle

Still Me

Club Legend
Feb 18, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
shots fired. Risky for insurance.

from the Corless playbook though, thought he was coaching the pirates this year? at all theuir games in pirates kit.

Fan , just for the record I personally go a long way back with Tommy. I asked him if he could help mentor our new seniors coach who we gave the job to after the issue with Div 1 situation.

He has been great for Kirky and done it all off his own bat coming to most games.

One thing about Tommy he doesn't do any gig for the accolades. He has taken on some mammoth gigs in recent years and Moorooka the latest is clear proof he goes alright.

ThrowingChat

Draftee
Mar 24, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Moorooka not doing themselves any justice playing blokes under false names! Risky considering they are in the running for finals.

Well if you have evidence I assume its been dealt with!

My thinking is you do not so you decided to start a rumour instead, happy to be proven wrong.

ThrowingChat

Draftee
Mar 24, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Surely your not going to win over players when blokes train all year and are dropped coming into the pointy end of things for guys from other clubs or to qualify guys.

At some clubs the thought that blokes train all year is laughable!

Surely your not going to put blokes in each week who dont train very regulary at all, or who only want to play home games, or only play every other week when it suits them, or who train on thursday for selection but never available Tuesday and the list goes on....you get my point.

But most of the time you pick from all you have, simple as that.

the doc 70

Debutant
Apr 15, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Playing short to qualify for finals is a legit tactic. Not even sure its against the rules.

But why play under a false name? Especially in the 2's? Rego is pretty simple these days to handle

Def not legit - you gotta be at the game to be on the teamsheet

outandabout

Club Legend
Jan 14, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The process of qualifying players for finals has been going on for a long time.
If clubs prefer to play blokes who just blow in at the end that's up to them.
It's not something I would do.
If you have to do this ask yourself what went wrong during the year.
Good way to piss off lads who have been there since round 1.
If winning a game of footy is more important than your loyal players good luck getting them back next year.
The coaches job is to get his players up to standard.
If you have to get blow ins to play finals then you simply didn't do your job well enough.
Others will have a different opinion on this but a club culture can be wiped out in the blink of an eye.
Work for success it's more enjoyable when you achieve it.

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Yeah but the Doc is correct - you are supposed to only have guys on the team sheet that can be sighted by the interchange steward. At least for part of a game!
The practise of playing guys under dodgy names has been going on for a long time and pragmatism says this is usually met with a wink and nod from opposition sides bc you have probably done it before at reserves level and especially the lower divisions. But naming blokes to qualify for finals is just wrong if they aren't even present.

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
At the start, or what?

I turned up at 1/4 time only 3 weeks ago and went straight on. We played jimboomba a month ago and started with 15. We had 7 additional names on the teamsheet we were hopeful would get there, only 3 of them turned up.

Might be wrong but you only need 15 to start a game. The 7 guys named but didn't show would then have to have a check list as to who was there by 1/2 time and the other 4 taken off. Think that's how it works. But again appreciate at Div 4/5 level then not everything gets ticked off in the name of getting a match cracking.

Jun 2, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Collingwood
Might be wrong but you only need 15 to start a game. The 7 guys named but didn't show would then have to have a check list as to who was there by 1/2 time and the other 4 taken off. Think that's how it works. But again appreciate at Div 4/5 level then not everything gets ticked off in the name of getting a match cracking.

Didn't know that. We've had guys turn up at 3/4 time before. In fact on one occasion a few years back, one of our best turned up at 3/4 time and won the game for us in the last .

outandabout

Club Legend
Jan 14, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I must be reading the wrong ladder?? Isnt it saying Moorooka are only 4 points out?
Mate my info is loss of 4 points and a large fine.
Maybe sporting pluse hasnt been adjusted.
Shitty way to Finnish the year.
Feel for the boys who have given all for the year.

Hottie88

You'll Never Walk Alone
Jan 27, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
This is a shameful act and those who were in the know should never be allowed to hold any position of any notoriety at a club ever again!

outandabout

Club Legend
Jan 14, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This is a shameful act and those who were in the know should never be allowed to hold any position of any notoriety at a club ever again!
Yet you can use sandpaper and come back and play for your country.
Not a good look but hardly worth a life ban.
Always better to let the dust settle before you judge to harshly.
I'm sure whoever is involved are regretting their actions now.

Back