Tim O'Brien: Corner turned. 2yr extension announced.

Remove this Banner Ad

I have all the powers.

See the source image

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
Had a career year for him ( which isn't hard) still not sold though, to be honest I'd prefer to dangle him in trade period whilst he might have some currency, get the feeling he may just revert back to the norm next season. His season does definitely does warrant a continued career at AFL level though, just not sure I want that to be at us.

Had a career year for him ( which isn't hard) still not sold though, to be honest I'd prefer to dangle him in trade period whilst he might have some currency, get the feeling he may just revert back to the norm next season. His season does definitely does warrant a continued career at AFL level though, just not sure I want that to be at us.
I think he may just get better. The belief has grown.

4THAWN

Club Legend
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'd prefer to let him grow into hopefully either a solid CHF/FF or a good swingman at Hawthorn. This is an area we are not greatly stocked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

toomanysquibs

Premiership Player
Nov 25, 2006
Hawthorn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
Patton plays FF and Lewis CHF. I see TOB to be competing more with Gunston as the 3rd tall up forward which probably moves TOB to CHB. Good flexibility to have. Reckon TOB is better in defence anyhow.

If TOB's improvement continues (and I'd still argue that it's up to self belief more than ability), or he never hits a higher ceiling that where he's at yet remains consistent....he'll be a nightmare matchup for most third defenders.

There's been times the past month or two where he's almost looked unbeatable one on one (hyperbole alert, but on occasion he has no matter who was on him). His agility has them thinking pretty hard when the ball hits the deck too. That game against the Cats when he and Lewis were both on, made us look like a completely different team.

Thread title change is the exclamation point on something that happened a few weeks ago, but just like his career so far, better late than never and all that....

Jan 29, 2010
Above the floodline
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It’s frankly impossible to predict our forward structure for the next year or two - because there are just too many variables.
Best to wait and see how it unfolds - including the unpredictable.

Patton Lewis TOB Gunston and then Nash (providing the pace and playing as a tall flanker), and Breust doing his thing (Poppy gone) - with Hanrahan potentially emerging.

Then there are two genuine prospects in Matthew Walker and Jackson Ross either or both of whom can emerge from the clouds.

And of course Wingard probably reverts to a genuine forward after Tom Mitchell returns and hopefully we get Cogs.

So if you can today pick our 6 forwards for 2020 and 2021 then good luck.

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
I had pretty much given up on him late last season and early this season but he has turned it around. Still has more improvement in him but he has massively improved this season.

Seems to have finally developed physically in what seems like overnight. Watching him last week he just looked much bigger and it has to help his confidence.

Nov 13, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The proper way to assess O'Brien's career right now is like a typical 21-22 year old KPP.
He has always had the natural ability and athleticism. It's quite rare to have an athlete who can actually play the game like he can.

Beautiful kick, reads the ball in the air well, good hands when confident.
He has always been v. skinny though and that, together with injuries, has led to him being unsettled.

Bit of experience, weight and continuity - voila! a viable second KP forward!
He's still got plenty of improvement left in him. I think his best will be the final 4-5 years of his career.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back