Not open for further replies.

SHAKESPEARE

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 21, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Mods feel free to delete/move if required

My Father knows Don pretty well , went to the same high school , same year level and always seem to cross paths every few years .

From what Dad has told me Don rarely talks footy and quickly changes topic if Dad brings it up
Far happier talking about his farm, horses had people from their high school.
Dad said he is a good fella with good heart but generally negative and always seems to have a chip on his shoulder .

Dad loves Clarko so bought him up when they last spoke a few years back , says Don was positive about Clarko and what he had done for the club which if anything was out of character for Don . But then quickly moved topic.

Not sure that really helps but that’s just how Don has always been .
I thought this was common Don knowledge

All eyes and chat were on Shiel and in the background we nibbled away and ended up with Wingard Scully and Scrimshaw.

Who are the Hawks lining up this time?

Whitfield would be incredible!!!!

Lots of Coniglio affection going on in this thread, but if the opportunity came up for one or the other I would take Whitfield every day. I understand how good Cogs's numbers are but when it comes down to two footballers without much splitting them I'd be going for the more skillful one every day of the week. Whitfield is as skillful as it gets!

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
All eyes and chat were on Shiel and in the background we nibbled away and ended up with Wingard Scully and Scrimshaw.

Apart from Whitfield I haven’t heard any big names linked to us. So it might be Whitfield or draft. I’m ok with that. Might see some lessor names move in to fill retirements and structural depth positions etc.

I couldn't be more at peace about the Cogs decision.

If he chooses us - awesome. If he doesn't - we move on. Could mean we bring Lachie home in 12 months time. As it stands we're bringing a maturing Worpel, Wingard and Scully with a year in our system under their belt and Tom Mitchell into 2020 so our midfield improves regardless.

If anyone thinks it means we aren't a destination club now - well you're deliberately looking for the negatives. Mitchell, Jaeger and Chad could have all gone elsewhere - they didn't.

Will Cogs going elsewhere be disappointing? Of course. Will it be devastating? No. He can just be like so many others that watch us on grand final day thinking 's**t - that could have been me'.

thejockey

Club Legend
Apr 5, 2015
keilor
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Buffalo Bills, Boston Red Sox
I drive around seeing clients for work , seriously have heard the following this week so far and Wednesday hasn’t finished
- Cogs definitely to us
- Cogs definitely to Blues
- AFL pumping $$$$ in so will stay at GWS
- Cogs definitely returning to WA , preference is the Eagles

All from people who say they are well connected within the AFL

Point being if you read and listen to everything you’ll probably go a bit crazy !

Tops is having a break from posting. He's still here. You may have noticed that he's liking some recent posts. ;)

lickmerocks

Premiership Player
Jul 24, 2007
heaven
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Bushrangers, Kings,
I drive around seeing clients for work , seriously have heard the following this week so far and Wednesday hasn’t finished
- Cogs definitely to us
- Cogs definitely to Blues
- AFL pumping $$$$ in so will stay at GWS
- Cogs definitely returning to WA , preference is the Eagles

All from people who say they are well connected within the AFL

Point being if you read and listen to everything you’ll probably go a bit crazy !

One day the system will be big enough for a player to announce mid season that he is leaving and the club that is losing their gun player then has the opportunity to start planning there own list management and player resignings as the current system would be crap if you were a player waiting in the wings for a contract offer.

thejockey

Club Legend
Apr 5, 2015
keilor
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Buffalo Bills, Boston Red Sox

If he chooses us - awesome. If he doesn't - we move on. Could mean we bring Lachie home in 12 months time. As it stands we're bringing a maturing Worpel, Wingard and Scully with a year in our system under their belt and Tom Mitchell into 2020 so our midfield improves regardless.

If anyone thinks it means we aren't a destination club now - well you're deliberately looking for the negatives. Mitchell, Jaeger and Chad could have all gone elsewhere - they didn't.

Will Cogs going elsewhere be disappointing? Of course. Will it be devastating? No. He can just be like so many others that watch us on grand final day thinking 's**t - that could have been me'.
Bang on

World was ending when we didn’t get Shiel last season
Haven’t bothered too see how Essendon are doing this season but am assuming they rocketed into the top 4 because they got him ?

One day the system will be big enough for a player to announce mid season that he is leaving and the club that is losing their gun player then has the opportunity to start planning there own list management and player resignings as the current system would be crap if you were a player waiting in the wings for a contract offer.
Might put some journos out of work if that ever happens. Now that would be a shame wouldn't it :drunk:

Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Red wings, Tigers, Patriots

It’s cogs. He’s our target.

Carl Spackler

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
TOB re signing. This is what Tiges did when they had Lynch. I take this as a good sign. Similar to the vault been shut in my face.

We're in lock down and just getting business done in silence. Cashing cheques and snapping necks.

Well, it's easy to talk yourself into believing what you want to believe, but it is true we're re-signing our list while the Giants are complaining they can't until Cogs reveals his intentions and the Blues are more concerned with a coach and replacement for SOS than they are will list building. Hard to do strategic list building without a coach or list manager in place who will actually live with the list, you would think.

So it's certainly easy to believe we're squared away and ready to go.

TOB re signing. This is what Tiges did when they had Lynch. I take this as a good sign. Similar to the vault been shut in my face.

We're in lock down and just getting business done in silence. Cashing cheques and snapping necks.
Devil's advocate, but if we had just found out Cogs wasn't coming, wouldn't we be re-signing our players anyway?

In any event, TOB was re-signed more than a month ago. Why would the club announce now? Day after Rough retires? Strange

Oct 9, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Bulls Seahawks Dodgers Blackhawks
Devil's advocate, but if we had just found out Cogs wasn't coming, wouldn't we be re-signing our players anyway?

In any event, TOB was re-signed more than a month ago. Why would the club announce now? Day after Rough retires? Strange
says to the footy world and certain managers and players that we heading in a strong, unified position from a on field and off field point of view. Dont forget it was announced in a week where GWS players have said they want him to tell them what they are doing so they can get contracts and Carlton telling Daisy there isnt a contract for him next season or at least one that he will like. Roughead wasnt spoken about as moved out, the club seemingly have shown to be very player friendly in how they have handled him and the finish line on him whereas the other two clubs in the situation the news hasnt been as positive around the player retention

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
Apart from Whitfield I haven’t heard any big names linked to us. So it might be Whitfield or draft. I’m ok with that. Might see some lessor names move in to fill retirements and structural depth positions etc.

There aren't many big names available are there, given it is only FAs and RFAs being runoured at this stage?

Fatrollo

Senior List
Oct 1, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool

All at the same time, including probably our two highest players (Mitchell and O'Meara) who weren't coming out of contract for another 2 years and 1 year?

I'd say it's more than a coincidence but I guess we'll see.

Oct 9, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Bulls Seahawks Dodgers Blackhawks
anyone got an up to date list of the players that have resigned in the past say month? Seems like there has been a few? Starting to get a list of guys you can sit down with Coniglio or whoever they want to at seasons end and say here is the list of guys that have signed on with us this season and shown they want to stay here and it would be a great tool to have

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers

I think this sort of attitude may wear off rather soon, as good as our run was, we haven't won a final for 4 years, it'll be interesting to see how much relevance that historic run has when it comes to recruiting players moving forward.

I believe there's another key player for us that has been extended, but not yet announced also.

I think this sort of attitude may wear off rather soon, as good as our run was, we haven't won a final for 4 years, it'll be interesting to see how much relevance that historic run has when it comes to recruiting players moving forward.

Maybe for those who love to jump to the whining negativity at the drop of the hat. Think the Lions' threepeat is irrelevant now? I don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back