MRP / Trib. NicNat Watch. Tribunal Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Injury update

“That’s part of his progression into a full training session, which we would like to see him participate in the next couple of weeks.”

If he won't be in full training for another two weeks, I don't think we'll see him until finals. Maybe even prelim if we finish top 2.

Injury update

“That’s part of his progression into a full training session, which we would like to see him participate in the next couple of weeks.”

If he won't be in full training for another two weeks, I don't think we'll see him until finals. Maybe even prelim if we finish top 2.
Interesting conundrum if he's ready to go by preliminary final week (and we make it). Do we bring him straight in, or is it too risky? hmmm

Interesting conundrum if he's ready to go by preliminary final week (and we make it). Do we bring him straight in, or is it too risky? hmmm

My view is that you bring him in as soon as he's fit, he doesn't need a run in the ressies or an extended period of full training.

He impacts games in short bursts and in the ruck. There's no expectation on him to rove like a Grundy or float behind the kick to take uncontested marks like Gawn. NN primarily is about dominating the ruck contest and providing immense pressure with his follow up efforts. If he can add something extra around the ground, that's a bonus.

My view is that you bring him in as soon as he's fit, he doesn't need a run in the ressies or an extended period of full training.

He impacts games in short bursts and in the ruck. There's no expectation on him to rove like a Grundy or float behind the kick to take uncontested marks like Gawn. NN primarily is about dominating the ruck contest and providing immense pressure with his follow up efforts. If he can add something extra around the ground, that's a bonus.
I think you're right, but I'd be more concerned about bringing him into a game and him getting injured again in the first ten minutes so we're a player down...

I think you're right, but I'd be more concerned about bringing him into a game and him getting injured again in the first ten minutes so we're a player down...

Be no different to Duggan coming in an re-injuring his ankle or willie getting stress fractures again.

This was a collision injury and not a recurrence of another one

Someone go down to training and ask one of the coaches how long Nic's strides have to be before he's up for inclusion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was bagged for suggesting we play NN as a semi permanent forward.WC were running drills with him as the deepest forward.I would leave Hickey to do the heavy lifting;working up and down the ground;staying out of the forward line and replace Waterman with NN. He could do the forward rucking and if necessary have a quick run through the guts.But i dont think we will need him in there.Hickey and OAllen give us a lot of run around the ground whereas 5mns would blow NN up.NN around FF with Ryan,Rioli,Cripps,Petrol,JD and some other bloke called JK.Gawd im gunna run off and have a cold shower.I reckon there would be a few defences going for therapy!!

It seems WC have missed a trick with their nutritionist and strength and conditioning coaches. Apparently, the real experts are here on the Big Footy WC board. I cant believe they have been playing Nic Nat all these years with the extra weight- they just dont know what they are doing. A ruckman should never get injured.

I believe him losing a few kgs can only benefit his body and workload. I wouldn't compare AFL to American sports either like basketball. Not nearly as vigorous, hence they have 70+ matches a season and 3-4 a week.
I thought Max Gawn was a rake but I remember him saying he dropped 5kg in the off season the previous year and it worked wonders and lets him play significant game time where he is best in the ruck.
50 percent game time from nic is still a big benefit because he is such a competitive and dominant beast but for longevity he needs to shred. Being 30 odd kg heavier than when he started, most of it is muscle but your tendons don't grow as quick and struggle to support it. Just my thoughts but Geez hell be handy if we can get him for the crucial games in September.

I believe him losing a few kgs can only benefit his body and workload. I wouldn't compare AFL to American sports either like basketball. Not nearly as vigorous, hence they have 70+ matches a season and 3-4 a week.
I thought Max Gawn was a rake but I remember him saying he dropped 5kg in the off season the previous year and it worked wonders and lets him play significant game time where he is best in the ruck.
50 percent game time from nic is still a big benefit because he is such a competitive and dominant beast but for longevity he needs to shred. Being 30 odd kg heavier than when he started, most of it is muscle but your tendons don't grow as quick and struggle to support it. Just my thoughts but Geez hell be handy if we can get him for the crucial games in September.
Nic is different beast to a Gawn tho. Nic is much more physical and relies on power and athleticism and needs a bit more extra weight. Gawn is more of an endurance athlete and losing kg’s is beneficial to his game as it allows him to cover more ground.

It’s like asking Nat Fyfe to cut down 5kg’s when he came back from multiple injuries.

Nic is different beast to a Gawn tho. Nic is much more physical and relies on power and athleticism and needs a bit more extra weight. Gawn is more of an endurance athlete and losing kg’s is beneficial to his game as it allows him to cover more ground.

It’s like asking Nat Fyfe to cut down 5kg’s when he came back from multiple injuries.
Fyfe's injuries or size don't effect him running out the game. If you are on limited minutes it can also effect bench and rotations. Agree he is different to Gawn tho. He is obviously stronger but I wonder how much it has impacted his leap.

Last edited:

I feel like it’s only been recently in his career that he has been really heavy though. I don’t think he was anywhere near this weight in his AA 2012 year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back