Discussion Random Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I reckon there's a cook book in there somewhere...

The Dim Sim Whisperer

Or

50 Shades of Dimmies...
You're not as dim as you sim
-The Lord of Sims
-Fry Hard
-Sim City
-Rin Tin Sim

IMHO it's time to start a bacon thread!

1jl0Mlnpbp4PLEFv8B.gif

Best dimmies are steamed first, then fried for crispyness, not fry the life out of them. Then a bit of chicken salt :)
I think the late, great Allan Jeans best summed it up...

34t251g.jpg

"Dimmies with Dimma"

Paul Dimattina cooks a variety of dim sim whilst downing tinnies at a local pub, watch as he cooks up a storm and punches a few blokes on his next adventure to Hobart.

Special guests include Yan who can no longer cook, and VICPOL.

Oct 5, 2013
Swifts Creek
AFL Club
St Kilda

Yawkey way

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Red sox
Great to see England are sticking with their plan to get Smith out after it worked so well in the first test . Its begs the question , is Root Englands stupidest captain ever ? lol . Lets hope Smith belts them all over the park for a third hundred in a row . He is now 9th on the list of alltime scorers against England going past people like Clarke and M Waugh amongst others . Lets hope by the end of the series he his much higher . His average in Ashes tests for Australia is second only to Bradman . And to think when he first got into the side it was as an allrounder , a leg spinner batsmen , and i thought he was hopeless at both . Boy has he proved me wrong lol.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Batten down the hatches it’s going to be a rough one.

What you don't need is a nut job president throwing uncertainty around. We are going to go into a war because it's a good way to cash up and get spending moving again as well. The world's financial systems needs a huge overhaul and it's looking like it's at breaking point.

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda

Batten down the hatches it’s going to be a rough one.
I saw an article on my feed yesterday and can't find it, but it pointed put how the trend in Western economies if for people to pay down debt instead of spending their income. And businesses are investing less at the same time.

The RBA and government haven't got the balls to admit the elephant in the room.

Time to forget surpluses and invest in infrastructure.

Yes Kevin, you were right 11 years ago.

Yawkey way

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Red sox
What you don't need is a nut job president throwing uncertainty around. We are going to go into a war because it's a good way to cash up and get spending moving again as well. The world's financial systems needs a huge overhaul and it's looking like it's at breaking point.
I don’t see it myself although of course it’s possible.

Some things reach a point where clearly change has to happen, I think we’ve just reached that point. The question is what does that change look like and how much is it going to hurt.

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda

Some things reach a point where clearly change has to happen, I think we’ve just reached that point. The question is what does that change look like and how much is it going to hurt.

Don't see it coming any time soon. People are apathetic and governments drip feed them.enough to make them.feel like they are getting ahead.

Just look at the USA post gfc. Nothing has changed.

Look at us post banking royal commission. Nothing has changed.

Domestically I think a lot of that apathy is due pretty much 28 years of growth, with the mining boom papering over the gfc.

When you think about it, anyone under 35 years of age knows what a recession is.

Will be interesting to see how the millenials will cope when it hits.

I hope they are the catalyst TBH because the boomers don't care enough on the macro level... And probably never have.

As long as they hold on to their best egg, regardless of the damage it will cause future generations. IMO.

Yawkey way

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Red sox
I saw an article on my feed yesterday and can't find it, but it pointed put how the trend in Western economies if for people to pay down debt instead of spending their income. And businesses are investing less at the same time.

The RBA and government haven't got the balls to admit the elephant in the room.

Time to forget surpluses and invest in infrastructure.

Yes Kevin, you were right 11 years ago.
Not all debt is bad debt, good infrastructure the creates wealth and increases productivity is a smart investment.

Don't see it coming any time soon. People are apathetic and governments drip feed them.enough to make them.feel like they are getting ahead.

Just look at the USA post gfc. Nothing has changed.

Look at us post banking royal commission. Nothing has changed.

Domestically I think a lot of that apathy is due pretty much 28 years of growth, with the mining boom papering over the gfc.

When you think about it, anyone under 35 years of age knows what a recession is.

Will be interesting to see how the millenials will cope when it hits.

I hope they are the catalyst TBH because the boomers don't care enough on the macro level... And probably never have.

As long as they hold on to their best egg, regardless of the damage it will cause future generations. IMO.
Couldn’t agree more, people made a bit of noise and basically said nothing to see here move along.

I was thinking about how people will deal with it and I’m hopeful that maybe they’ll realise that greed isn’t good. That helping out friends, family, neighbours and having help in return is called a community and it’s good for society and individuals.

I know this much my dad and others who lived through a depression were thankful for what they had, worked hard and didn’t waste anything. It really left a mark on so many people, it might curtail some of the incredible waste you see around and that sense of entitlement.

Governments are just so negligent sometimes it’s frightening. Who didn’t know that the current immigration Ponzi scheme unless matched by infrastructure investment was going to end in disaster. So the logic on both sides was or still is we’d rather just hope it doesn’t implode on our watch than get belled with a period of negative growth.

Circus

Wise Veteran
Apr 19, 2012
Smithton
AFL Club
St Kilda
Sorry to divert from your insightful thoughts on our impending global economic (and climate meltdown) and political movement towards fascist dictatorships), or the comsumption of dim sims. But just watched the video tribute to the truly great Polly Farmer, and accompanying article, on the AFL site.

What I didn't know was that after 7 consecutive B&Fs for East Perth Polly wanted to go to Victoria to play VFL footy
Now here is the heartbreaking bit for us Saints. He had a choice of two clubs that wanted him, us and the f...ing Cats and Bobby f...ing Davis convinced him to go there!!

Just imagine how different our history could have been in the 60s with him?? We could have built on that to have 20 flags by now........well, a few more anyway, and he would have been at the top of the long list of St Kilda legends!! He was an heroic person and footballer!!

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Not all debt is bad debt, good infrastructure the creates wealth and increases productivity is a smart investment.

Couldn’t agree more, people made a bit of noise and basically said nothing to see here move along.

I was thinking about how people will deal with it and I’m hopeful that maybe they’ll realise that greed isn’t good. That helping out friends, family, neighbours and having help in return is called a community and it’s good for society and individuals.

I know this much my dad and others who lived through a depression were thankful for what they had, worked hard and didn’t waste anything. It really left a mark on so many people, it might curtail some of the incredible waste you see around and that sense of entitlement.

Governments are just so negligent sometimes it’s frightening. Who didn’t know that the current immigration Ponzi scheme unless matched by infrastructure investment was going to end in disaster. So the logic on both sides was or still is we’d rather just hope it doesn’t implode on our watch than get belled with a period of negative growth.
With interest rates so low, Now is the time to borrow for infrastructure projects.

The flow on effects to the economy and government coffers will be enormous.

If they want a double effect, they should look at spending on renewables and associated infrastructure.

Drastically reducing the input costs of power will be the productivity game changer.

Yawkey way

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Red sox
Ok it’s time for the really big questions, we’ve covered dim sims as a warm up now I’m moving on.

Let’s talk burgers, what constitutes a really good burger?, is a simple well made cheese burger, one with the lot or the current mountains of food served as a burger? What is your favourite burger place and why? Do you make your own what’s your secret to a good burger?.

Aug 30, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Ok it’s time for the really big questions, we’ve covered dim sims as a warm up now I’m moving on.

Let’s talk burgers, what constitutes a really good burger?, is a simple well made cheese burger, one with the lot or the current mountains of food served as a burger? What is your favourite burger place and why? Do you make your own what’s your secret to a good burger?.

I like my burgers simple & uncomplicated. Cheese burger on brioche - double beef & double cheese is a must. Jalapeño poppers on the side.

Now you're Talking
Give royale brothers in Brighton ago and Monroes Burgers & Beers 107 Acland St

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda

Home made.

200g beef mince. Not lean. Needs fat content.

Caremlised onions.

Melted cheddar on top.

Blue cheese burger melts on bottom.

Lettuce and tomato.

Pickle on the side.

Tommy sauce or if you don't like blue cheese, grab some Coles special burger sauce.

Home made chips...

Parboil the spuds. Let them.cool.

Mix in melted butter. Season and bake in the oven.

Yawkey way

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Red sox
My dad made simple delicious cheese burgers he has a huge fan of White Castle burgers, before the football we used to have clam chowder and home made cheese burgers.

So I’m a fan of good simple cheese burgers which are harder to find than you’d think. Andrews in Albert park do what is really a high end fish and chip shop burger but they’re very good. I’ve had plenty of big burgers as my kids seem obsessed by them but I’m underwhelmed by most of these huge maple bacon bourbon sauce jobs.

I make a good burger but you need good meat 80/20 no fat no flavour, wagyu mince is perfect. Don’t spare the pepper and salt, made an indentation in the top of one side so it doesn’t dome up add onions then a slice of cheese. Cook one side then flip the burger onions on top with the cheese finish it under a metal dome, it steams a bit and stays moist. I also love a smashed opinion burger with cheese, I think you can find a recipe online. I almost forgot the pickle, pickle mustard and sauce.

PS. I also use the orange cheese, it melts better and has more flavour imo.

Last edited:

Yawkey way

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Red sox
Home made.

200g beef mince. Not lean. Needs fat content.

Caremlised onions.

Melted cheddar on top.

Blue cheese burger melts on bottom.

Lettuce and tomato.

Pickle on the side.

Tommy sauce or if you don't like blue cheese, grab some Coles special burger sauce.

Home made chips...

Parboil the spuds. Let them.cool.

Mix in melted butter. Season and bake in the oven.
I love the blue cheese on my wings.

I reckon Trump is trodding on any shoots the markets put up with his trade wars and posturing. He's uncertainty and instability personified. His erratic diplomacy means the rest of the world feel his ripple effect too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back