David Teague appointed Carlton coach

Oct 9, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
He might be the right choice, but they needed him to coach out the last two games then go through a process to get the role.

The process being him competing against other coaches trying to get the position and see what ideas they bring.

This is a reflection on the board being lazy.

Good luck to him, and I am enjoying the new look Carlton.

Adz

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
He might be the right choice, but they needed him to coach out the last two games then go through a process to get the role.

The process being him competing against other coaches trying to get the position and see what ideas they bring.

This is a reflection on the board being lazy.

Good luck to him, and I am enjoying the new look Carlton.
Looked out of his depth Sunday.

Sep 2, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Brad Scott left out in the cold

DistantCourteousGecko-small.gif

Aug 27, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
Brad Scott will be upset but wealthy, Id be pretty sure he would have thought he was in the running for one of those roles.

Oh well he'll just have to get by on Norths hefty payout.

Will Teague become the next Bolton or Parkin, hard to say I cant see the sense in appointing him now, lose the last two badly and it will put doubts in everyones minds.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
You can't argue with results. The improvement of the players under DT's watch was too hard for the board to ignore..

Obviously we made a huge offer to Clarkson, who was tempted it seems, but declined it.

I don't think the fanbase would have copped having Ross Lyon or Cuddly Ken Hinkley as senior coach.

Teague already knows the strengths and weaknesses of our playing list, which makes the off and pre season preparation easier as well.

Thrilled with this appointment, I honestly feared the Carlton board would go for the old fart from Freo or Port, Dim Watson and Puke Farcy's credibility just took another snowdive.

Duskfire

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Brad Scott will be upset but wealthy, Id be pretty sure he would have thought he was in the running for one of those roles.

Oh well he'll just have to get by on Norths hefty payout.

Will Teague become the next Bolton or Parkin, hard to say I cant see the sense in appointing him now, lose the last two badly and it will put doubts in everyones minds.

Why? If they are convinced after 8 rounds, why would another 2 make a difference?

Jul 11, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Could be the first year in a while that the Roos won't be in a position to make a million dollar offer to a free agent that won't come anyway - $800,000 will be wasted on an ex Coach who's probably earning almost as much working in the media or for the AFL.

Gonna quote myself here cos too many misunderstand the salary cap machinations.
Ok I keep seeing people think of "warchests" as a liter pile of money in a vault, which is simply not true.

In Norths case, retiring Boomer, dal, Petrie, and other player movement combined with a depleted top end of the list meant we had extra money in the salary cap for player payments, which is a cap that's separate to the football department (coaches and assistants) cap. With the extra space we renegotiated contracts to bring the bulk of the expenses forward, thus creating even more space in following years. As the years went on and no fishes took the bait the club continued this process and will probably keep doing so for a little while longer, unless they pick up a Marquee player this year but I don't see it happening until a better judgement can be made on Rhyce.

The football department cap, meanwhile, is a soft cap, which means once you spend the maximum you can overspend but are taxed by the league at what I'd guess would be a rate of $1 for every dollar you go over the cap. I've also heard elsewhere that Brad's cost in the event he doesn't get a gig would be closer to 400k, but it's neither here nor there, it doesn't factor into player salary cap so shouldn't restrict the club too much.

Aug 4, 2003
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Interesting stuff.

Assuming Ratten gets the Saints...what are the odds of 3 successful Caretaker Coach appointments in 1 season?

We’ve had less than 5 get the gigs over the last 20 years odd haven’t we?

Roos, Wallace, Leppitsch, Harvey

Probably forgetting someone of note.

Back