Free Agency Stephen Coniglio

Where do you think he will play in 2020 and beyond?

• GWS

Votes: 61 12.1%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 179 35.4%
  • Carlton

Votes: 185 36.6%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • West Coast

Votes: 27 5.3%
  • Other

Votes: 40 7.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Lol So much so they trade banned the Swans.

Did they trade ban the Tigers when they got Lynch?

The AFL media is bad enough with Victorian bias but to now try and push this narrative is an even bigger joke
Not true. It was the cumulative effect of luring Tippett, buddy on big contracts (the buddy contract was obscene) along with a strong likelihood that the swans had all but secured a third player on big money that lead to a strong campaign by club presidents to stop Sydney using cola to recruit players where it was designed as a retention mechanism to offset high cost of living.

I do agree the trade ban was ridiculously heavy handed but the afl had warned them against going after another big name and they ignored the warning at their peril.

Kuuz

Norm Smith Medallist
May 5, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory TSM
Throw in another edit mate because you can’t mention Vickery without mentioning O’Rourke.

Mmm I don't really see the two as equitable. O'Rourke we did pay a late first rounder for, but the task was for us to develop him into something. Didn't pay off, but arguably the key issue were a continuous set of soft tissue injuries that all but robbed him of consistency and pace. There was always that risk when you pay on potential.

Vickery was meant to be an instant in and a solution to a forward/ruck issue and blew up in our face with him playing some terrible games and ending up not even able to see out his contract.

Vickery fell well below what was expected of him - JOR failed to live up to potential. I feel like clubs consistently run into the later, the former is far more rare and jarring.

Feb 19, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
IMO I couldn't care less if Hawks land Cogs or not. Graham Wright always manages to pull something out of the fire come trade day (just ignore that one year with Vickery), so we'll be right.

What I am bloody concerned about though is Gil and AFL House actively interfering in open-market player trades, and if rumours are to be believed, providing additional incentives outside the trade cap. Whilst I doubt GWS have many issues with this approach, I wouldn't in their situation, I do think this sets a dangerous precedent. I am again pretty disappointed that all AFL media have largely overlooked the issues/implications of a non-impartial AFL House and just seem to be carrying on as business as normal.

It's hard enough to manage AFL lists these days, without the need for Gil and his gremlins to put each of their fingers into every trade pie that they consider "beneficial" to their interests.

I'll stop my tangent now and let the bickering recommence.

EDIT: The key article in question...

Gil draft or trade tampering to keep to the afls pet project going

4THAWN

Club Legend
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
charlie cameron - tom papley
lachie neale - stephen coniglio
lincoln mcarthy - jack martin

why not? we have 0 reason to hit the draft in the next two years the time is now to trade in mature players and if brisbane can do it why can't we?
charlie cameron - pick 12
lachie neale - picks 6, 19 and 55 minus pick 30
mccarthy - picks 42 and 60 minus picks 54 and 57.

For starters, those players all came relatively cheaply. Cost them Picks 6, 12, 19 and 55 getting pick 30 back to bring Lachie Neale and Charlie Cameron into the club, and McCarthy was almost free, a very cheap pick-up indeed due to his injury history.

Then add in getting Robinson in F/A at the start of the rebuild, whos been a B/F winner and still playing great footy for them.

They get Lyons for nothing as a F/A, very promising young midfielder indeed last year.

So they already got these players cheap, and every single one of them has improved dramatically in their short stints(minus Robbo he's been there longer). Lachie Neale goes from a #2 midfielder to a brownlow winner in 1 year. Charlie Cameron goes from an exciting young pressure forward to a star goalkicker, capable of winning games off his own boot in 2 years. Mccarthy did anyone even know who he was at Geelong? Comes to brisbane where they get him on the park for an entire season in his first year, playing the best footy of his career.

Would be hard to re-create.

Jun 6, 2011
Goonellebah
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Islanders
What the AFL gives, the AFL can take away.

Best to stand on your own two feet instead of relying on the unreliable.
Couldn't agree more. The days of our club looking for a leg up should have ended a long time ago. And to be fair to the current administration, we haven't sought any assistance (publicly at least) and nor should we.

That’s my first question if I’m his manager.

But “sack Leon” mightn’t be the answer he was looking for!!
If they offer Stephen a place in the AFL marketing material distributed in NSW and pay him $300,000 for the image rights then it would achieve t he desired results

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
That’s my first question if I’m his manager.

But “sack Leon” mightn’t be the answer he was looking for!!

See that is the White Elephant in the room no one in the AFL media dares to ask.

Leon Cameron is a significant part of the equation if Cogs leaves GWS, let's not beat around the bush here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tushay

All Australian
Apr 11, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
rewatch the game... after quarter time Cunnington & Higgins took control, our midfield struggled & you guys were to quick... which put our backline on the back foot. No Impey hurt off the backline for us & getting ripped apart in the middle destroyed us. must say though Chippa can't beat Brown 1 on 1. so if anything it was our midfield that lowered their colours which affected everything else.

That's a very long way of saying "yep, we lost".

See that is the White Elephant in the room no one in the AFL media dares to ask.

Leon Cameron is a significant part of the equation if Cogs leaves GWS, let's not beat around the bush here.
It's the availability of his team mates that has a greater impact. They've lost enough talent through injury to cripple other teams without the roster of first rounders.

Nash88

Senior List
Sep 2, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Carlton CEO officially makes comment on Gillon's unfortunate comments.

Now why would he do that i wonder?

😂😂😂😂😂

Collingwood coach officially makes comment on Gillons unfortunate comments.
Now why would he do that I wonder?

He was asked the question mate, rewatch the segment on the news and was very hesitant in saying he disagreed with the comments.
Means absolutely nothing.

Jan 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
😂😂😂😂😂

Collingwood coach officially makes comment on Gillons unfortunate comments.
Now why would he do that I wonder?

He was asked the question mate, rewatch the segment on the news and was very hesitant in saying he disagreed with the comments.
Means absolutely nothing.

Buckley is a coach.

Liddle is a CEO talking to a superior CEO. He wouldn't touch it with a bargepole if he wasn't into Coniglio up to his ears.

Nash88

Senior List
Sep 2, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Buckley is a coach.

Liddle is a CEO talking to a superior CEO. He wouldn't touch it with a bargepole if he wasn't into Coniglio up to his ears.

Herein lies the difference between the two clubs and their CEOs.
Hawthorn have kept completely and utterly silent no need to say anything if you know the outcome at the end of the coniglio saga is there?

Jan 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Herein lies the difference between the two clubs and their CEOs.
Hawthorn have kept completely and utterly silent no need to say anything if you know the outcome at the end of the coniglio saga is there?

I personally don't know. I'm happy to wait and see.

I do however think you are a BS artist:) That much is obvious to most readers of the Hawks Board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back