List Mgmt. Trade & Draft UltraThread- Warning, May Contain Speculation #combinethethreads

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forget Venables over Berry

THIS was the clear stuff up for mine 🤦‍♂️

View attachment 726559

One is getting BOG'S in his second full season of AFL.

The other is still learning to kick a drop punt in the WAFL.
Yep big mistake. Can't change it though.

Worpel has tidied up his kicking and added outside run to make him a very well balanced mid.

Now, if we can get Ainsworth to hold a football properly and kick it properly we may......never mind

Cripps v Sheed was a fu** up even though we all love Sheed ..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Hardly . Sheed won the lark medal for the best u18s championship player and had standout games in the wafl before that .

Cripps on the other hand was a chubby one dimensional clearance mid beating up on smaller kids .

No one knew he would grow another 2.5 inches and now beats up on everyone bar yeo

This. Shuey was basically ready to go from day 1 but he couldnt get on the field. People on here were desperate to see him get out on the park just passed on training reports.
Shuey was never a high possession mid until he was well into his career.

DV has talent no doubt, but has more question marks than shuey over his ability to find it.

Shuey was never a high possession mid until he was well into his career.

DV has talent no doubt, but has more question marks than shuey over his ability to find it.
He wasn't high possession but he was still finding decent number of possies for mids ( he was coping a tag as well).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just bulk Anus up and play him in the coal face. He's only gonna make it as that or as a tagger.

Is his kicking really that bad?
Or could he manage with what he's got if his other attributes stack up?
It's pretty bad. He needs time to execute his drawn out and technically awful kicking style. Usually goes short and safe as a result.
His longer kicks (about 40m) are to contests. His kicks lack the penetration and accuracy required to do anything other than kicking to a pack.

Berry has been one of those draftees that excelled in the AFL environment. Nobody would be predicted he'd improve like he has. At draft time he was considered very vanilla HBF who didnt have much scope to improve as others (Venables for example had much higher expected scope for improvement).
This is laughably bad revisionist history.
Berry was being discussed as a potential number-one pick during his draft year.
Here's Cal Twomey's take back in June 2016:
Jarrod Berry
Midfielder/half-back
191cm/80kg
5/2/98
North Ballarat Rebels/Vic Country

Berry won All Australian honours last year for his work off half-back for Vic Country, but is likely to be pushed up the ground for this year's carnival. With his height, agility and strength, Berry is best as an inside midfielder who finds the ball and bursts away. He can also push forward to create an awkward match-up near goal or play across centre-half back, and has shown his leadership qualities over the past couple of years. Berry is one of a number of players in the mix as No.1 pick contenders.
Totally screams "vanilla" and limited "scope to improve" :rolleyes:

Here we have someone who was
  • 191cm
  • Versatile
  • The standout performer in the draft combine (1st in beep test and 3km time trial, 4th in repeat sprints, 6th in agility and 3rd in kicking)
  • Considered to be one of the toughest, if not the toughest player in his cohort
  • U18 All-Australian as an underage player, AFL Academy Mitchell medallist
  • The captain of his teams (AFL Academy, Vic Country and North Ballarat).

Here's what I posted shortly before the draft:
We've been calling out for tall, athletic midfield prospects for years on this board. Since the 2015 Grand Final (or even before) we've been calling out for better on-field leadership. Then someone like Berry appears in front of us and we complain because he hasn't played enough midfield and hasn't picked up enough touches this year?

Do you know what they call tall, athletic full time midfielders with leadership skills, U18 AA and AFL Academy pedigree and stellar draft-year seasons? Number one picks.
We're picking at 13-15 tomorrow. We shouldn't be expecting perfect or vaguely near-perfect prospects in that range. The only reason that we may have the opportunity to pick Berry is that he's had a middling draft year (on account of injuries and patchy form) and his best position isn't fully settled. Take away either of those issues and he's firmly a top 10, if not top 5 pick.

Nah - you're right - there's no way we could have predicted that he would develop into a very good player...

Hmm

Lets revisit 2014 - Duggan @ 11 - I think a correct choice with Ellis the only claim after that.
Lamb didn't work out but that was not a talent thing.
Can't see an inside mid (with speed & kicking ability) after #11 although Caleb Daniels deserves a mention.
Note - The selection of Nelson deserves credit.

2015 - traded for Redden (an inside mid with kicking skills)
Can't see an inside mid of note after #28. Maybe Menegola maybe. In fact Oliver & Hopper probably only ones in entire draft.

2016 - venables @13 with Berry @ 17 & SPP @ 18 only other inside mids. I accept English, Hayward, Fisher were there after that but none are inside mids.

2017 - successful draft.

I know you're strong on Berry but if we accept that was a miss - I'm not sure exactly what WC should have done differently in those drafts.
I really liked Venables selection, he was a hff through the champs but played midfield for pegs. Berry was a hbf through the champs and had a bit of midfield time later in TAC cup. So both similar lead ups to the draft, but Venners had more x factor.

But they've had two very different experiences since in the afl system, Berry almost instantly got afl exposure as the lions weren't great, plus had a clean bill of health. Venables missed most of his first year, then had to crack into a seriously good side with a limited preseason. He was never going to get much midfield exposure with our midfield. This year he again had limited preseason and now a serious concussion. Hoping he gets a big preseason in and becomes part of the midfield group, as I think he'll become a jet.

I really liked Venables selection, he was a hff through the champs but played midfield for pegs. Berry was a hbf through the champs and had a bit of midfield time later in TAC cup. So both similar lead ups to the draft, but Venners had more x factor.

But they've had two very different experiences since in the afl system, Berry almost instantly got afl exposure as the lions weren't great, plus had a clean bill of health. Venables missed most of his first year, then had to crack into a seriously good side with a limited preseason. He was never going to get much midfield exposure with our midfield. This year he again had limited preseason and now a serious concussion. Hoping he gets a big preseason in and becomes part of the midfield group, as I think he'll become a jet.

I agree. I was actually hoping for Berry or Venables at the draft, so was happy with the pick.

Venables’ seeming lack of development in the middle last year has me concerned that we won’t reach what I’d hoped when we selected him. His injuries have certainly held him back. But I’d like to point out that in the first game last season against Sydney, Venables started the first bounce... not on a flank... but right in the guts. The Match Committee clearly rated him after a full pre-season as a potential midfielder. Maybe that has changed following a somewhat stagnant season last year, but at the start of 2018 he was definitely being groomed as a mid. I hope he gets a full preseason next year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back