David Teague appointed Carlton coach

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
It never is. The 'cox plate' coaches as you put it already have jobs. The ones that don't are either untried or tried and failed.

Found it strange they only interviewed two people. Ross Lyon is clearly gettable and is selling himself publicly every chance he gets. Roos gave the same answers as before he took the Melbourne job when asked. Some people laughed about Brad Scott but they interviewed Voss.

HurleyHepsHird

Ghost Stories for the End of the World
Oct 2, 2011
Between the Lines
AFL Club
West Coast
Good. Already making a positive impact and seems like a good bloke.
He was a good assistant at WC, well respected by the other staff and really loved by the players. WC backline probably overperformed during 11-12. Part of that was the leadership of Glass, part solid structural changes which weren't necessarily Woosha's forte, being someone who originally preferred a more man on man/accountable backline.

Glad to see him get a senior gig. He was always talked about as a future senior coach amongst Eagles supporters, but then I guess fell off the radar or out of favour with the public due to his time under Bolton.

The only times I've heard him discussed by people with actual knowledge of the club, it's always mentioned that he has a great connection and relationships with his players, which seems to be the most important aspect of a modern coach. Guys like Dimma, who may seem gruff, Fagan or Simmo, do maintain strong bonds with the group, which allows for pretty open feedback and a more tightly knit culture. Also one of the big improvements Buckley undertook. That level headed, and more personable coach, instead of the headmaster, or aloof tactician clicks with todays generation and that's Teague from all reports, so hopefully this works out. On the other hand Carlton bungling it might have created the slim possibility Cripps would one day return to WA.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Found it strange they only interviewed two people. Ross Lyon is clearly gettable and is selling himself publicly every chance he gets. Roos gave the same answers as before he took the Melbourne job when asked. Some people laughed about Brad Scott but they interviewed Voss.

Yeah cause most Blues fans wanted Lyon over Teague lol.

Get a clue Bunk

JohnnyFontane90

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Historically the 'due dillegence' extensive interview process got us brendan bolton.

While the 'let's stick with the hot hand caretaker and go on summer vacation early' process got us brett ratten.

Don't think Lyon was the right fit and while Roos was open to a position, that position wasn't a head coach. Don't think any of the other potential candidates could have shown what teague showed. maybe ratten again, but i've always felt the bridges are burned there.

HurleyHepsHird

Ghost Stories for the End of the World
Oct 2, 2011
Between the Lines
AFL Club
West Coast
I'm not a Lyon hater, but haven't Carlton fans suffered enough?

Teague has a pretty clear eyed vision for how the side should play. I'm not sure if they could live with Lyon turning SPS, Curnow etc. into workman like plodders.

Aug 4, 2003
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
I still think Ross Lyon is a chance to end up there as Director of Coaching or some such.

Will be the best way to save face (and money) if Freo decide to move on during the off season.

frenchconnection

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
Wembley downs
AFL Club
West Coast
Good luck Teaguey. I would have preferred him at North instead of Shaw, way more experienced and articulate. And a Shinboner!
I thought David Teague used to play for Carlton back in his playing days? Anyway congrats to him - he has done his apprenticeship and very deserving of being given the gig. Wish him all the best, except when Carlton play West Coast of course☺️!

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton

Based on Freo's last 4 years of results, why on earth would we want Lyon? And the way he carries on is enough of a turn off.

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
He was a good assistant at WC, well respected by the other staff and really loved by the players. WC backline probably overperformed during 11-12. Part of that was the leadership of Glass, part solid structural changes which weren't necessarily Woosha's forte, being someone who originally preferred a more man on man/accountable backline.

Glad to see him get a senior gig. He was always talked about as a future senior coach amongst Eagles supporters, but then I guess fell off the radar or out of favour with the public due to his time under Bolton.

The only times I've heard him discussed by people with actual knowledge of the club, it's always mentioned that he has a great connection and relationships with his players, which seems to be the most important aspect of a modern coach. Guys like Dimma, who may seem gruff, Fagan or Simmo, do maintain strong bonds with the group, which allows for pretty open feedback and a more tightly knit culture. Also one of the big improvements Buckley undertook. That level headed, and more personable coach, instead of the headmaster, or aloof tactician clicks with todays generation and that's Teague from all reports, so hopefully this works out. On the other hand Carlton bungling it might have created the slim possibility Cripps would one day return to WA.

Similar has been said from his time at Adelaide...that the Adelaide forwards in particular loved him. While he was their coach they made a Grand Final and were playing high-scoring footy. Seems like the main reason McGovern chose Carlton was to be coached by Teague.

Seems to have a good balance of that rapport with players and other staff which is one of the main skills head coaches need these days, but also seems to be a decent tactician as well.

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
I thought David Teague used to play for Carlton back in his playing days? Anyway congrats to him - he has done his apprenticeship and very deserving of being given the gig. Wish him all the best, except when Carlton play West Coast of course☺!

Played for both North and Carlton.

Although at Carlton he won a B&F and then we gave him the opportunity to start his coaching career at the Northern Bullants, so i reckon he'd have more of a connection with Carlton.

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
I thought David Teague used to play for Carlton back in his playing days? Anyway congrats to him - he has done his apprenticeship and very deserving of being given the gig. Wish him all the best, except when Carlton play West Coast of course☺!
First played at North for 4 years, then traded to Carlton

matey

Premiership Player
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
So the players were told yesterday. Why didn’t Carlton arrange a media conference and announce it straight after. Lucky they aren’t registered on the stock market ..... members are sort of like shareholders aren’t they!

Back