Past Nick Smith - farewell, retired 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

I would have to have Smith in my top 5 favourite Swans I've ever seen in my lifetime. Probably just gets the nod for fifth place over Reg because he was just excellent from pretty much day one.

they forgot to list your top 5 in his player honours :p

IIRC he was extremely homesick in his first year and a bit with the club. I think Roosy eluded to it before he made his debut. Fantastic stuff to see him turn it around and become the player he was at the bloods.

The ever reliable Nick Smith. Congrats on a great career.
I seriously cannot contemplate him wearing any colours other than red&white. Seemed like such a perfect fit for us.

Only just discovered he kept Rioli goalless in 2014 GF as well as 2012. That's the definition of Kipling's "keeping your head when all about you are losing theirs."

Such a fabulously reliable club stalwart. He and Grundy one of the great defensive pairs.

One thing which stood out to me about those two were that they were some of the rare few who didn't drop their bundles in finals. Their play stayed stable or actually improved from the regular season. That's a sign of really mentally strong players imo.

I was perusing the Swans Hall of Fame this afternoon.

Found myself wondering - if Nick Smith had a flowing mullet or something else that made him stand out on the field … would he be in the Hall of Fame?

I reckon he deserves to be.
Yes.

Look at the media's agenda to get Isaac Quaynor in the All Australian side this year.

Now I like Quaynor as a player. He's tough and fair and he has been very good as a small defender this year. That he has an army of media personalities already mounting his case, while they wouldn't be able to pick Smith out of a line-up, pisses me the **** off.

Have said it before and I'll say it again. This sport sucks.

Yes.

Look at the media's agenda to get Isaac Quaynor in the All Australian side this year.

Now I like Quaynor as a player. He's tough and fair and he has been very good as a small defender this year. That he has an army of media personalities already mounting his case, while they wouldn't be able to pick Smith out of a line-up, pisses me the **** off.

Feel like your football watching has you at the groundhog day movie point where he has just given up .

Just don't drive off the cliff with the groundhog 😄

If you haven't seen the movie I sound even dumber 😂

IMG_4257.jpeg

Yes.

And yet the Swans Hall of Fame decisions are made by the club - and I’m sure Nick Smith was held in huge regard internally.

Perhaps we simply need Nick Daicos to mention him in his next media appearance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And yet the Swans Hall of Fame decisions are made by the club - and I’m sure Nick Smith was held in huge regard internally.

Perhaps we simply need Nick Daicos to mention him in his next media appearance.
He hasn't been out of the game long enough for the Hall of Fame I believe.

I was referring more to the lack of attention he got throughout his career that he deserved.

I was referring more to the lack of attention he got throughout his career that he deserved.
Ah, I didn’t realise there was a qualification period.

But you’re exactly right re: the lack of recognition during his career. The lack of Brownlow votes in particular was a blight on the game.

preach GIF by Shalita Grant

Remove this Banner Ad

Back