Doro

Collective Narcissism Support Group
Sep 22, 2011
62 West Wallaby St.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Wensleydale Wanderers
If we got cognilio as FA would GWS swap there 1st and there compo pick for Adelaide pick (8or 9) then we trade those two picks for Martin and papley — or would they be to cranky ?????

Roughly Pick 14 & 15 for pick 9? Not likely.
I think we'd need our future picks involved to land both.

gbatman

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2008
Behind You...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justice League
I hope we have a crack at Brad Crouch as well. RFA next season so there is that to apply pressure, problem is they would be asking for two first round picks and he is probably worth that but we have other players to chase such as Papley who will also require a first rounder. We would have a hell of a midfield if we were to add Coniglio and Crouch. That with Walsh and Cripps would be one of the premier midfields in the competition.

Sharks On A Plane

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 12, 2006
Y6le
AFL Club
Carlton
I hope we have a crack at Brad Crouch as well. RFA next season so there is that to apply pressure, problem is they would be asking for two first round picks and he is probably worth that but we have other players to chase such as Papley who will also require a first rounder. We would have a hell of a midfield if we were to add Coniglio and Crouch. That with Walsh and Cripps would be one of the premier midfields in the competition.
Crows might be willing to deal one of the Crouch brothers as the Sloane-Crouch-Crouch combo is very one-paced (with CEY and Greenwood adding to that as possible midfield rotations).

Problem is they would surely prefer to keep Brad and punt Matt... Brad would cost a lot which given his injury history constitutes a big risk. He still has so much upside though, very talented player.

Jimmyonesix

Premiership Player
Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Roughly Pick 14 & 15 for pick 9? Not likely.
I think we'd need our future picks involved to land both.
One and a second and downgrade — I don’t like missing Two year first drafts think that’s why we went stocker so we still effectively have a first every year ???

Jimmyonesix

Premiership Player
Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
I think missing first years for Melbourne collingwood and Essendon in consecutive years will come back on them when they were rebuilding ?

gbatman

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2008
Behind You...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justice League
Crows might be willing to deal one of the Crouch brothers as the Sloane-Crouch-Crouch combo is very one-paced (with CEY and Greenwood adding to that as possible midfield rotations).

Problem is they would surely prefer to keep Brad and punt Matt... Brad would cost a lot which given his injury history constitutes a big risk. He still has so much upside though, very talented player.

Put in the groundwork and when he is a FA next season, get him then. Timing may just be better next season too.

Sep 4, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Cleveland Cavaliers
Players like Ryan and Rioli are so so?

Lately, think we have seen in our club, that winning games doesn't revolve around which small forward kicks the most goals

It will always be around having ample opportunities(forward 50 entries)

Remember sum of all parts?

An on Cameron, I don't see any other small forward in that class, currently
On this as well, I believe a good side will make average small forwards look like good small forwards.

So, if we aren't getting a top line elite small forward then I'm putting my money and assets into improving the rest of my team and taking the don't overpay option.

Bamboo Harvester

Premiership Player
Sep 19, 2018
Shark Bay
AFL Club
Carlton
Article in afl.com analysing players from each club that may not be there next year...this is the Woods one.

I'd be looking pretty hard at Max Lynch as a dfa if this was the case. Free hit at a young ruck who played a blinder against the NB's earlier this year.

Sier also mentioned, but he's a bit of a loose cannon....

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
On this as well, I believe a good side will make average small forwards look like good small forwards.

So, if we aren't getting a top line elite small forward then I'm putting my money and assets into improving the rest of my team and taking the don't overpay option.

I agree with the theory

As an example, SPS is having a decent season, now imagine he was in a top 4 side.

Players will generally improve when they are surrounded by better players, in our case, can't wait till they hit that critical age/experience level together

Thehurdle

Senior List
Sep 16, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
GCS announce 4 contract extension signings, including Will Brodie. What’s interesting is Callum Ah Chee remains uncontracted with 2 rounds to go. Suggests he’s on his way out. Worth a risk as a small forward. Can do it all.

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
I agree with the theory

As an example, SPS is having a decent season, now imagine he was in a top 4 side.

Players will generally improve when they are surrounded by better players, in our case, can't wait till they hit that critical age/experience level together
This is very true but I always wonder if it’s our perception that changes as well. Look at someone like Sexton. He will kick 40 goals in a bottom of the ladder side and we don’t even hear about him. If he had that exact same season in a top 4 side where people are focused on them he would be perceived as a lot better player. Compare that to someone like Rioli who really doesn’t do much yet people still rate (myself included) because he is in a strong side. Someone like him or Papley though in non bottom 4 sides would have more opportunities and most likely kick more goals.
One thing I would say is that I remember a lot of people of this board saying how much better our kids would look in a better side. Now that we are a better side it hasn’t really changed their output as a group at all. Role players can get by in good sides, 1 goal and 10 touch games when you’re winning and you are playing a role. The same stats in a losing side and you’re not doing enough. The really good players are good players regardless.

Doro

Collective Narcissism Support Group
Sep 22, 2011
62 West Wallaby St.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Wensleydale Wanderers
One and a second and downgrade — I don’t like missing Two year first drafts think that’s why we went stocker so we still effectively have a first every year ???

Yeah I understand your thinking about trading out of the first round. I don't get why the Giants would do the deal you mentioned-its one of those drafts where the player they fancy at 9 is still there at 15.

ItsAllAboutMe

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
With Teague now confirm, and the Adelaide players who are reported to have loved working with him... I just wonder if the Crouch boys are gettable if we might become a destination.

Ellis? Couldn't be less interested.
Just can't see what he may bring that would make us better.

Thomas for Ellis makes sense I guess, but it's not particularly exciting at all.
We need to find some speed and smarts exiting the back-line and not sure Ellis will deliver on this for us.

If a coach did need to be appointed before players were willing to commit to us, which players may this be?
Makes sense that it may be players that have been coached by Teague. Maybe the Adelaide thing does have some to it.

EDIT: Good thing we don't have to discuss Brodie any more, given his commitment to Gold Coast.

Last edited:

Omega Blue

Premiership Player
Mar 30, 2012
Ballarat
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Orlando Magic
Interesting that this year all of Newman, Thomas, Seton and Simpson have averaged 20 disposals a game coming out of the backline, realistically we need to replace 40 touches within the next year with Thomas and Simpson eventually phased out.
Docherty with account for 20, which leaves us looking for another 20 somewhere else.
Whether we do it internally with Stocker or externally with Ellis, we will need to find 20 disposals somewhere.

dlb99

Club Legend
Sep 14, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Article in afl.com analysing players from each club that may not be there next year...this is the Woods one.

View attachment 726875

I'd be looking pretty hard at Max Lynch as a dfa if this was the case. Free hit at a young ruck who played a blinder against the NB's earlier this year.

Sier also mentioned, but he's a bit of a loose cannon....

Why couldn't we make a play for Brayden Sier? Andrew Russell could fix him?

ItsAllAboutMe

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Id wait until next year then

Seriously?? You wouldnt give up a first round pick for Brad Crouch... You wait 12 months you are no guarantee to get him.. Get him this year and he gets to work with Crippa, Walsh, Dow... Maybe Conigs and we have our midfield set for the next 8 years.. Another 12 months of development into Mckay & Charlie and our list is pretty much set.. Only real hole is a long term replacement for Kruezar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back