Oppo Camp Jaidyn Stephenson (Traded to Nth Melb. 2020)

Should This Thread Be Kept Open?

• Yes

Votes: 30 54.5%
  • No

Votes: 25 45.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not even a remotely logical conclusion actually. People's response to misbehaviour does indeed serve a very important purpose in society. It is a major deterrent! Especially in a situation like this...Having a paid 20 week holiday is the lesser punishment here. There's no logic in thinking that enforcement of morality/rules exists purely in a dry unemotive institutional orbit, rather than also in conjunction with general societal pressure and expectation. The two go hand in hand.
Stephenson is still on his first contract. You might think he’s having a 20 (actually 10) week holiday, but he’s not getting match payments for those 10 weeks, meaning he’s also somewhere in the vicinity of $30-$40,000 out of pocket in addition to the $20,000 fine he had to pay. If you think some wan*ers on a forum laying in to him is more of a deterrent than the punishment he was handed then you’ve got rocks in your head.

Stephenson is still on his first contract. You might think he’s having a 20 (actually 10) week holiday, but he’s not getting match payments for those 10 weeks, meaning he’s also somewhere in the vicinity of $30-$40,000 out of pocket in addition to the $20,000 fine he had to pay. If you think some wan*ers on a forum laying in to him is more of a deterrent than the punishment he was handed then you’ve got rocks in your head.
If you think my post was only referring to Stevenson specifically or the condemnation he has received on Big footy then you either can't read and comprehend basic concepts or... You are making a disingenuous point..
The shame and condemnation from society and peers is often a much bigger punishment and deterrent than anything courts etc dish out. In fact.. our judges take this into account and refer to it in sentencing decisions... All the time.. hence the important role that peer / societal condemnation plays.
Do you think that Stevenson would choose, were he given the choice, to pay $60k as a fine and no-one ever knows, or pay nothing and the media splash the story everywhere... What do you think he'd choose bud? That should help you understand why I'm saying it's a nonsense to say our thoughts and opinions on the matter serve no purpose collectively. Not to mention that we are in a footy forum that exists for the sole purpose of allowing us to discuss and vent as we see fit.

Our response to misbehavior differs significantly depending whether the subjects are:

- Politicians
- Our children
- Other people’s children
- Peers
- Young people
- Old people
- Re-offenders
- Disabled

So what should it be for footy players? Nobody is suggesting that they shouldn’t be sanctioned for misbehavior - but is that the role of us fans to do?
To the first part of your post I say .. yep obviously.

As to the second part: You said that people condemning Stevenson on here serves no purpose. I've explained why that is wrong and why it does... in a collective societal deterrent and legal context firstly.

But more relevantly... this is a fan forum for opinions and expression. The expression of opinions and sometimes emotion is the purpose of these forums. So people's posts condemning Stevenson serve the primary purpose they come onto here as passionate Collingwood fans.... for the purpose of expressing themselves. Bigfooty exists for no other reason. What "purpose" beyond that did you ever think there was on Bigfooty? Those who want to judge and vent shouldn't be constantly shut down by those who like to put themselves above that kind of thing. Do you not appreciate that?

I find the imbecility of what he did incredibly annoying and I've lost respect for him because I find it hard to respect complete imbeciles. Love him as a player. It will all be forgotten by the start of next year... but for now that's how I feel about him. This is an opinion and an expression of feeling. That's the purpose!

To the first part of your post I say .. yep obviously.

As to the second part: You said that people condemning Stevenson on here serves no purpose. I've explained why that is wrong and why it does... in a collective societal deterrent and legal context firstly.

But more relevantly... this is a fan forum for opinions and expression. The expression of opinions and sometimes emotion is the purpose of these forums. So people's posts condemning Stevenson serve the primary purpose they come onto here as passionate Collingwood fans.... for the purpose of expressing themselves. Bigfooty exists for no other reason. What "purpose" beyond that did you ever think there was on Bigfooty? Those who want to judge and vent shouldn't be constantly shut down by those who like to put themselves above that kind of thing. Do you not appreciate that?

I find the imbecility of what he did incredibly annoying and I've lost respect for him because I find it hard to respect complete imbeciles. Love him as a player. It will all be forgotten by the start of next year... but for now that's how I feel about him. This is an opinion and an expression of feeling. That's the purpose!

Us punters venting our frustration here on this forum (that we all truly hope and pray the players never read) is one thing ...

... folks venting their frustration on players’ social media accounts (which is where this discussion began) is something else.

Us punters venting our frustration here on this forum (that we all truly hope and pray the players never read) is one thing ...

... folks venting their frustration on players’ social media accounts (which is where this discussion began) is something else.
Yes I totally agree that is completely out of order. Bigfoot though is a public forum for the expression of thought... a totally different story.
Sorry you copped it. I was venting a bit generally about what I see as a lack of tolerance on this board for those who post with passion, quirkiness etc. Too many people on here are way too busy telling others how they should go about expressing themselves rather than just being accepting. There's pages on here devoted to posters telling other posters they are too negative, too positive, too emotional, not logical enough, not empathetic enough, too this too that, they should be more this or that. It bugs me. The conformists on here will make this a very dull place if they get their way. (Not talking about you)

If you think my post was only referring to Stevenson specifically or the condemnation he has received on Big footy then you either can't read and comprehend basic concepts or... You are making a disingenuous point..
The shame and condemnation from society and peers is often a much bigger punishment and deterrent than anything courts etc dish out. In fact.. our judges take this into account and refer to it in sentencing decisions... All the time.. hence the important role that peer / societal condemnation plays.
Do you think that Stevenson would choose, were he given the choice, to pay $60k as a fine and no-one ever knows, or pay nothing and the media splash the story everywhere... What do you think he'd choose bud? That should help you understand why I'm saying it's a nonsense to say our thoughts and opinions on the matter serve no purpose collectively. Not to mention that we are in a footy forum that exists for the sole purpose of allowing us to discuss and vent as we see fit.
They also serve to destroy people mentally.

Yes I totally agree that is completely out of order. Bigfoot though is a public forum for the expression of thought... a totally different story.
Sorry you copped it. I was venting a bit generally about what I see as a lack of tolerance on this board for those who post with passion, quirkiness etc. Too many people on here are way too busy telling others how they should go about expressing themselves rather than just being accepting. There's pages on here devoted to posters telling other posters they are too negative, too positive, too emotional, not logical enough, not empathetic enough, too this too that, they should be more this or that. It bugs me. The conformists on here will make this a very dull place if they get their way. (Not talking about you)
You make some really good points. What I going round in circles with (might as well have taken Bad Horses pen work offer) is you seeming to be saying its ok to bag Stephenson out on this forum but not ok to bag our fellow posters. For someone like me who loves the pies but has no clue about football or the club picking holes in fellow posters posts is about all I got.

You make some really good points. What I going round in circles with (might as well have taken Bad Horses pen work offer) is you seeming to be saying its ok to bag Stephenson out on this forum but not ok to bag our fellow posters. For someone like me who loves the pies but has no clue about football or the club picking holes in fellow posters posts is about all I got.
Lol. Well You’ve spotted the hypocritical flaw in my argument I see. I should take my own advice and be more accepting of those who want to do this. But there’s a difference between picking holes in the arguments , logic and substance of people’s posts and trying to dictate what should or shouldn’t be posted in the first place, and what is or isn’t an acceptable ‘style’ people should adopt.

Lol. Well You’ve spotted the hypocritical flaw in my argument I see. I should take my own advice and be more accepting of those who want to do this. But there’s a difference between picking holes in the arguments , logic and substance of people’s posts and trying to dictate what should or shouldn’t be posted in the first place, and what is or isn’t an acceptable ‘style’ people should adopt.
I can see the difference but its a grey line. Where does all that passion, the emotion turned into words go? No other place but each other really. Some of our most passionate posters are the worst abusers. I tried ignoring a few but realised I was missing out and found I like some of their posts.

I loved watching the pies from the hill at Vic Park with the eskies, the racism and every other ism around me. There was a part of me that cringed but a lot of me loved that raw, go pies world. This is our forum, pies supporters. Let however dictate how we post and batter them with your logic. We are all good. ;)

I can see the difference but its a grey line. Where does all that passion, the emotion turned into words go? No other place but each other really. Some of our most passionate posters are the worst abusers. I tried ignoring a few but realised I was missing out and found I like some of their posts.

I loved watching the pies from the hill at Vic Park with the eskies, the racism and every other ism around me. There was a part of me that cringed but a lot of me loved that raw, go pies world. This is our forum, pies supporters. Let however dictate how we post and batter them with your logic. We are all good. ;)
Overt passion is fun to see, fun to hear, fun to do... Basically.
I hated the racism at Vic Park. It had nothing to do with passion.
There was more theatre to footy back then. It really helped the atmosphere. The players were allowed to join in the pantomime. I was at Vic Park when that arch villain Dermot Brereton blew kisses and patted his butt to the members as he walked past. He did it right in front of me.. right.. in front of me. I nearly jumped the fence.!! Players would get a $5k fine if they did that today. Who is footy's arch villain now? Toby Greene? FFS! ...Lame...

When there is true freedom of ideas and freedom of expression there is also the freedom to disagree or disapprove of those ideas and expressions, and even the freedom to conform.

So, yeah, if somebody wants to be overly negative, or overly positive, or have a whack at Stephenson for having the temerity to wish his mum a happy birthday on social media whilst he’s serving an AFL imposed ban for gambling, then yeah, they might have the freedom to do that ...

... but people also have the freedom to take a whack at that behaviour.

Last edited:
dats my mate darren( his dad) cant half tell hes jaidyns dad hey...looked like his old man the day he popped out

As a species, natural selection has evolved us so that babies typically look like their fathers when born.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've still got the lead. No pressure. *taps hoof*

There's a reason people in power or fame positions pay out on black mail money to keep s**t quiet.

There's a reason people in power or fame positions pay out on black mail money to keep s**t quiet.
Yep. If you have something over them they will even put you in charge of a billion dollar hedge fund. When that all fails they can then arrange for the security cameras to be turned off in your cell. .
To keep on topic...At least Epstein didn’t completely f@ck up our season though.

Our response to misbehavior differs significantly depending whether the subjects are:

- Politicians
- Our children
- Other people’s children
- Peers
- Young people
- Old people
- Re-offenders
- Disabled

So what should it be for footy players? Nobody is suggesting that they shouldn’t be sanctioned for misbehavior - but is that the role of us fans to do?
I believe - as in all things - the higher profile individual, the higher standard of behavior is expected.

AFL footballers have a high profile in the community - especially here in Melbourne - their deeds bring respect - so fittingly their misdeeds bring the opposite.

Australians - as a society - are far too blase and forgiving with sports stars.

Heroic deeds do not necessarily denote a hero.

As for young Stevo in particular . .

He signed a contract and was given chapter and verse on gambling at the very start of his career and was warned of the consequences.

He thought he was smarter than the watchers and found out to his cost that he was wrong.

His time is almost served, now he must go out over that white line and earn some respect back.

But more importantly remember that all AFL footballers live in a glass bowl - there is nowhere to hide.

What the heck? Did I miss hear the press conference?

Bucks just said "We're fortunate that the AFL side plays on Friday night which means that Jaidyn can play in the VFL on Saturday. The way we understand it is that it's 10 AFL games, and if we'd been scheduled to play on Saturday or Sunday, this wouldn't be possible. We'll have to check this with the AFL and have it ticked off first. "

Surely there's NO WAY the AFL tick this one off. But genius by the club if they do.

This would be such a fantastic result. However I doubt it’s true. I mean theoretically unless it meant that Stephenson could have played VFL the entire time I’m unsure what leg they would stand on.

Then again the AFL is run by a bunch of incompetent unprofessionals who regularly make rules on the fly. So who knows

What the heck? Did I miss hear the press conference?

Bucks just said "We're fortunate that the AFL side plays on Friday night which means that Jaidyn can play in the VFL on Saturday. The way we understand it is that it's 10 AFL games, and if we'd been scheduled to play on Saturday or Sunday, this wouldn't be possible. We'll have to check this with the AFL and have it ticked off first. "

Surely there's NO WAY the AFL tick this one off. But genius by the club if they do.

The Afl make stuff up as they go along. There is no way they will let this happen and they will redefine the rules to make sure of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back