The Donny Pyke Farewell Tour

Comes down to picking the right coach. When you have Chapman, Fagan, Riccuito picking the coach you will have a change every 3 or 4 years. They are the problem.

Don't forget Burton.

They'll probably run their choice past Campo too.

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
That's got to be the most stupid comment I've read here (and that's include many posts from Sanders), do you only hangout with anti-Crows supporters? We are a long way from having a Carlton-ist era or even Primus-ist era, a very long way.
Like I've previously said, we've been as successful as West Coast on and off the field since both of us entered the AFL but they took their chance when they had the chance to win the premiership and we didn't.....and pity our state didn't get adventurist and built a new multi-purpose stadium to rival the MCG but instead revamp an old AO stadium at the cost of $550M.
We haven't been as successful as WC on field. They have 4 flag, we have two.

How do you measure success?

CrowBloke

Solum stulti se excusant!
May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
1) We were the better team all year in 2017, 2) we definitely should have won if both teams played at their best
1) Debatable.
Highest scoring team, 4th best defence. Same points as Geelong, half a win better than Richmond & GWS, 1.5 wins higher than PA and Sydney. Hardly THE standout side.
2) Crows were wracked/wrecked by disunity; the Lever affair/ McGovern's unhappiness & white-anting/ Cameron's intentions all polarised the group.
If you get the opportunity, have a look at Ch. 7's footage within the changerooms at half-time. Richmond's players were in groups, animated, talking, planning. The Crows were slumped on the floor against the walls looking very much an unhappy, disunited and beaten side.

The pre-GF attitude was "After all we've been through, we deserve to win this, we should win this. Plus, we beat this mob by nearly 13 goals in Round 6" which is a mental recipe for failure.
Teams that "deserve" to win Grand Finals deserve it by winning them, eg Bulldogs 2016/ Richmond 2017/ WCE last year.
The Crows had earned only the right to play the GF, as did Richmond. 'Deserving' had nothing to do with it.
This seems unrelated, but I urge you to watch the 2010 Stosur/Schiavone French Open Final, won by a passionate, 100%-every-point, hungry and desperate Schiavone. Richmond played like that, for 4 quarters.
The Crows gave up the ghost after half-time, which they have done a lot of since then.

As for Pyke, I was a big fan until around mid-2018 when I realised he
--- blamed the players for the 2017 GF loss, making no changes of Assistants and no discernible review of his own input
--- was inflexible/dull/unimaginative (he could do with some of Schiavone's passion)
--- has been unable to break the Boys' Club nepotism which has made the Crows impotent and slow on-field.

CrowBloke

Solum stulti se excusant!
May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
We need another Blight, Clarko, Walsh imo. A strong willed coach with some personality and street smarts. Someone who instinctively knows the game and can make match day moves without thinking about it. They are out there.
I'd like to think so, but who and where? Seriously.
Blight, Clarko, Matthews, Malthouse, Sheedy --- who's the next one for the Crows? No Coach of their calibre would come to the Crows given our present Admin. and Assistants.

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
1) Debatable.
Highest scoring team, 4th best defence. Same points as Geelong, half a win better than Richmond & GWS, 1.5 wins higher than PA and Sydney. Hardly THE standout side.
2) Crows were wracked/wrecked by disunity; the Lever affair/ McGovern's unhappiness & white-anting/ Cameron's intentions all polarised the group.
If you get the opportunity, have a look at Ch. 7's footage within the changerooms at half-time. Richmond's players were in groups, animated, talking, planning. The Crows were slumped on the floor against the walls looking very much an unhappy, disunited and beaten side.

The pre-GF attitude was "After all we've been through, we deserve to win this, we should win this. Plus, we beat this mob by nearly 13 goals in Round 6" which is a mental recipe for failure.
Teams that "deserve" to win Grand Finals deserve it by winning them, eg Bulldogs 2016/ Richmond 2017/ WCE last year.
The Crows had earned only the right to play the GF, as did Richmond. 'Deserving' had nothing to do with it.
This seems unrelated, but I urge you to watch the 2010 Stosur/Schiavone French Open Final, won by a passionate, 100%-every-point, hungry and desperate Schiavone. Richmond played like that, for 4 quarters.
The Crows gave up the ghost after half-time, which they have done a lot of since then.

--- blamed the players for the 2017 GF loss, making no changes of Assistants and no discernible review of his own input
--- was inflexible/dull/unimaginative (he could do with some of Schiavone's passion)
--- has been unable to break the Boys' Club nepotism which has made the Crows impotent and slow on-field.
Generally non-victorian premiership teams win away consistently. We have not been a good away team for some time, even in 2017. Until we can consistently break even against the top teams away from home (similar to what wce have done the last 18 months) we will not be any threat to win the flag regardless of where we sit on the ladder.

Mike Smyth

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 8, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'd like to think so, but who and where? Seriously.
Blight, Clarko, Matthews, Malthouse, Sheedy --- who's the next one for the Crows? No Coach of their calibre would come to the Crows given our present Admin. and Assistants.

We will get another rookie coach next. He will be there for 3-5 years and will not survive to the end of the rebuild (about 6-7 years). Whoever coaches the Crows next better make sure he negotiates a lucrative contract because it will be his last job as a senior coach.

Houston

Premiership Player
Feb 3, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Minnesota Timberwolves
He has to go, don't think I could stand to watch him sitting there with that blank look on his face in the coaches box for another season.

Dixie Normous

Premiership Player
May 13, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Get Blight into the club immediately in an advisory role. Has a lot of knowledge about list management and coaching. Club needs to start looking for a coach and a decent list manager. Biggest 3 problems currently are Chapman, Burton and Pyke. Closely followed by Campo, Hart, Reid, Riccuito, Fagan, Hass.

We haven't been as successful as WC on field. They have 4 flag, we have two.

How do you measure success?
West Coast also have flags in every decade.

We have 2 in 30 years and they’re within 365 days of each other.

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Get Blight into the club immediately in an advisory role. Has a lot of knowledge about list management and coaching. Club needs to start looking for a coach and a decent list manager. Biggest 3 problems currently are Chapman, Burton and Pyke. Closely followed by Campo, Hart, Reid, Riccuito, Fagan, Hass.
I don't see how Reid is a problem here. He's been pretty good imo compared with his predecessor.

Other than Gibbs, and maybe JJ delas, whats so bad

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
I don't see how Reid is a problem here. He's been pretty good imo compared with his predecessor.

Other than Gibbs, and maybe JJ delas, whats so bad
I dont know his input on list management. Whoever is looking after list management which i know Burton and Riccuito are heavily involved need to be terminated. The Gibbs trade was a disaster. Likely it was Chapman or Fagan who told him to get it done. I would get an experienced person such as Blight, Cunningham to review the club and fire as they see fit.

Apr 20, 2004
Regional VIC
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
Without question, Pyke's time has come (and Camporeale, Burton and co), along with a bunch of these plodders who aren't up to it. FFS an 11 goal loss at home to a half-baked opposition who've struggled against all comers in recent times. This is as bad as it gets. Thank f*ck I'm heading o/s on holiday next week, so don't have to put up with this sh*te any longer. The club can stick their stupid request to member son what merchandise we want (IF we renew). The only way I'll be paying a membership is if the coaching and playing group are torn apart - starting from now.

Scrogdogg

Club Legend
May 29, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Generally non-victorian premiership teams win away consistently. We have not been a good away team for some time, even in 2017. Until we can consistently break even against the top teams away from home (similar to what wce have done the last 18 months) we will not be any threat to win the flag regardless of where we sit on the ladder.

We have not been a good at home team for some time.

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
We consciously selected a side that was not our best.

This Club is fu**dd.
Yeah that will go down as one of the more discraceful things they have done as a club. Obviously came from above. Sums up the club very well. They exist to employ ordinary people.

Morning_Fog

Premiership Player
Jun 24, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide

CrowBloke

I’ve read this myth on this forum a few times now but have never seen or read any evidence of its truth.

Can someone, anyone share any legitimacy of this where Don Pyke blamed the players on the 2017 Grand Final loss or is it just another myth someone has made up to sink the boots into the coach?

Can someone please provide any evidence to these events on GF day 2017.

Back