Review Another wasted season

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty much our 9-0, 2016 core until injuries hit.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Injuries did hit but that team lacked resilience in design because it relied on so many specific parts being fit and functioning to be competitive. A good team should have more capability of being competitive with injuries. Not saying we couldn't have given it a good shake if 2-3 of those injuries hadn't occurred but it was a failure by Scott and the football department as much as luck IMO.

Was a perfect example of a wasted season.

In hindsight it seems it was doomed from the start with the Majak incident.

Im glad our young kids got their chances and mostly took them but we will finish bottom 6 and im fearful we wont put in a big fight in these last 2 games.

I really hope the club has the balls to clear house finally. Got rid of the coach and football manager - time to actually clear out a big chunk of the underperforming list - we all know who they are. We have a decent core of players and some good up and comers. The rest need to be refreshed

Injuries did hit but that team lacked resilience in design because it relied on so many specific parts being fit and functioning to be competitive. A good team should have more capability of being competitive with injuries. Not saying we couldn't have given it a good shake if 2-3 of those injuries hadn't occurred but it was a failure by Scott and the football department as much as luck IMO.

Even if we'd had Greenwood that year it would have made a difference.

Totally agree about the resilience.

Was on youtube just before and the North Freo Game from 2015 was recommended with all the goals.
That was probably the best team we have had for at least 10 years, Boomer, Cunners, NDS, Higgins, Swallow, Jacobs, Goldy in full flight in the midfield, Waite, Brown, Petrie up forward, Tarrant, Thommo, Firrito down back, You'd take that core over what we have today for sure. Shows you how far behind we currently are.
Pretty much our 9-0, 2016 core until injuries hit.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Sydney’s COLA and Hawthorns tanking/FA teams were clearly the 1-2 that era and we just couldn’t win enough games to finish top 4.

That team today would be top 4 easily and with a competent coach who knows?

If we could have played just one prelim in Melbourne then I believe we could have jagged one.

Im glad our young kids got their chances and mostly took them but we will finish bottom 6 and im fearful we wont put in a big fight in these last 2 games.

I really hope the club has the balls to clear house finally. Got rid of the coach and football manager - time to actually clear out a big chunk of the underperforming list - we all know who they are. We have a decent core of players and some good up and comers. The rest need to be refreshed

A few times on this board, it has been speculated that this had more of an impact on the group than might have been apparent. It was confirmed to me by a club insider that it really did have an effect early in the season.

Start by saying that I believe no season is wasted - they all have something in them to enjoy, and since 2007, having a club to support at all will always make it a good year.

But this season, we thrashed Collingwood, Richmond and Carlton and had good wins against Hawthorn, Western and Adelaide. The pleasure I got from every one of those games and the memories I take away from them made my membership, time and trouble well worth while.

A few times on this board, it has been speculated that this had more of an impact on the group than might have been apparent. It was confirmed to me by a club insider that it really did have an effect early in the season.

I thought it was obvious. I was in there the next day to fix something up and here was a pall over the place. I think it affected Scott too. Definitely affected his coaching and probably had more to do with the Freo result than we realise.

Even stuff like Jmac saying "winning isn't the most important thing" or whatever it was he said ... I imagine after that event all sorts of counsellors were telling the players "footy isn't everything, living well is more important" and other anti suicide/ptsd sorts of things. We probably missed out on a proper pre season because of it, at least this year/after December.

I have a little sympathy for Scott because of it. (Not much tho.)

Start by saying that I believe no season is wasted - they all have something in them to enjoy, and since 2007, having a club to support at all will always make it a good year.

But this season, we thrashed Collingwood, Richmond and Carlton and had good wins against Hawthorn, Western and Adelaide. The pleasure I got from every one of those games and the memories I take away from them made my membership, time and trouble well worth while.

Watching 4 of our young players get rising star noms was good. Not for the nominations themselves but just for the joy of watching our young players really step up.

One real positive of 2019: It was the first season in as long as I can remember that we have had such a flourish in young player potential.

4 Rising Star Nominations.

0 2018 Nominations. 0 2017 Nominations. 1 2016 Nomination (Ryan Clarke). 0 2015 Nominations. 1 2014 Nomination (Luke McDonald). 1 2013 Nomination (Aaron Mullett). 0 2012 Nominations. 0 2011 Nominations.

Feels like almost the exact opposite to me. While Durdin needs to keep progressing and McKay has had a rough year with injury and illness, I don’t think we’ve outright ballsed up any of our recent first rounders. I look at those drafts and don’t see any players around our picks that we passed on who would improve our best 22 much right now.

And we’ve had some good results at the back end of the ND and in the rookie draft - Larkey, Slammin' Cam, Preuss, Murphy, Mountford (should still be on the list).

It’s the middle picks - rounds 2 and 3 - that we’ve made a complete 💩 🥪 out of. Since Dumont and Brown we’ve seen the Queensland kids, Clarke, Hibberd, Nielsen all bomb out. EVW is the only 2nd rounder between Dumont and Walker still on the list.

I was more alluding to no A grade talent. We end up with solid players but no one that would be a top AFL player. TT is the only one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

20 years now and we have barely been a realistic shot at the title in all that time.

It's getting harder to maintain the passion.
20 years? We were half a game of footy away from playing the poos and wees in a gf who we had covered in 2015! Anyway, 20 years since we were a FORCE is accurate.. the competition is so tight, this is the first time i can remember that a team can make the finals with 11 wins.. it doesnt take much tinkering to quickly move up the ladder

Who?

Snake_Baker go back and read some of your posts in the Bye Bye Brad thread. Especially from Oct last year.

Here are some examples:

Your analysis basically comes wanting change, for it's own sake, and on the basis of nothing.

CBFed with any more of this.
He's the coach, so tough luck, and if we're comfortably entrenched in the top 8 by mid 2019, he'll be the coach for a while longer yet..

But the best:
My view was that Brads latest contract renewal could only be based upon the output of the side in the next 18 months (by mid 2019).
At this point, I don't know how any rational person could be critical of his work so far.

Let me shout this in a Tef manner: according to Tef, as of October last year NO RATIONAL PERSONAL COULD BE CRITICAL OF HIS WORK UNTIL MID 2019.

YET:
time and time again this non football person keeps banging on about how the board should have sacked him earlier and that this year was wasted. Yet at the end of the last year all he could do was argue against the sacking of Scott.

Snake is a certified snakeoil salesman. He actually worse then Scott himself.

In hindsight? Pretty sure everyone knew how important Maj was to our structure. I was expecting exactly what we got without the strong showing from our kids.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Really? It's interesting that you waited until now tell us all what you were expecting at the start of the season ...

A bit of luck in the Brisbane and Essendon games are we are storming into finals and on the cusp of a new era of success.

Instead we want to turf half the playing list, the entire recruiting team, and Shaw would want to deliver soon or he is on notice, too.

Things change quickly. Look at Brisbane this year, Collingwood last year, Richmond the year before, the Dogs the year before that.

Ziebell finds a role, EVW plays some footy without doing any more knees, Simpkin gains consistency...

Just a few things need to click and the entire dynamic changes.

A bit of luck in the Brisbane and Essendon games are we are storming into finals and on the cusp of a new era of success.

Instead we want to turf half the playing list, the entire recruiting team, and Shaw would want to deliver soon or he is on notice, too.

Things change quickly. Look at Brisbane this year, Collingwood last year, Richmond the year before, the Dogs the year before that.

Ziebell finds a role, EVW plays some footy without doing any more knees, Simpkin gains consistency...

Just a few things need to click and the entire dynamic changes.

While I don't disagree, we're a few trades/drafts away from being a well rounded and deep list. Our list depth compared to say Richmonds is pretty poor, Richmond have been plagued by injuries yet their list depth has kept them in the season.

Shaw also needs help around him which the club must provide, I think Alan Richardson coming in as a senior assistant first off would be a massive coup for North.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back