Toast Welcome to the Temple of Bontempelli, please take off your shoes and pay your respects

Remove this Banner Ad

Bont will still get 3 or 4 imo

I see him going big the next couple of weeks (usually plays well against both Adelaide and GWS) and wrapping it up.

I usually don't hope I'm wrong, but i hope you're right and I'm wrong. Cant see him getting more than 2 votes though. I reckon Merrett will get some too in a 100 point slaughter.

Would love to see Bont get the AFLCA, MVP, Brownlow, BnF and make the AA team. Realistic chance at 3/5.

Last edited:
Neale, Cripps, Kelly have had a few quiet ones lately, so you hope he finishes the last two games strongly. I reckon Bont's quiet early-middle part of the season will come back to bite him. Grundy and Fyfe have to be the favorites for the time being. Would love Bontempelli to win it, but feel it will be a case of close, but just short. We all know umpires have a history of awarding players zero votes despite dominating, and players votes when they weren't even in the top ten on game day. Expect a game or two where Bont dominates but gets overlooked, and makes the WTF segment in the next days paper.

Neale, Cripps, Kelly have had a few quiet ones lately, so you hope he finishes the last two games strongly. I reckon Bont's quiet early-middle part of the season will come back to bite him. Grundy and Fyfe have to be the favorites for the time being. Would love Bontempelli to win it, but feel it will be a case of close, but just short. We all know umpires have a history of awarding players zero votes despite dominating, and players votes when they weren't even in the top ten on game day. Expect a game or two where Bont dominates but gets overlooked, and makes the WTF segment in the next days paper.

Doubt Grundy will win. Agree on Fyfe, his my pick atm.

My guesses for bonts brownlow votes so far:

Round 1 v Sydney: 3
Round 3 v GC: 3
Round 4 v Pies: 2
Round 7 v Tigs: 2
Round 13 v Blues: 1
Round 14 v Pies: 1
Round 15 v Port: 3
Round 16 v Cats: 3

This puts him on 18 which would defs be in the top 5 with 7 rounds to go. If he continues his current form he could win it. How good would that be!

Looking back I’m taking that 1 vote away in the pies game.

Round 19 v Freo: 2 votes
Round 20 v Brisbane: 3 votes
Round 21 v Dons: 1 vote

Got him on 23 votes currently. Two big games to finish the season and he could win it! Come on bonti!!!

Brownlow would be nice, as it’s the romantic default best award, but I really want him to win the coaches award. That’s the one I respect the most. Voted on by the two guys at the game who have the most intimate knowledge of how a player has impacted the game. Did he execute what they asked of him? Did he do the little things only the coach knows was expected of him? Did he make life difficult for the other coach’s plans? It’s not just about how good he LOOKED. Classic point was Buckley’s evaluation of Grundys game against us. Bevo and the rest of us just saw domination but he clearly didn’t meet Bucks expectations and I respect that as a voting process.

The MVP for me is a popularity hero worshipping/respect contest voted on by players have seen the player who wins at maximum twice for the year. It’s not a game by game vote decision. It’s a perception award. Bont could win it but I don’t expect it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brownlow would be nice, as it’s the romantic default best award, but I really want him to win the coaches award. That’s the one I respect the most. Voted on by the two guys at the game who have the most intimate knowledge of how a player has impacted the game. Did he execute what they asked of him? Did he do the little things only the coach knows was expected of him? Did he make life difficult for the other coach’s plans? It’s not just about how good he LOOKED. Classic point was Buckley’s evaluation of Grundys game against us. Bevo and the rest of us just saw domination but he clearly didn’t meet Bucks expectations and I respect that as a voting process.

The MVP for me is a popularity hero worshipping/respect contest voted on by players have seen the player who wins at maximum twice for the year. It’s not a game by game vote decision. It’s a perception award. Bont could win it but I don’t expect it.

Isn’t Bont leading by about 5-10 votes?

Isn’t Bont leading by about 5-10 votes?

He’s leading Fyfe by 10, Kelly has dropped off completely but he’s ahead of him by 8.

Just needs to get more than ten total in the next 2 games and he’s outright winner.

Although Fyfe May destroy the bombers so significantly that they have to rewrite the rules and give him additional votes

He’s leading Fyfe by 10, Kelly has dropped off completely but he’s ahead of him by 8.

Just needs to get more than ten total in the next 2 games and he’s outright winner.

Although Fyfe May destroy the bombers so significantly that they have to rewrite the rules and give him additional votes
As good as bonts been, almost every time I've watched fyfe this year he's been best on by a ridiculous margin, and I think he deserves every award he can get for almost single-handedly making freo watchable. Even against us round 19 he fought a pretty decent lone hand in a team that was getting belted.

Looks like Fyfe or Kelly won't get any votes this week. Shuey would need to basically get 10 + 10 in the next 2 games to be 3 votes ahead of Bont (assuming Bont gets no votes).

Looks like Kelly is realistically the only 1 who can beat Bont, if Bont gets no votes in the next 2 games. He should almost have it wrapped up though..
Just needs 3 votes tomorrow or next week to be unbeatable.

Anybody know if the past few players who have won the coaches award have won the brownlow?

Anybody know if the past few players who have won the coaches award have won the brownlow?

Pretty 50/50

AFLCA
2018: Max Gawn
2017: Dustin Martin
2016: Patrick Dangerfield
2015: Dan Hannebery
2014: Robbie Gray
2013: Scott Pendlebury

Brownlow
2018: Tom Mitchell
2017: Dustin Martin
2016: Patrick Dangerfield
2015: Nat Fyfe
2014: Matt Priddis
2013: Gary Ablett Jnr

2 out of the last 6 have won both. IMO this Brownlow field is the most open I can remember - Any of Fyfe, Danger, Neale, Bont, Cripps or Kelly can win. Even a Grundy/Treloar if one doesn't poll well and the other polls exceptional due to that. I think Fyfe wins the Brownlow, I'd give Bont about a 15% chance, helps that Fyfe, Neale, Kelly and Cripps shouldn't poll this week.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he gets De Boer'd today so I can't see him polling votes if that's the case.

That being said, tag our mids at your peril. You tag Bont, and you still have to contend with Macrae and Dunks.

I have a Brownlow bet going with a former umpire...
If Bont polls more votes than Cripps I win
If Cripps polls more he wins
If they tie, it's all bets off

This same umpire informed me after the bet was made, that he as the one who cost Westy a Brownlow by awarding Woewoful 2 votes in the last game of the season..he was quite proud of it too!

This same umpire informed me after the bet was made, that he as the one who cost Westy a Brownlow by awarding Woewoful 2 votes in the last game of the season..he was quite proud of it too!

Seems you forgot the end of the story where you kicked him in the nuts?

Any chance you could post his home or email address on here for us all to congratulate him...?

Any votes for Bont against GWS?
27 possessions and 9 clearances. didn't think he was fantastic but might snag a couple of couches votes? thoughts?

Depends on coaches interpretation of most valuable. Did a lot of tough stuff that we may not rate. I didn’t think he would get votes last week and same this week. Who knows.

Earlier in the year De Boer tagged Dangerfield and Tim Kelly (not simultaneously) and kept them to a combined 13 possies.

Kept Dusty to 15 and Zach Merrett to 16. He's the best tagger in the comp.

He kept Bont fairly quiet and he still got 27 and 9 clearances!

BTW I missed the first half, they said Bont dropped one of the GWS players because of the rough treatment he was getting? No report for the great man, I hope?

Earlier in the year De Boer tagged Dangerfield and Tim Kelly (not simultaneously) and kept them to a combined 13 possies.

Kept Dusty to 15 and Zach Merrett to 16. He's the best tagger in the comp.

He kept Bont fairly quiet and he still got 27 and 9 clearances!

BTW I missed the first half, they said Bont dropped one of the GWS players because of the rough treatment he was getting? No report for the great man, I hope?
Dropped Haynes, not even a fine coming his way

Remove this Banner Ad

Back