Preview Changes v Norf

Remove this Banner Ad

Hinkley's credibility would be absolutely shredded if he brings Burton back without a run in the sanfl.

He must stick to his policy as with Ollie.

Hinkley's credibility would be absolutely shredded if he brings Burton back without a run in the sanfl.

Yeah you are probs right about that. Still want Bonner out of the side, maybe Garner gets a week in the A's?

If Boak, Wines, SPP and Rockliff is one too many inside mid's, then on form this year it's Wines to be dropped. Our esteemed leader would rather drop a player in better form or play an unbalanced side then drop a (Co-)Captain though. :mad:
You dont drop your captains, form or no form. That destroys a team. His leadership is needed in the team

Couldn’t care less about Ken’s credibility. If Burton has been training solid for almost two weeks, he needs to play. Easily best 22 and this is not a time to flirt with putting him in the SANFL. We have two games we need to 100% win to make finals and take it out of the hands of other results. Best 22 only, nothing else. Burton, Lycett and Motlop should be in and Bonner, Sutcliffe and Ladhams out.

Couldn’t care less about Ken’s credibility. If Burton has been training solid for almost two weeks, he needs to play. Easily best 22 and this is not a time to flirt with putting him in the SANFL. We have two games we need to 100% win to make finals and take it out of the hands of other results. Best 22 only, nothing else. Burton, Lycett and Motlop should be in and Bonner, Sutcliffe and Ladhams out.

Yep, sounds great. One rule for one player and the exact opposite for another. Brilliant for team morale. Well done - quality people management.

Ladhams should be in our best 22 with Lycett.

Ollie has had half the year out.
It's not a policy in Ollies case its common sense.

Ladhams should be in our best 22 with Lycett.
But is that the best balance? I think Ryder is the better forward and tap ruckman than Ladhams (even though I agree he hasn't shown it as much as we all hoped), whereas Ladhams hunts the ball more and does more around the ground. Some pros and cons, but overall I think Lycett and Ryder is the better combo at the moment.

But is that the best balance? I think Ryder is the better forward and tap ruckman than Ladhams (even though I agree he hasn't shown it as much as we all hoped), whereas Ladhams hunts the ball more and does more around the ground. Some pros and cons, but overall I think Lycett and Ryder is the better combo at the moment.
Ladhams > Ryder up forward. In a time where a lot of forward entries go to waste, Ladhams contested marking ability inside 50 and up the ground would help a lot. Even if he doesn't mark it, he can win the ball himself just to keep it in the area.

Also if Lycett got injured early in the game, Ryder would struggle to ruck for the rest of the game. We should be putting games into people that will actually be here next year.

Willem Drew racked up 38 disposals in the Magpies’ 63-point victory against the Eagles, while Steven Motlop starred in the forward line with five goals.

Ruckman Scott Lycett put in a strong performance in his first game out of the senior side, finishing with 30 disposals, 33 hit-outs, eight marks, seven clearances, seven inside 50s and six tackles.

Trent McKenzie (25 disposals), Joe Atley (24) and Sam Mayes (22) also continue to press their claims for a senior call-up.

Defender Ryan Burton appears likely to return to football this weekend - after suffering a hamstring strain against Brisbane in Round 17 - but it remains unclear whether it will be in the AFL or SANFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think our best 22 is current squad with following changes:

Bonner - Burton
Rockcliff - Butters (too many big mids)
Sutcliffe - Farrell/Motlop
Ladhams - Lycett

S Gray for one of Farrell/Woodcock/Motlop would also be debatable on current form

Obviously much has been said about the ruck combo. I think Ryder provides the most up forward of the 3

I agree with the argument if Ryder isn’t here next season why play him? But I also agree that I want to win everything this season despite the reality of where we are at

Really though, shouldn’t be making so many changes in one hit.

So 2 changes from Koca-Kola Kenny - Bonner for Burton and Sutcliffe for Butters

Last edited:

Ins are good. It’s more not being able to trust Ken to drop the right players and instead drop SPP and a tall. Thankfully Dixon and Marshall both did well, but I wouldn’t be at all surprised if coach ‘small, smaller! Smallest!!!!’ drops Ladhams and plays just Ryder as the sole ruck, ‘justifying’ it as needing more speed at Marvel. And shock, horror not bringing back the following week.

Yeah, I’m dwarvist around selections and can’t trust Ken.

In before we drop Dixon, Marshall or Ryder.

You can't.

Port need to have their finals ready 22 now, and they must retain some adaptability for the conditions that arise in September, when big blokes come to the fore.

I hope Bonner stays in

I like Bonner more than most on here, but Burton is unquestionably a better footballer at this stage of their respective careers, and we (hopefully) have a final in three weeks' time. Now is the time to play our best and most reliable side.

Burton (if available) for Bonner and Butters for Sam Gray would be a dream come true! Fair to say though if Sam Gray keeps his spot this week then we just have to concede to the fact that he is Kens secret love child and will keep his spot forever regardless of form

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back