List Mgmt. Current Contract Status (Updated list in OP)

Cough *Mick Warner* Cough

Agree that Lynch stands out like a honeymooners dick in terms of commentators that can provide insight about the Suns when commentating games compared to the other commentators.

Also good news for us if Ben King doesn't have a Melbourne girlfriend anymore and can lay down some more gold coast roots
His girlfriend moved to the US. I guess would have been a bit hard to do long distance for 4 years until she graduates. Who knows whether she'll come back. But it's good he is getting back out there.

Mar 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears
I’ll be the first to say I had stamped Wills papers halfway during the year as he looked uninterested and wasn’t willing to change his game to fit our team but he swung me in the last half of the year with his work ethic, effort and his improved running abilities. I’m very happy to be wrong on this occurrence

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I’ll be the first to say I had stamped Wills papers halfway during the year as he looked uninterested and wasn’t willing to change his game to fit our team but he swung me in the last half of the year with his work effort and his improved running abilities. I’m very happy to be wrong on this occurrence
I had very low expectations for him when I watched him run around in circles at the fall of the ball with no idea in his first couple of matches, but his last 6 months have shown his junior potential is being realised
Great to have him on board and a shout out to all the fine Broadbeach lasses keeping him focussed

David C

All Australian
Aug 16, 2017
Noosa
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Brisbane Lions
Congrats on the 4 re-signings particularly Brodie as I thought he was out of there. Dewie was probably right with his recent comments about letting Lyons go, it gave opportunities to the likes of Brodie. Though I don't really understand getting Miles and letting Lyons go. Hope Luka signs on soon which I think he will. Bit worried about Kingy, has he given any hints on what he is likely to do?

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Bit worried about Kingy, has he given any hints on what he is likely to do?
He said the plan was always to focus on games, play out the season and then deal with a contract extension. He seems very happy, enjoying himself in Suns videos (plenty of them recently).

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
If King and Luko haven't re-signed this time next year we have a problem
Not so much now
Exactly, it seems like a lot of supporters lost confidence similar to players :)

Considering our losing streak, it's pretty amazing how many players extended and expressed support for the cause. Definitely, the club is on the right path.

Ah Chee is the last one remaining for me. For some reason, Martin leaving would not bother me too much. It may have something to do with his body language after bye.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I’m glad i was wrong ROBO but I stand by it being a bad look
It was always a great sign Will was working on his spread from congestion.

Very happy with the re-signings but the three signatures of Ah Chee, Kind and Lukosius are worth more than these four by a long way, especially Kingy and Luko. Simply must sign these up long term.

Jun 7, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Subiaco Lions
I had very low expectations for him when I watched him run around in circles at the fall of the ball with no idea in his first couple of matches, but his last 6 months have shown his junior potential is being realised
Great to have him on board and a shout out to all the fine Broadbeach lasses keeping him focussed

This. I was exactly the same and a big critic.

He has completely proven me wrong and blown me away with his resilience. Just the type of guy we need at the club. Stark contrast to Jack Bitchshaw.

Fat Pizza

Premiership Player
Feb 1, 2001
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Fitzroy
I'm pleased that these 4 have recommitted, but they each have significant flaws to fix before I'd consider them bona fide AFL players. If we can add some more pace into our midfield mix for 2020, Brodie should have a better chance of succeeding. His flaws won't be as easy to exploit & he can be used in a way that accentuates his skills in the heavy traffic.

getgaff

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 30, 2010
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Miami Heat, Old Easts
Hey folks

Over the past 12 months I've become more and more interested in the list analysis side of the game, list balances etc. thanks largely to the lads from Lystics AFL in particular around the contract time when calls are made to re-sign, trade or de-list.

If you are at all interested or intrigued by list management I suggest you give these guys a listen. I listen via Apple Podcast app but I'm sure it could be found on other devices also.

As always I'm very appreciative and open to feedback, whether positive or critical and love to engage in conversation about it. Hope you enjoy

For the Suns I've still got a number of guys O.O.C. Here's my thoughts:

RE-SIGN: Hanley, Ah Chee, Young, Crossley, Horlin - Smith, Holman, Scheer, Dawson, Riordan, Fletcher,

Hanley will be 31 before a ball is bounced in anger in 2020 however I'd still give him at least a couple of years extension. Senior experience is important there right now.

GHS still has years on his side and although will never be a star player he is an honest role player who similar Hanley is important for setting of standards off field as much as anything else.

Holman fits the above as well. Has performed strongly enough to re-consider a longer term extension.

Scheer, Dawson, Riordan and Fletcher are all longer re-signings hopefully. Dawson has played some AFL in 2019 and seems to have adjusted well. Riordan and Fletcher were late comers via the mid-season and supplementary drafts respectively. Worth holding as rookie with possibility of senior upgrading with Dawson getting an elevation. Scheer more likely to stay a rookie.

Young getting to stage where he is more likely to be getting smaller, rolling contracts. Like Hanley, HS and Holman is required for experience and standards.

Crossley is a hard one to judge because of the off field cloud, from an on field decision you'd re-sign him with no hesitation I think. Definitely someone you'd want to lock away longer term if available to. No AFL this year but as a ruckman post Witts he is necessary.

Ah Chee is obviously still a key player at the Suns. However if a rival offer appears that will suit the Suns, similar to Jack Martin than you have to at least consider. Trading away when his value is still high.

FREE AGENT SIGNING: David Armitage (St. Kilda)

Armitage has recently announced his decision to leave St. Kilda as a free agent.

Given his age he might be looking for a club that is "in the premiership window" however I think it makes sense that the Suns at least offer him a deal for an on and off field role. From what i recall was drafted GC area initially, same as Dayne Beams was from Southport.

TRADE: Martin, Day,

Without any inside knowledge I think Martin is as good as gone. Omitted a few weeks ago, hasn't forced his way back in and has attracted outside interest previously. Not even an emergency for R 23.

I've still got Day as a restricted free agent. Be intrigued to see if there are any offers that come. Not sure if he is a walk up best 22 anymore like he was previously, largely because of his body letting him down rather than form. Could extract a good compensation pick from him still and looking at an example of the Crows (SA boy originally) he could be the bigger key forward they chase for post Walker and Jenkins.

DE-LIST: Leslie, Wigg, Nutting, Rischitelli, Nicholls, Heron.

Leslie is depth at best these days. Still has the size to play a key defensive role but with Thompson likely back in 2020, the acquisition of Collins and Hombsch in 2019, the drafting of Ben King and already listed Jesse Joyce his place as a tall defender is slipping through his hands. Might be better off replacing him with a player with a taller defender from the state leagues if deemed necessary.

Wigg has been incredibly unfortunate with injury but can't see him being what the Suns want him to be anymore.

Nutting and Heron were local academy boys if i remeber correctly so it's never nice to have to cut them loose but I can't see either being part of the solution.

Nicholls has stalemated big time behind Witts. De-list, see if any other club is interested and if their is none he is free to do his own thing. Retire if the passion isn't their or test himself at a stronger state level competition.

Rischitelli already announced his decision to retire this week. Was unlikely to be offered a new contract anyway so he leaves the game on his own terms.

SunnerSS

GCSUNSCAST HOST
Sep 3, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Hey folks

Over the past 12 months I've become more and more interested in the list analysis side of the game, list balances etc. thanks largely to the lads from Lystics AFL in particular around the contract time when calls are made to re-sign, trade or de-list.

If you are at all interested or intrigued by list management I suggest you give these guys a listen. I listen via Apple Podcast app but I'm sure it could be found on other devices also.

As always I'm very appreciative and open to feedback, whether positive or critical and love to engage in conversation about it. Hope you enjoy

RE-SIGN: Hanley, Ah Chee, Young, Crossley, Horlin - Smith, Holman, Scheer, Dawson, Riordan, Fletcher,

Hanley will be 31 before a ball is bounced in anger in 2020 however I'd still give him at least a couple of years extension. Senior experience is important there right now.

GHS still has years on his side and although will never be a star player he is an honest role player who similar Hanley is important for setting of standards off field as much as anything else.

Holman fits the above as well. Has performed strongly enough to re-consider a longer term extension.

Scheer, Dawson, Riordan and Fletcher are all longer re-signings hopefully. Dawson has played some AFL in 2019 and seems to have adjusted well. Riordan and Fletcher were late comers via the mid-season and supplementary drafts respectively. Worth holding as rookie with possibility of senior upgrading with Dawson getting an elevation. Scheer more likely to stay a rookie.

Young getting to stage where he is more likely to be getting smaller, rolling contracts. Like Hanley, HS and Holman is required for experience and standards.

Crossley is a hard one to judge because of the off field cloud, from an on field decision you'd re-sign him with no hesitation I think. Definitely someone you'd want to lock away longer term if available to. No AFL this year but as a ruckman post Witts he is necessary.

Ah Chee is obviously still a key player at the Suns. However if a rival offer appears that will suit the Suns, similar to Jack Martin than you have to at least consider. Trading away when his value is still high.

Armitage has recently announced his decision to leave St. Kilda as a free agent.

Given his age he might be looking for a club that is "in the premiership window" however I think it makes sense that the Suns at least offer him a deal for an on and off field role. From what i recall was drafted GC area initially, same as Dayne Beams was from Southport.

Without any inside knowledge I think Martin is as good as gone. Omitted a few weeks ago, hasn't forced his way back in and has attracted outside interest previously. Not even an emergency for R 23.

I've still got Day as a restricted free agent. Be intrigued to see if there are any offers that come. Not sure if he is a walk up best 22 anymore like he was previously, largely because of his body letting him down rather than form. Could extract a good compensation pick from him still and looking at an example of the Crows (SA boy originally) he could be the bigger key forward they chase for post Walker and Jenkins.

Leslie is depth at best these days. Still has the size to play a key defensive role but with Thompson likely back in 2020, the acquisition of Collins and Hombsch in 2019, the drafting of Ben King and already listed Jesse Joyce his place as a tall defender is slipping through his hands. Might be better off replacing him with a player with a taller defender from the state leagues if deemed necessary.

Wigg has been incredibly unfortunate with injury but can't see him being what the Suns want him to be anymore.

Nutting and Heron were local academy boys if i remeber correctly so it's never nice to have to cut them loose but I can't see either being part of the solution.

Nicholls has stalemated big time behind Witts. De-list, see if any other club is interested and if their is none he is free to do his own thing. Retire if the passion isn't their or test himself at a stronger state level competition.

Rischitelli already announced his decision to retire this week. Was unlikely to be offered a new contract anyway so he leaves the game on his own terms.
day resigned

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
Hey folks

Martin in injured apparently - hence not listed in either level last 2 weeks - still seems likely to go as you suggest.
Hanley has maybe 1 year left
Armitage is cooked - no thanks
Day re-signed as mentioned

I think we'd be ok with the rest.

Jan 27, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Suns haven’t made many list changes as of yet moved mostly only Rookies and Rischa.

With Martin and AhChee to leave.

Suns should look to delist Nicholls and GHS and put them on rookie list.
Continue to pay there contract worth’s

Same with Crossley, onto Rookie list. Unsure what happens with contracts when suspended by ASADA

Delist shoenfield. Pay his contract out

Delist Wigg

Opens up a further 6 spots on our senior list for 3 first Rd picks
And 4 or so mature bodies through trades or draft

Fat Pizza

Premiership Player
Feb 1, 2001
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Fitzroy
Suns haven’t made many list changes as of yet moved mostly only Rookies and Rischa.

Same with Crossley, onto Rookie list. Unsure what happens with contracts when suspended by ASADA

Delist Wigg

To delist a player with a view to adding them to the rookie list, we'd have to be prepared to have someone else pick them up. I can't see anyone else taking GHS or Crossley. Nicholls could be picked up, so don't delist him unless we're prepared to lose him. I thought Nicholls played well in the 2's this year. I still think he's a good backup, in case Witts gets hurt, but the club may have someone else in mind for that role. Schoenfeld's contract may save him, but I agree he doesn't look like he's ever going to make it at AFL level. I don't know about Wigg. I still haven't seen him play. There's still a bit to play out with seeing what we get in return for Martin & Ah Chee & whether we have any senior players wanting to join us. With what we know at this stage, I think your suggestions make a lot of sense.

OB11

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 4, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
76ers

Delist Wigg

All seems reasonable.

Schoenfeld is a tough one - delisting him a year early is a tough look but on exposed form should be off the senior list as offers limited upside. Would delist and re-rookie if goes undrafted just for the optics.

OB11

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 4, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
76ers
To delist a player with a view to adding them to the rookie list, we'd have to be prepared to have someone else pick them up. I can't see anyone else taking GHS or Crossley. Nicholls could be picked up, so don't delist him unless we're prepared to lose him. I thought Nicholls played well in the 2's this year. I still think he's a good backup, in case Witts gets hurt, but the club may have someone else in mind for that role. Schoenfeld's contract may save him, but I agree he doesn't look like he's ever going to make it at AFL level. I don't know about Wigg. I still haven't seen him play. There's still a bit to play out with seeing what we get in return for Martin & Ah Chee & whether we have any senior players wanting to join us. With what we know at this stage, I think your suggestions make a lot of sense.

Nicholls I'm prepared to lose but rookie if we need a back up.

Hopefully putting him out there and seeing every team pass him up before we rookie him will be the kick in the ass his career needs.

Back