Delisted Justin Crow set to depart Dons

Vander18

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
He has another head coaching position decision within him before he comes under fire and that is another 3 year assessment after that's been made, if it's a new coach. If he agreed to extend woosh then maybe a 1 year assessment would come about.

But for comparison sake of club CEO's - Xavier Campbell versus Ian Robson? who are you taking?
Get your logic but not sure I agree.

If we get someone new for 2020 I think the expectation would still be finals. If we missed again then I think everyone starts to get heat.

As for Campbell v. Robson....can I have another choice???

Eleven 38

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Canucks, Cowboys, Renegades
Time to set the bar a bit higher on performance manager, or better still just get the best person in the world whoever that is.

Nope - totally disagree.

They are responsible for all facets of the club, including on-field.

Xaviers job is to keep the cash flowing and membership growing. Yes he has control over who the coach is however He has zero control over game day activities and ins not involved in game day strategy etc.

To blame him for how the team is performing, considering the amount of injuries we have is absolutely inaccurate and shows a minimal understanding of how football clubs operate.

You are just looking for someone to blame rather than thinking out their actual responsibilities.

Vander18

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Xaviers job is to keep the cash flowing and membership growing. Yes he has control over who the coach is however He has zero control over game day activities and ins not involved in game day strategy etc.

To blame him for how the team is performing, considering the amount of injuries we have is absolutely inaccurate and shows a minimal understanding of how football clubs operate.

You are just looking for someone to blame rather than thinking out their actual responsibilities.
Dude - go back through the thread, I’m not doing any of what you say.

Just observing that eventually Campbell’s role, like Woosher, like Dodo, like Crow, will get scrutiny. As it should.

I’ll ask the question again - does the footy department report through to him?

Fin ice Smuggler

Cancelled
Nov 13, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Dude - go back through the thread, I’m not doing any of what you say.

Just observing that eventually Campbell’s role, like Woosher, like Dodo, like Crow, will get scrutiny. As it should.

I’ll ask the question again - does the footy department report through to him?

I think this convo should be taken to different thread should anyone wish to continue with it. I have/will stopped as it has shifted away from performance coach related stuff.

I think this convo should be taken to different thread should anyone wish to continue with it. I have/will stopped as it has shifted away from performance coach related stuff.
Good point.

Vander18 try here..

Vander18

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Good point.

Vander18 try here..

Ta - I’m done. Whole thing was misconstrued and went where it wasn’t intended.

Seb78

Premiership Player
Aug 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Time to set the bar a bit higher on performance manager, or better still just get the best person in the world whoever that is.
Lets get Jeff Cavaliere from Athlean X. Was or perhaps still is the physical therapist for the New York Yankees.

Last edited:
Richmond’s performance guy would have looked a genius last two seasons, now this year had a string of muscle injuries. Cotchin has done hammy least couple of times so you’d question that. Sometimes just unlucky.

Lets get Jeff Cavaliere from Athean X. Was or perhaps still is the physical therapist for the New York Yankees.

Ha you could never pay him enough.

The issue is -and why this area is so fascinating- our game is the most physically demanding in the world. We need power, we need speed we need endurance and strength and those need to last across a 29 week period.

Outsiders coming In from other parts of the world may be good at certain aspects but does anyone anywhere have specific knowledge of how AFL teams should be prepared?

Do you take the risk that someone comes in and is too radical (not dank levels) but go too far into power athletes, too many runners?

And if you stay in industry do we become industry leading or perform relative to the pack?

Like I've said before it's a fascinating area of AFL that never gets spoken about, I'd love if our club did inside the four walls type stuff to the level the NFL teams do. A hard knocks style thing would be incredible

Fin ice Smuggler

Cancelled
Nov 13, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Richmond’s performance guy would have looked a genius last two seasons, now this year had a string of muscle injuries. Cotchin has done hammy least couple of times so you’d question that. Sometimes just unlucky.

really? hmm just logged onto AFL site

Cotchin Hamstring = 1 week (yes he has had recurring soft tissue hammy x 3)
Jack Higgins (brain Bleed) nope not muscle related
Dustin Martin (general soreness), could be muscle but he was just rested because Tigers can afford to
Rance (knee) not soft tissue
Mav weller (who cares.. i mean Groin) but who cares.

I'll take that list at this time of year any day of the week.

really? hmm just logged onto AFL site

Cotchin Hamstring = 1 week (yes he has had recurring soft tissue hammy x 3)
Jack Higgins (brain Bleed) nope not muscle related
Dustin Martin (general soreness), could be muscle but he was just rested because Tigers can afford to
Rance (knee) not soft tissue
Mav weller (who cares.. i mean Groin) but who cares.

I'll take that list at this time of year any day of the week.

Lot more players out during the year, Astbury, Nank, Houli, Lambert, Edwards, Caddy, Grimes, Prestia. Yeah have all come back but had a shed load.

Vander18

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Ha you could never pay him enough.

The issue is -and why this area is so fascinating- our game is the most physically demanding in the world. We need power, we need speed we need endurance and strength and those need to last across a 29 week period.

Outsiders coming In from other parts of the world may be good at certain aspects but does anyone anywhere have specific knowledge of how AFL teams should be prepared?

Do you take the risk that someone comes in and is too radical (not dank levels) but go too far into power athletes, too many runners?

And if you stay in industry do we become industry leading or perform relative to the pack?

Like I've said before it's a fascinating area of AFL that never gets spoken about, I'd love if our club did inside the four walls type stuff to the level the NFL teams do. A hard knocks style thing would be incredible
All very true - it is a really interesting aspect of the game.

I also think drafting drifts into this conversation. Agree it’s the most demanding sport in the world, can the industry do better in identifying (as opposed to developing) players with the physical traits to endure these demands.

Oraaaaazio

Club Legend
Jun 23, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Pretty crook thread this one.

None of us know the degree to which our injuries can be attributed to Crow (probably minimal) and plenty in here seem to be cheering his exit, a bloke has lost his job, is that worth celebrating? I'm sure he did his best, he didn't come in to work every day to try to do anything other than keep blokes on the field and he seems to love the club & as mentioned earlier by other posters, a lot of injuries come down to luck. Other clubs have longer injury lists than us, ours just seem to be to higher quality players. I think it's a streak of bad variance.

I hope I'm wrong and our next fitness guru manages to keep all of our list injury free but I wish Justin all the best & thanks him for his efforts.

Fin ice Smuggler

Cancelled
Nov 13, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Pretty crook thread this one.

None of us know the degree to which our injuries can be attributed to Crow (probably minimal) and plenty in here seem to be cheering his exit, a bloke has lost his job, is that worth celebrating? I'm sure he did his best, he didn't come in to work every day to try to do anything other than keep blokes on the field and he seems to love the club & as mentioned earlier by other posters, a lot of injuries come down to luck. Other clubs have longer injury lists than us, ours just seem to be to higher quality players. I think it's a streak of bad variance.

I hope I'm wrong and our next fitness guru manages to keep all of our list injury free but I wish Justin all the best & thanks him for his efforts.

top 4 sides generally more than not don't have large injury lists by finals time. I think there's a bit more than luck involved. Hawks as an example were able to get multiple years out of burgoyne through good management when reports were he was finished ditto Tom Scully this year it seems.

Unfortunately we are a results driven league and its not like Crow has been in the job 5 minutes. He has had 9 years to produce results, this year wasn't just about injuries? We were well off the pace fitness wise by the time we played Carlton at JLG, this IMO has placed extra stress on the players bodies by the time the season started which has resulted in soft tissue injuries as the players have attempted to catch up to the norm. This after a similar year last year is unforgivable.

Vander18

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
top 4 sides generally more than not don't have large injury lists by finals time. I think there's a bit more than luck involved. Hawks as an example were able to get multiple years out of burgoyne through good management when reports were he was finished ditto Tom Scully this year it seems.

Unfortunately we are a results driven league and its not like Crow has been in the job 5 minutes. He has had 9 years to produce results, this year wasn't just about injuries? We were well off the pace fitness wise by the time we played Carlton at JLG, this IMO has placed extra stress on the players bodies by the time the season started which has resulted in soft tissue injuries as the players have attempted to catch up to the norm. This after a similar year last year is unforgivable.
Impossible to really know from where we sit but what you say passes the sniff test.

Certainly seemed the right time for a change.

He has had 9 years to produce results
I think it was a touch under 6 years in the current role, he took over from Robinson when he was stood down in 2013 iirc. But your point still stands.

I was never particularly impressed by Crow, but I didn't know his background - you trust the Club to do its due diligence.

For some reason, I hopped onto Mr Crow's LinkedIn, and was a bit surprised by two things (1) breadth of practical experience and (2) recent studies he's undertaken.

Perhaps he's a prodigious talent, but only a couple of years in practice plus Collingwood seemed a bit light-on. I do not understand, however, why the Club's performance manager would be attending Melbourne Business School in the Executive Program. This program is not just your standard MBA...it is designed specifically for those who are - or who want to be - corporate execs. Of course, probably approved by the Club (hopefully not paid for), but it certainly invites discussion about whether he was experienced enough and whether he has had his head in the game in recent times.

Oraaaaazio

Club Legend
Jun 23, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon

Fair enough take, I still think a majority of it is luck but understand your opinion & think it's entirely possible. At least you used some thought & reasoning, others in here just cheering without any thought about it were my problem. If I'm wrong about the role luck plays in a club's number of injuries, the high performance manager role would have to be close to the most important role in football & absolutely we needed to move Crow on but I feel you just can't be sure, though I guess we can't just sit on our hands & hope our luck with injury turns.

On the point about top 4 sides generally not having a large injury list by finals time, isn't that why they're top 4? You keep your best players on the field, you finish up the top. I think our league is very driven by variance, with a good run of injuries I feel the top ~10 lists in the league could challenge for the top couple of spots, similarly with a bad run any of the top few sides could drop out of the 8. I heard Nick Riewoldt say on radio the other day that your most important player come this time of year is "fitness" and he's spot on. I'd be interested to see someone quantify the value of injuries & their effect on a team's ladder position come end of the season - perhaps using the AFL's player rating system to assign a value to each injured player & see the correlation between quality of injured players & team's results. Imagine it'd be pretty straight forward, good players injured = bad team results but interested in the degree it effects teams nonetheless.

Need some sort of spreadsheet or graph that shows the correlation between games missed by top 10-15 players (guess it could be based on previous year's B&F) and ladder position. Lore? :p
Don't need me for that there was an article on the AFL website the other day that had it. Probably a page or two ago in this thread, or maybe the health of the list thread.

Back