Coach John Longmire - Part IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Listening to David Teague this morning I would be rapt as a Blue . Would love us to be in the same position.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yep, and why do I feel we panicked. I'm on the fence with Longmire albeit I'm not a fan of the length. Not sure how he gets a 3-4 year deal off this season.

Yep, and why do I feel we panicked. I'm on the fence with Longmire albeit I'm not a fan of the length. Not sure how he gets a 3-4 year deal off this season.

Time for a change again?

I think Horse is a good bloke and good coach.

I would say he has only one flaw. Some misjudgments on some individual player's ability. Over-rates some of his players. This makes him human but it does have an adverse impact on overall list management. Reid, Parker and Tippett the obvious examples.

He also probably under-rated Membrey, Nankervis and Mitchell.

That's fair I reckon.

Hi Sydney Forum how are you? I'm fine.

For the next 5 minutes, put yourself in the shoes of Jorse Longmire. North Melbourne premiership champion, Sydney Swans premiership and longest serving ever coach, and also rumoured oats for breakfast eater.

You've had an outstanding run in the stalls. 9 finals series in a row, and staring down the barrel of your first time in charge with an August Mad Monday.

You're a man who knows the swings and roundabouts of the AFL draft cycle, so you know you've had a good run.

When, all of a sudden, your Alma Mater sacks a Scott and suddenly the Swans, in a nervous lather, throw the cheque book at you to stick around 4 more years.

FOUR MORE YEARS.

Suddenly, you've gone from being the custodian of managing the graceful deterioration of your list, salvaged from slowly sinking with your aging warriors into the abyss of footy trivia...

To, all of a sudden, seeing the glimpse of The Window appear again towards the back end of your new 4 year extension.

What do you do?

The Window is opening again!

What do you do, knowing that kids you draft this year will be really hitting their straps by 2023?

Well, I propose that you do your best to get the best possible kids you can this year. This is the year to grab em, because the 2021 kids won't get enough time to grow, and neither really will the 2020 kids.

But the 2019 kids will.

So.

What do you do?

You aim the bow for the bottom of the ladder and hope you get a tailwind.

Jorse's Record Since His Contract Extension

Round 17:
7 point loss to Carlton
Round 18: 1 point loss to Fremantle.

Good luck Jorse.
May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.

Round 17:
7 point loss to Carlton.
Round 19: 27 point loss to Geelong.
Round 20: 2 point loss to GWS
Round 21: 47 point loss to Port.
Round 22: 53 point win over Melbourne.

The golden chalice of Pick #2 is now lost.

Not even Michael Nunan's 1996 Fitzroy Lions would have lost to the Dees last night. And thats the '96 Lions playing at their current age in 2019.

Round 17:
7 point loss to Carlton.
Round 19: 27 point loss to Geelong.
Round 20: 2 point loss to GWS
Round 21: 47 point loss to Port.
Round 22: 53 point win over Melbourne.

The golden chalice of Pick #2 is now lost.

Not even Michael Nunan's 1996 Fitzroy Lions would have lost to the Dees last night. And thats the '96 Lions playing at their current age in 2019.

"Suck it up like a dustbuster" Dimmies!

All three of those players have improved their training & off field work ethic considerably from all reports.
Perhaps it's lazy buggers that coaches tend to under rate & hard workers that they over rate. It has it's pros & cons but players tend to get it when they are about 22-25 YO which is about the time they are ready to leave our club & apply themselves.
Just my thoughts.
What about Newman?
Why did we get rid of him?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What about Newman?
Why did we get rid of him?
I wasn’t fussed when we lost him. His confidence seemed shot, the kicking which had started off so well was bloody awful. He wasn’t playing that great I feel.

With a young progressive coach!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Young coach, inexperienced, unproven and statistically likely to be sacked before he ever gets to a GF vs an older, experienced, proven, finals hardened coach who has been patiently rebuilding a generational Swans team from the ashes of the 2012-2016 juggernaut ? I know which one I'd take.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back