Free Agency Stephen Coniglio

Where do you think he will play in 2020 and beyond?

• GWS

Votes: 61 12.1%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 179 35.4%
  • Carlton

Votes: 185 36.6%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • West Coast

Votes: 27 5.3%
  • Other

Votes: 40 7.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

West World

Team Captain
May 18, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Can Gil smell what the blues are cooking?

Astonishing comments from the boss & he clearly doesn't want Carlton becoming a force again.

Carlton becoming successful on field would be a great thing for the AFL and the game. Its great now that the Pies came good and retake their mantle as runners up.

The comp would be better off with the Blues playing and winning finals, get the big rivalries back.

TPC05

GGpoker
Feb 28, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Carlton becoming successful on field would be a great thing for the AFL and the game. Its great now that the Pies came good and retake their mantle as runners up.

The comp would be better off with the Blues playing and winning finals, get the big rivalries back.

Non biased Carlton opinion but let’s be real who does Gill think is gunna get more members us or GWS?

He wants Carlton to be back there with Coll, Rich, Geel etc.. (Victorian wise)

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Eagles win flag. Gaff moves home.

Coniglio goes to the Eagles, wins three peat under an established coach and gets to eat pasta with family every week. On good money (Gaff's contract).

Now that's a nice little nighmare for Vic team supporters.:thumbsu::D:cool:

Think you will find most Carlton fans would be much happier if Cogs signed with WCE rather than Hawthorn

The Eagles seem to have put most of their eggs in the Tim Kelly basket

Pinnell

Club Legend
Aug 15, 2009
Richmond
AFL Club
Carlton
So the state of play is that Blues believe they will land him (this information coming from multiple ITK posters making limited statements), but so to do Hawks (coming from a poster with no history of ITK giving very detailed information, but also supported by others who say the deal was done some time ago).

Very much feels like his manager is giving off vibes to each club that Coniglio is heading their way, just as a Real estate agent does when selling a home to two prospective buyers - to get each emotionally invested in the "purchase", and hence push up his worth as high as possible, even if he has already made up his mind on where he is wanting to go. And I bet the first interview with manager and player after signing on talks up how hard the decision was to make, and that "I really only decided as late as last week".

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Timberwolves
Gil wanting Coniglio to stay has nothing to do with Carlton or Hawthorn, but a pretty simple statement outlining his preference to remain at GWS, and for GWS to not lose another prime-age gun and leader at the club.

More I think about it, the more I am conflicted with the statement Gil made.

Scenario 1 (Which we have now)
- Gil CEO says he wants Cogs to stay at GWS
- The lemmings we are interpret it as the AFL wants Cogs to stay at GWS and probably think there will be some brown paper bags (yes ironic) going around.

Scenario 2
- Gil isn't the CEO
- We as lemmings just take it as tongue and cheek comment.

But since we are presented with the first scenario we just assume there are different motives as he is the CEO. Should just have remain neutral on the matter as there is a conflict of interest.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Gil is a ponce but I don't really care about his comments. GWS are still a new club and Coniglio is a foundation player. It is good from an overall AFL perspective (i.e. Gil's job) that players want to stay at the Giants (and Suns). If Coniglio leaves it's not the end of the world but they would obviously prefer to keep him.

I'd be annoyed if he was saying things like 'No I don't want him to join WC they just won the flag and Hawthorn won 3 a few years ago so not there either, he should go to Carlton or St Kilda who have been poo'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back