Recommitted Ben King [extends contract to 2022]

Remove this Banner Ad

That's the thing, many players have had great first seasons, and then gone on to be very average players. It's to small a sample. Yes someone will have to cough up a first round pick and extras, but I seriously doubt it will be two firsts. No one will pay up that much/he isn't worth that much yet.
Is he worth 2 first rounders? No. But will GC demand it, yes. That’s what clubs will have to contemplate. The funny thing is, he’s not the most needed player at the Saints. And he will nominate us within 2yrs (inside info on that one). It’s kind of a double edged sword. Yes we’ll love him, but we need midfielders. And he will cost a lot.

That's the thing, many players have had great first seasons, and then gone on to be very average players. It's to small a sample. Yes someone will have to cough up a first round pick and extras, but I seriously doubt it will be two firsts. No one will pay up that much/he isn't worth that much yet.
No doubt it’s overs, I’d expect something back not just a straight 2 firsts. We traditionally don’t attract great established players and there aren’t many key players of this ilk available. We have an opportunity to do something now due to a unique set of circumstances of salary cap and our NGA picks next year. This coupled with the hypothetical King wants to leave now could mean that is the best move for us. King is also pretty advanced in his development and the likes of Naughton have shown young keys can compete early, although not the norm.
I’m all for going for established players but they’re also a long shot especially for clubs like the Bulldogs. Darcy Moore? Unlikely. Keath, great option at the price but Hawks and others also well into him.
I’d rather overpay for King than do nothing at all with this opportunity. Anyway I don’t want to turn this into a Doggies thread.

I've only noticed King in the last few weeks playing forward. His stats have been very good for a team that doesn't score many points. But can any Gold Coast fans tell me if he has played much defence if at all this year? If so how has he gone in one on one duels? And as a reader of the play/intercept marking?

I've only noticed King in the last few weeks playing forward. His stats have been very good for a team that doesn't score many points. But can any Gold Coast fans tell me if he has played much defence if at all this year? If so how has he gone in one on one duels? And as a reader of the play/intercept marking?
Think he prefers forward now which may be a concern for us. He looked so good in defence in his draft year though.

He doesn't have to go to Saints to be back with his brother & family. Lucky for him, there will be 9 or so Vic clubs who would happily have him.

No way GC keep him. Sad, but it's a reality. They should have opted for the best available mid at that pick instead of taking 1/2 of a twin, while the other stays in Melbourne.

I think he’s going to be 2 x firsts whether it’s this year or next. If he does decide to leave. I can’t see his currency getting worse, flipside I can’t see you guys saying no to 2 x firsts if he asks to leave this year.

I can see the Suns definitely saying no to 2 x 1st this year for King.

Even more so if we get priority pick 2.

The club wants stability and time with its young top 10 kids.

We can’t draft the 2 best interstate lads in Rowell & Anderson this year, and then just let another massive talent in King leave after 12-months?

Just can’t see it happening. Why would the club set that precedent?

If King wants back to Melbourne for 2021, at least the Suns have done all they can in the time provided by draft contracts, and as you say, will still likely get a very good trade offer.

It would take something ridiculous to entice a trade this year. Something so tempting even Gil would be happy to give his approval.

I can see the Suns definitely saying no to 2 x 1st this year for King.

Even more so if we get priority pick 2.

The club wants stability and time with its young top 10 kids.

We can’t draft the 2 best interstate lads in Rowell & Anderson this year, and then just let another massive talent in King leave after 12-months?

Just can’t see it happening. Why would the club set that precedent?

If King wants back to Melbourne for 2021, at least the Suns have done all they can in the time provided by draft contracts, and as you say, will still likely get a very good trade offer.

It would take something ridiculous to entice a trade this year. Something so tempting even Gil would be happy to give his approval.
Yep, will be a tough scenario all round if he does ask this year. Better for everyone if he sticks around for 1 more, even if he doesn’t sign on.

Sun's need players not more picks. If its this year or next I could see saints sending their 1st and Carlisle up for king. Best for all parties, and we all know Jake loves the moolah.

I'd be absolutely gobsmacked if Ben asked for a trade this year. There would have to be strong extenuating circumstances to justify it. Missing your twin, playing in a struggling team don't count.

As an outsider looking in, it seems like the suns have gone above and beyond to make Ben feel comfortable. They dont deserve to have him walking out after his first year.

Stick it out Ben, honour your contract. Things could change in 12 months. If by then you still want to move, go right ahead. The Saints and Max will always be there.

He doesn't have to go to Saints to be back with his brother & family. Lucky for him, there will be 9 or so Vic clubs who would happily have him.

No way GC keep him. Sad, but it's a reality. They should have opted for the best available mid at that pick instead of taking 1/2 of a twin, while the other stays in Melbourne.
Which was Smith and we all know his story.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally, I find this thread really entertaining. So many posts based on personal wishes or preconceived views from St Kilda/Melbourne fans.

Is it possible that Ben leaves this off-season? Yes, of course, anything is possible but I have seen so far nothing indicating it.

Here are some points to consider.

In the history of Suns only one draftee did not extend. It was Caddy and in that time Suns were basket case. Beside Caddy only Scrimshaw left after 2 years even though he extended. In Scrimshaw case Suns were happy for him to go home.

Contrary to past Suns have now one of the best environments, including welfare, development due to complete overhaul in the past 18 months. I can't imagine better environment, life style for young draftees to start their career. OK, winning would help too.

It is reasonable to expect that Suns did homework on King. Ben could indicate in one of many chats with Suns that he can't imagine to live without his brother, family, and so on. He was drafted as a kid who is now developing into a young independent man, building life-long lasting friendships, learning to live on his own. To say he will come back because of his family is in Melbourne and support St Kilda or that he wants to play with his brother is so simplified view. Right now Ben is creating and following his own path and he seems very happy doing so.

Ben is part of plenty of videos recently on Suns site. The only thing I can is very happy young man, enjoying his teammates, the club, Gold Coast.

There is a young core at Suns - all very close, all committed to the cause. So far, all extended except Ah Chee (and Martin who is a similar case to Lynch, May). One trait that immediately draws attention when watching Ben is his care about his club, teammates. I can't see Ben to bail out on them. Quite the opposite.

Suns were decimated by injuries this year again. One can expect next year with extra preseason and even with average injuries run more wins will come and will that confidence and believe doing wonders for young players and retention issues.

Personally, I would be very surprised if Ben does not extend in the off season. Yes, if Suns are still at the bottom in 4 years, I could see more players to leave including Ben but right now it's just a wish from some supporters.

Last edited:
Personally, I find this thread really entertaining. So many posts based on personal wishes or preconceived views from St Kilda/Melbourne fans.

Is it possible that Ben leaves this off-season? Yes, of course, anything is possible but I have seen so far nothing indicating it.

Here are some points to consider.

In the history of Suns only one draftee did not extend. It was Caddy and in that time Suns were basket case. Beside Caddy only Scrimshaw left after 2 years even though he extended. In Scrimshaw case Suns were happy for him to go home.

Contrary to past Suns have now one of the best environments, including welfare, development due to complete overhaul in the past 18 months. I can't imagine better environment, life style for young draftees to start their career. OK, winning would help too.

It is reasonable to expect that Suns did homework on King. Ben could indicate in one of many chats with Suns that he can't imagine to live without his brother, family, and so on. He was drafted as a kid who is now developing into a young independent man, building life-long lasting friendships, learning to live on his own. To say he will come back because of his family is in Melbourne and support St Kilda or that he wants to play with his brother is so simplified view. Right now Ben is creating and following his own path and he seems very happy doing so.

Ben is part of plenty of videos recently on Suns site. The only thing I can is very happy young man, enjoying his teammates, the club, Gold Coast.

There is a young core at Suns - all very close, all committed to the cause. So far, all extended except Ah Chee (and Martin who is a similar case to Lynch, May). One trait that immediately draws attention when watching Ben is his care about his club, teammates. I can't see Ben to bail out on them. Quite the opposite.

Suns were decimated by injuries this year again. One can expect next year with extra preseason and even with average injuries run more wins will come and will that confidence and believe doing wonders for young players and retention issues.

Personally, I would be very surprised if Ben does not extend in the off season. Yes, if Suns are still at the bottom in 4 years, I could see more players to leave including Ben but right now it's just a wish from some supporters.
Just for context most of this chat has been triggered by a report earlier in the week saying he wants to leave now.

Ha ha yes. Not saying anything in it but worthy of discussion.
I did not watch it. I have no respect for her. She also claimed the last year that David Swallow wants out and go back to WA. Did she say that because Suns are so bad and constantly losing that Ben will ask to be traded or something like that?

Whether he is happy or not Gold Coast hold all the cards this year... it would take an extraordinary deal to let him go.. imo... the hard part for GC if BK does request a trade and gets denied ..it will make the next 12 months very onerous in trying to convince him that he is at the right club. Id love him at Geelong but bar that id hope he stays and give them a few years.. plenty of time for him to come back and by the time he is 22 ..GC could well be a much better side.

To me, out of all the the recent footy twins these 2 are the hardest to tell apart. plot twist, maybe Ben is Max and Max is Ben. 🤔
they should just keep swapping places so no one gets homesick. max has a scar on his leg. just do a hugh jackman from that magic movie. scar the other bros leg. 😆
unless they measure them every day(one is 9inch. one is 9.2inch), no one will ever know.

Bulldogs fans are also watching that space. Just the type of player that not only we need, but that Beveridge would love because of his mobility and positional versatility

Beveridge licking his lips at the opportunity to waste another decent young KPP as an overmatched, mediocre ruckman.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back