Beards

Dec 1, 2014
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
Grew one while backpacking and not bothering to shave while in my late 20s and not looked back. Previous attempts would see me shave once it began itching, but I found after a few days that passed. Clean shaven people would regularly add a decade to my age, now they often take a decade off (although my only grey hairs are in my beard, but they’re isolated rather than patches).

I’m not sure it’s any less of a hassle though - keeping it neat, dealing with skin flakes/beard dandruff etc are all annoying in their own way. But still, I think it suits me.

Feb 24, 2013
The GoldenBrown Heart of Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man Utd Green Bay Melb Storm
Grew one while backpacking and not bothering to shave while in my late 20s and not looked back. Previous attempts would see me shave once it began itching, but I found after a few days that passed. Clean shaven people would regularly add a decade to my age, now they often take a decade off (although my only grey hairs are in my beard, but they’re isolated rather than patches).

I’m not sure it’s any less of a hassle though - keeping it neat, dealing with skin flakes/beard dandruff etc are all annoying in their own way. But still, I think it suits me.

And lets face it (yer, bad pun that)….They help keep your face warm in winter & you don't have to be bothered shaving every fricken day either. Which is a real hassle.

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
Then:

Tatts: Bikie, ex-con
Beard: Bikie, lumberjack, wizard, Hasidic Jew

Now:

Tatts: Barista in someone else's coffee shop, works in someone else's craft brewery
Beard: Barista in someone else's coffee shop, works in someone else's craft brewery

In the 1990s if you saw a player that looked like Danny Southern you would think he is hard as nails, played seniors at 15, has at least one parent in jail and a dog that looks like it feeds on human flesh.

Now if you saw a player that looked like that you would wonder which private school they went to and whether they've got a French Bulldog or just a Pug.
I feel sorry for anybody that got a tattoo right before the 'craze' really took off (in around maybe 2000?), even if they actually got a decent one that has aged well as a design they still now just look like every other dickhead/copy cat that has got tattoo since.

I feel sorry for anybody that got a tattoo right before the 'craze' really took off (in around maybe 2000?), even if they actually got a decent one that has aged well as a design they still now just look like every other dickhead/copy cat that has got tattoo since.
I remember when it used to be only hard bastards like me that got them.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
Beards and tattoos are a really unique look. I see that look and go 'wow, I want to talk to him, he seems interesting.'

Any time! I also have a shaved head!

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
They suit some, and not others. Like most things I suppose.

Also agree that too many flogs just copied other flogs. Same with tattoos. Try hards.

craigos

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
A mate who had a beard for say 5 years literally shaved it off because everyone has one now and it's so hipster. Was confused when I told him that not having a beard because everyone else has a beard is actually hipster.

Do we have a new word instead of hipster yet? Sounding like my old man saying "awesome dude".

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
If you have a beard for a certain length of time that becomes part if you. You can be 50 and decide to grow a beard and then get rid of it, that's OK, but if you are 50 and have had a beard for 25 years then you are a committed beardy, if you shave it off it freaks people out.

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
The old man had a moustache for about maybe 15 years through the middle of his life and then randomly decided to get rid of it, dunno why he didn't grow it back because he looked way better with it.
If you have a beard for a certain length of time that becomes part if you. You can be 50 and decide to grow a beard and then get rid of it, that's OK, but if you are 50 and have had a beard for 25 years then you are a committed beardy, if you shave it off it freaks people out.
There's a teacher at the school I had that still works there, 25 years later I reckon apart from the beard and pony tail greying the dude still looks exactly the same as he did then. It's like he's one of those people that were old-young but then turned young-old, the Shannon Hurn effect it might be called.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2003
Lubyanka Square
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Red Devil Sport Club
Then:

Tatts: Bikie, ex-con
Beard: Bikie, lumberjack, wizard, Hasidic Jew

Now:

Tatts: Barista in someone else's coffee shop, works in someone else's craft brewery
Beard: Barista in someone else's coffee shop, works in someone else's craft brewery

In the 1990s if you saw a player that looked like Danny Southern you would think he is hard as nails, played seniors at 15, has at least one parent in jail and a dog that looks like it feeds on human flesh.

Now if you saw a player that looked like that you would wonder which private school they went to and whether they've got a French Bulldog or just a Pug.
Close to the truth there

Some of tatts I see on hipster types look worse than prison tatts
Old bogans like me see it and think did a stoned mate do those?

Oct 7, 2003
Lubyanka Square
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Red Devil Sport Club
My kids freaked when I went the no2 comb on the beard

Feb 24, 2013
The GoldenBrown Heart of Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man Utd Green Bay Melb Storm

A Bearded Iris.

Aug 31, 2012
Pining for the fjords
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
******* stupid game

Egads! You are me AICMFP.

That's pretty much what mine looks like. Mrs NB was away for a while about three months ago. I had a few days off work and was due to go back after 6 days growth. On the first day back I just couldn't be arsed shaving so kept it. About 3 months in and (pun intended) it's growing on me.

The biggest hassle is trimming the hairs around the mouth. Not so long they attract food, not so short they spike when Mrs NB and I are kissing.

Got to be careful when yodeling down the canyon too!

Back