2019 Trade thread

Think he probably ends up at St Kilda, as the pod in question mentioned.

Personally I’d back in Ely Smith to be better than Constable in the long term.

Me too. 41 touches on paper is impressive, but it's easy to forget that was in a 100 point win against an incredibly weak opponent.

davemc_lions

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Not sure we need depth. Have a bit of depth in NEAFL
There are only a few in our senior team that not cemented.
Although cement almost dry..
So who do you think gets dislodged?
Not going to say no to Coniglio or the like.
I also not be upset to get Roughy up as a rookie and have him help our forwards in the NEAFL as a playing coach.

10 weeks ago I say we needed
A speedy HB lock down player: Answerth stepped up.
Wing: Mitch Robbo stepped up
Forward tall: We gone various goal kickers then just McStay/Hippy being focal points
Midfield depth: Bailey, Linc, Rayner getting more mid time
Zorko mk2 mid pressure: Berry growing into that role.

Back: Hodge, Witho, Rich, Adams, Andrews, Gardiner
Forwards: Hippy, McStay, Charlie, Linc, Big O and Rayner
Mids/wings.. Berry, Martin. Clugga, Zorko, Lyons, Robbo, Neale.
Answerth and Bailey are the future.
Bundy playing his role well since back in.
If Hodge plays on he keeps Lester out.

Long term Martin, Hodge, Robbo got a few years left.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
I believe you need to continually be adding depth to your list.

Trading is obviously more about adding potential best 22 talent, rather than depth.

Ideally I’d like to see another classy mid added, to compliment McCluggage.

Another general defender to add to the mix would be good. Not necessarily a Hodge replacement. I do worry about Gardiner’s banged up body.

Another ruck similar to Martin who can play around the ground.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Not sure we need depth. Have a bit of depth in NEAFL
There are only a few in our senior team that not cemented.
Although cement almost dry..
So who do you think gets dislodged?
I agree we don't need depth. As for who gets dislodged, in terms of pure performance you'd think Hodge (and subsequently Lester) and Christensen are the players we can improve upon. Not that they're bad, they've been excellent this season and bring a lot of experience and leadership. But Hodge realistically has a maximum of one more season left and there are more damaging players than Christensen out there.

davemc_lions

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I agree we don't need depth. As for who gets dislodged, in terms of pure performance you'd think Hodge (and subsequently Lester) and Christensen are the players we can improve upon. Not that they're bad, they've been excellent this season and bring a lot of experience and leadership. But Hodge realistically has a maximum of one more season left and there are more damaging players than Christensen out there.
I agree get in replacements for older players...
Although is that trade vs draft? Do we not already have a player coming through or depth?

I see a trade is someone who we think is 22 now and dislodges a player.
Round 21 2018 side against last weeks side. 7 changes only from a side that won 5 games last year.
Trades all 4 in senior 22:
Neale - Beams
Lyons - Matho
McCarthy - Taylor
Adams - Walker

Drafted
Answerth - Starc.. Although Starc injured opened door for Bailey who got injured and opened door for Answerth. So that is one spot taken through injuries.

Injured
Cameron - N Robbo... Although Clugga got Nicks spot and Cameron Hugh's

Came through NEAFL
Bailey - Cutler

In NEAFL we have depth.
Matho, Skinner, Taylor, Cutler, Keays, Walker, N Robbo, Archie Smith and Lester.
Young players
Payne, Starc, E Smith, T Berry, C Lyons, Madden, Joyce, Fullarton, Ballenden, Wooler, Allison, Cox and Hinge

So if we trade we look 22 or to replace one of our depth/young players who not come on.
I assume we look to draft in Coleman as well.

Last edited:

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
briztoon has it right, there will be and has to be continual tinkering with your list, it's part of the rules of list management.

I'm thinking there will be a more than expected turnover this off season with so many players still OOC at seasons end(13) at this stage and so few OOC at the end of 2020(6) so far.

Fagan, Noble, Amrogio, Conole and co. will just about put up the "Rebuild Mission Accomplished" sign after this off season IMO, from then on it will be minimal changes for a while and they will throw more focus than they have right now on sustainable success long term ie. a decade or more of being in top 4/flag contention.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
briztoon has it right, there will be and has to be continual tinkering with your list, it's part of the rules of list management.

I'm thinking there will be a more than expected turnover this off season with so many players still OOC at seasons end(13) at this stage and so few OOC at the end of 2020(6) so far.

Fagan, Noble, Amrogio, Conole and co. will just about put up the "Rebuild Mission Accomplished" sign after this off season IMO, from then on it will be minimal changes for a while and they will throw more focus than they have right now on sustainable success long term ie. a decade or more of being in top 4/flag contention.
You aren't wrong.

The fewest changes we've made in an off-season is five, which occurred at the conclusion of the 2001 and 2003 seasons, so I wouldn't think there would be any less.

Scubaveg

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2009
Carina
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Agree. I can see 6 changes. Robertson, Allyson, Eagles, Bastinac, Cutler and Hinge all departing.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I believe you need to continually be adding depth to your list.

Trading is obviously more about adding potential best 22 talent, rather than depth.

Ideally I’d like to see another classy mid added, to compliment McCluggage.

Another general defender to add to the mix would be good. Not necessarily a Hodge replacement. I do worry about Gardiner’s banged up body.

Another ruck similar to Martin who can play around the ground.

Developmental/young ruck is worth investing a decent draft pick on imo (depending on what other options are available). Big O is locked in to the forward/ruck role but once Stef retires at minimum we will need backup/competition with Archie and personally I think we could do with an upgrade.

davemc_lions

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Developmental/young ruck is worth investing a decent draft pick on imo (depending on what other options are available). Big O is locked in to the forward/ruck role but once Stef retires at minimum we will need backup/competition with Archie and personally I think we could do with an upgrade.
the question is draft or trade in someone who behind a #1 ruck elsewhere.
Unless it is Grundy or Gawn :) or maybe Nic Nat wants to come to the best medical team

lioninthesand

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
IMO we need midfield depth as a priority. Yes our midfield is strong ATM but that is with no injury. The moment we are stretched, Robbo, Linc and Charlie have to go in there which is not ideal. This takes into account Clugger is a genuine winger ATM.

Top tier

Zorko
Lyons
Neale

Genuine mid Depth

Insert player here
Insert player here

Can be mid depth

Robbo
Linc

Up and coming (sure things)

Berry

Up and Coming (not sure yet)

Matheson
Ely Smith
Insert draftee here
insert draftee here

What ever way you slice it, mid depth is an issue. The really good lists bat 7-8 deep. It's the only area I can see we need to genuinely bolster.

Maybe another ruck too, if Stef or Oscar go down, just not sure Archie is up to it.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
IMO we need midfield depth as a priority. Yes our midfield is strong ATM but that is with no injury. The moment we are stretched, Robbo, Linc and Charlie have to go in there which is not ideal. This takes into account Clugger is a genuine winger ATM.

Top tier

Zorko
Lyons
Neale

Genuine mid Depth

Insert player here
Insert player here

Can be mid depth

Robbo
Linc

Berry

Matheson
Ely Smith
Insert draftee here
insert draftee here

What ever way you slice it, mid depth is an issue. The really good lists bat 7-8 deep. It's the only area I can see we need to genuinely bolster.

Maybe another ruck too, if Stef or Oscar go down, just not sure Archie is up to it.
Cutler should also be included in these discussions, is best 22 IMO and should be back or close to once he overcomes his injuries.

Top tier

Zorko
Lyons
Neale

Genuine mid Depth

Insert player here
Insert player here

Can be mid depth

Robbo
Linc

Berry

Matheson
Ely Smith
Insert draftee here
insert draftee here

Clugga has pretty good contested numbers for a ‘genuine winger’.
Averaging 8.3 contested possessions per game this year!
Meaning 37.5% of his 22.1 possessions per game are contested!
They are pretty good numbers!

jjami15

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I’d say Berry come under genuine mid depth with potential to go into the top tier. He already produces enough to be mid depth, as seen from the weekend and many other games this year.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Second this, his last two weeks have been back to his best and think that it is only the beginning. You need a number of mids to rotate through and he is one and will get more time in there.

Second this, his last two weeks have been back to his best and think that it is only the beginning. You need a number of mids to rotate through and he is one and will get more time in there.
He is really starting to lower the eyes after bursting through a pack and hitting a target 🎯

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
I have high hopes for our mids that have yet to play at AFL level ie. Tom Berry, Tom Joyce, Ely Smith and Connor McFadyen. + those who have had limited midfield exposure at that level ie. Noah Answerth, Zac Bailey and Brandon Starcevich.

That is 7 potential mostly permanent midfielders already on our list. Looking 2-3 years down the track-

Answerth- IMO he would be a very good player on the wing.
Bailey- Wing/forward.
Starcevich- Explosive burst from stoppage player.
T.Berry- Tom has something to my eye that screams very good player, confident in him.
McFadyen- IMO he'll be a 3rd tall forward/midfield stints, similar to Rayner.
E.Smith- ?? I can't quite get a handle on him. Similar to Berry Snr?
Joyce- Haven't seen or watched him enough to make even a cursory judgment.

Albeit these glimpses and form have been in a side thrashing opponents every week, so they could all turn out to be below what is required.

Back