List Mgmt. Trade & Draft UltraThread- Warning, May Contain Speculation #combinethethreads

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wedgetailed Westerner good post and Yes I think in the main out recruitment staff have done a very good job, after all they just delivered us a Premiership and maybe even a shot at back to back.
Some of my posts are a touch mischievous and deliberately provocative and I don’t ever shy away from the fact that I want our Club to be in a constant search for excellence.

That said I think most here would agree that our midfield depth is not flash and needs urgent attention.
Days like last Sunday just annoy the s**t out of me when I see the likes of the Crouch brothers and Sloan tear us apart at stoppages , hence my angst.

What our recruiting team now have at their disposal, that they did not have previously, is the ability to trade down in a draft and specifically target player X or Y to ensure we get our mark in the draft. This allows a flexibility to maximise draft picks and more specifically address list needs. Where as our previous success has precluded us from picks at the pointy end of the draft.
Monocle Very good points. I'm with you on the frustration part. I was watching the game and thinkign the same thing. However, The Crouch boys are extreme butchers and honestly I don't think their hurt factor is something we need to worry about.. if they played for us they would be our scape goats every week.
Sloan on the other hand, is a gun who should have been tagged. I reckon he would have been had he not been taken out of the game.
What let us down on the weekend was our crazy disposal inside 50 and our finishing for goal. Where we were able to get over 60 inside 50's and won the count by over 20, to me tells a different story. We should have won by 4-5 more goals, maybe even more.
I love what how recruiting team have done in the last 4-5 years since Simmo has been here. It puts us in a position of being able to have sustained request.
As much as it was great having Rawlings, I think it was more a team effort, with a lot of input from the coach.

Not sure if i believe these Petrucelle rumours. Haven't seen a possible trade involving him, or even that other clubs are courting him, mentioned anywhere other than here. But if is going then what would we want in return? Given he is under contract and will only improve from here i wouldn't entertain anything short of a top 20 pick in return.

I think the Kelly trade will be a massive ball ache for us. Expect Geelong to have to be dragged kicking and screaming to the trade table. I certainly didn't think they were a chance for the flag this year and given the declining output of their stars and how weak the bottom end of their list is, i think if Kelly goes so does any hope of a flag for them.

I am expecting them to try and create a bidding war between us and Freo. And if that doesn't work, either because Kelly says No or Freo want to keep their draft picks this year, i expect a re - run of last years tactics where they ask for things we can't possible give them like the number 1 pick this year or McGovern in return or something ridiculous like that. The point will be to drag the negotiations out untill the last day and have them collapse and then have time run out. Then they say to Kelly "Gee, sorry Tim, we really tried hard but it is West Coasts fault because they couldn't come up with a suitable trade and obviously didn't really want you. But i tell you what, here is a one year contract for next year. Why don't you just resign and play next year with us and then we will try again for you next year". And the Vic media will be in full chorus blaming us aswell.

The way around that is for Kelly and his management to make pre - emptive complaints and threats of litigation to the AFL before trade week even begins to make sure they put the same pressure on Geelong that they put on other clubs to make sure out of contract players get to where they want to go. It will make him look like a d*** and he will burn bridges in Geelong. But i think unless Kelly and his management get pushy and aggressive with Geelong and make sure that the AFL is breathing down their neck to get the deal done then we will have a lot of problems getting this done.

Monocle Very good points. I'm with you on the frustration part. I was watching the game and thinkign the same thing. However, The Crouch boys are extreme butchers and honestly I don't think their hurt factor is something we need to worry about.. if they played for us they would be our scape goats every week.
Sloan on the other hand, is a gun who should have been tagged. I reckon he would have been had he not been taken out of the game.
What let us down on the weekend was our crazy disposal inside 50 and our finishing for goal. Where we were able to get over 60 inside 50's and won the count by over 20, to me tells a different story. We should have won by 4-5 more goals, maybe even more.
I love what how recruiting team have done in the last 4-5 years since Simmo has been here. It puts us in a position of being able to have sustained request.
As much as it was great having Rawlings, I think it was more a team effort, with a lot of input from the coach.
Re Crouch brothers, I agree.
If stats weren't kept and people just watched the game, they'd see a lot of those so called contested beasts aren't that threatening. Some people see someone with 20 contested possessions and 10 clearances next to their name and lose their minds.

Petch is awesome trade bait IMO. His value is seriously inflated at the moment. He looks good in a team of premium forwards and midfielders.

It's really hard to hit a target when you're running full-tilt, which is his only trick. He's superfluous to the team right now.
I daresay the more games he gets, the more he'll adapt. He was recruited as a raw talent who could drift in and out of games; not surprising to see his second season of AFL reflect that.

I do think he's improving at getting to more contests and stoppages, especially late in games. He does try and win the footy, but lacks the strength to burst free. Needs to develop more composure, which may be helped by his physical maturation.

He's definitely worth holding onto, unless a beneficial trade opportunity comes up. Cripps was somewhat similar (albeit more pressure-oriented), and is probably an excellent role model for his development trajectory.

Anyone know of any OOC WA players not named Tim Kelly?
Ignoring the players taken in the mid season draft, WA players playing interstate and out of contract are:

Nick Robertson
David Myers
Matt Guielfi
Jack Martin
Stephen Coniglio
Tim Kelly
Jeff Garlett
Kyron Hayden
Billy Frampton
Sahi Bolton
Darcy Cameron

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good chance but his pick could be what helps us et Kelly over the line.

in 2-3 years time we are probably bottoming out as well and he's not the sort of player that would do well at an average side. He's a one trick pony in my mind. He has only speed as his only asset.

Good chance but his pick could be what helps us et Kelly over the line.

in 2-3 years time we are probably bottoming out as well and he's not the sort of player that would do well at an average side. He's a one trick pony in my mind. He has only speed as his only asset.

What’s going on champ, even ep2018 is more optimistic than this

If Petch leaves you will all complain about the unders taken for him in 2-3 years time. I expected him to still be playing wafl at this point in time and he’s doing some really special things already.

Yeah he’s kicked 19 goals and averages 1.9 tackles a game this year .which is pretty good for a project player..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back