Up the Coasters Oscar Allen round 21 Rising Star

DanWCE

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 2, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
I agree actually. Except Pav’s build made him a beast from day one.

When you weigh it all up, it really was a no brainer to take him at pick 21.

What’s scary is to think Brander was so much better than him that we took him first and left it up to chance for another side to grab Allen.

I suspect we would have assumed Allen would be gone well before our second pick, and were planning on taking Kelly.

Imagine the melts if we had Brander in the WAFL and Oz was tearing it up in Melbourne? Oooh boy. Mind you, without Oz maybe Brander gets more games..

We are very good at identifying tall talent at any point in the draft and so I'm very confident they haven't totally ****ed this up by taking them both. Whens the last time we got one wrong? Large Frase went pretty early if I recall. Still on the list, though!

Jan 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Imagine the melts if we had Brander in the WAFL and Oz was tearing it up in Melbourne? Oooh boy. Mind you, without Oz maybe Brander gets more games..

We are very good at identifying tall talent at any point in the draft and so I'm very confident they haven't totally f’ed this up by taking them both. Whens the last time we got one wrong? Large Frase went pretty early if I recall. Still on the list, though!
Lamb was kind of a tall

Jan 19, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Brander and Kelly would presumably be both playing but impossible to say

Drafting OAllen was the sliding doors moment that won us the flag last year.

If we drafted Kelly instead of Oscar, then Kelly would have been in the side ahead of Sheed at seasons end. With Sheed in our finals team, you campaigners know what happens next.

Jan 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast

If we drafted Kelly instead of Oscar, then Kelly would have been in the side ahead of Sheed at seasons end. With Sheed in our finals team, you campaigners know what happens next.
So basically you're saying Oscar won us the premiership last year. I can get on board with that.

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast

Surely they would have snuck Sheed in over Venables.

Man I hope we can squeeze in another genuine midfield rotation who can play HFF soon

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
So basically you're saying Oscar won us the premiership last year. I can get on board with that.
It’s pretty amazing that he was pencilled in to play in the GF until the morning of the game.

He was on the Ute with the other emergencies on parade day, and he had a steely look in his eyes. At the time I thought it was cute that he was taking being an emergency so seriously, but he genuinely could have been balls deep in that s**t

Jan 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
It’s pretty amazing that he was pencilled in to play in the GF until the morning of the game.

He was on the Ute with the other emergencies on parade day, and he had a steely look in his eyes. At the time I thought it was cute that he was taking being an emergency so seriously, but he genuinely could have been balls deep in that s**t
This year, he'll be involved in the winning sequence of the GF and win us back to back flags

DanWCE

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 2, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Man I hope we can squeeze in another genuine midfield rotation who can play HFF soon

562380-tlslargelandscape.jpg

avishka5

150 game legend.
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Zombie Lover
Sep 1, 2014
Perth SOR
AFL Club
West Coast
Watched a bit of last weeks replay and Oscar's ability to compete against the big boys is quite amazing. In the ruck he's giving +10kgs and +10cm away but I barely see his opponent rag doll him that much. Most young talls don't do this well so early on unless they're a man child like a Jack Darling.

Would really like to see him hit the gym over the offseason and get his body right so that he commands a genuine tall defender and puts less pressure on an ageing JK.

Jan 9, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers, South Fremantle
Considering that the voting for the Rising Star award is heavily influenced by the Victorian media, many who don't even know who Oscar Allen is, he is not going to feature prominently in the final voting. However I reckon by the time his career is finished it will match the career of any of the nominations from this season. He has simply excelled this year with the various roles he has been asked to play.

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if his career took a similar path to Nick Riewoldt, but unlike Nick, as a WA boy he has little chance of getting the Rising Star nod.

WillieNillie

All Australian
Mar 31, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Oscar Allen was who had foot issues that was going to keep him out of all the finals series. He flew with the team but was zero chance of ever playing. We just wanted to neader to the fact we may take Hickey out to bring him in essentially and keep teams guessing. By seasons end he had both a quad injury and a small fracture in his foot but played through it until he worsened his quad in the last home game of the year

Just think guys, From the bye onwards he wasnt at 100%. Far from it. Imagine what he will do next year at 100%. Exciting to think about

Back