ImperialPurple

Matthew Pavlich Medallist
May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC, Aussie Women's Cricket, HNK
He always took his boots off as soon as the siren went. It often made me wonder - did they hurt by pulling the hair on the top of his feet? You know, given that he’s a hobbit and all.

Always called him Frodo in his first couple of years. Then it became ‘you bloody little beauty’. Had his occasional slip-up (pun intended), but will always be remembered as one of the great characters and great entertainers of this club. Bloody good little player too - and who didn’t LOVE it when his stirring used to make an opposition player lose his sh*t?!?

Gonna miss you Ballas. If you do get another gig at another club, pretty sure your heart will still be beating purple.

Best of luck Frodo 👍🏼💜👍🏼

Last edited:

AAACockburn

Premiership Player
Mar 30, 2013
Inside Wayne Carey's pain relief Ziplock.
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
VFL
Its going to be a sad game this week.

Thanks for the memories.

Square Peg

Cancelled
Fremantle Poster of the Year Fremantle Board Tipping Champion
Jul 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Gonna miss you Ballas. If you do get another gig at another club, pretty sure your heart will still be beating purple.

Best of luck Frodo 👍🏼💜👍🏼

I wouldn't resent him getting a spot on an AFL list elsewhere, but hopefully it won't happen and the mayor of mandurah returns to Peel to mentor some of the younger guys like Sturt

ImperialPurple

Matthew Pavlich Medallist
May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC, Aussie Women's Cricket, HNK
I wouldn't resent him getting a spot on an AFL list elsewhere, but hopefully it won't happen and the mayor of mandurah returns to Peel to mentor some of the younger guys like Sturt
Can’t see any of the higher teams needing a 31yo inconsistent small forward. Gold Coast maybe? Good luck to him (despite his previous desire to become a weag... WTF was that all about in hindsight??), hope he’s happy wherever he might end up.

Jul 15, 2007
Too far from my bed
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Patriots
It's no accident that club's most successful era featured the legendary (at the time) forward pressure and Balla was the main weapon in that regard. But he wasn't just a pressure player; he loved a goal, he loved his teammates and he loved the club. Even as he faded in more recent years, he left nothing on the field when he played, he gave his all - that is all you can ask.

Doubt he'll be playing AFL next season, but my hope is gives himself every chance with a game for the ages. Kicks goals, messes with the Don's defenders heads, hunts down unaware HBF and helps us win the game in style.

Last edited:

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I honestly thought at the time it was worth keeping him end of last year. He was okay without being great.

I think injuries may have been at play in the background. His speed and agility just isn't what it was. At his peak he was an absolute jet - we need someone like him now. I'll miss him.

Hope he can stay around the club and Peel and contribute if another team doesn't pick him up which is likely tbh.

Beak_A

All Australian
Dec 11, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
It's no accident that club's most successful era featured the legendary (at the time) forward pressure and Balla was the main weapon in that regard. But he wasn't just a pressure player; he loved a goal, he loved his teammates and he loved the club. Even as he faded in more recent years, he left nothing on the field when he played, he gave his all - that is all you can ask.

Doubt he'll be playing AFL next season, but my hope is gives himself every chance with a game for the ages. Kicks goals, messes with the Don's defenders heads, hunts down unaware HBF and helps us win the game in style.

Couldn’t have said it any better

Thanks fir everything Ballas you little beauty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Monument Hills

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Hufflepuff, Wildcats, WCE womens
It's great he gets a farewell - always wore his heart on his sleeve and deserves a decent send off.

Not sure on what planet another team is picking him up though.
I believe Geelong is considering it just for 1 year. Just for the lols.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fyfster

Club Legend
Nov 6, 2017
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont
He played like i expected tonight . He is delusional if he thinks another AFL club will pick him up .If i was recruiting for a WAFL team would not be that interested just Quietly.

Midnite65

Club Legend
Sep 27, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Philadelpia 76'ers
He played like i expected tonight . He is delusional if he thinks another AFL club will pick him up .If i was recruiting for a WAFL team would not be that interested just Quietly.
Maybe its just a new ploy, players like Ballas, S Hill, Betts, Thomas, all thinking they can go to the Suns like the AFL's version of the IPL and extend their careers for a couple more years for a big pay day.

purplearmy

Club Legend
Suspended
Apr 3, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
End of an era, no matter what some think of him. Another Freo personality gone, to be replaced by no name spuds.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
Will be sadly missed. The mental aspect still there, backs himself to keep playing. But gee physically he's just cooked. Tried but his body isn't what it used to be. Farewell Ballas

Jul 15, 2007
Too far from my bed
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Patriots
Will be sadly missed. The mental aspect still there, backs himself to keep playing. But gee physically he's just cooked. Tried but his body isn't what it used to be. Farewell Ballas

Yeah, you can see it, it's almost there, but it's gone. He's lost that touch of quickness and instinct and its been like that for a season or so - the intent and drive is there, but the rest of him can't go with it.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan Districts Vancouver Canucks
It's hard not to feel sorry for Hayden. He is a legend of the club and it just didn't work out for him that he got to retire on his own terms.

At his niggly best, there wasn't an opposition fan who would openly despise him and quietly say - geez I'd love him on our team.

Unfortunately time has slowed him down and he's not able to keep up on the big stage.

Good luck Ballaz. Enjoy your family time and your horses. Hopefully we see you kicking a bag at Peel next season.

Jul 15, 2007
Too far from my bed
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Patriots
If only Matera was less of a front runner and more like Ballas was in his prime.

Farewell little champ.

Not really the thread for it, but that's a touch harsh on Matera. He's got nothing on Balla in his prime when it comes to defensive effort and pushing up the ground etc., not sure many have in that regard. But you watch Matera play and he does put in the effort in those things, the problem is he's just slow. For a small player he really lacks that zip you'd like and Balla had in spades. He stays in the team because he can football better than most. He's a smart player and knows how to kick a goal, but he's got nothing of that tenacity Balla had, that much I agree with.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back