News Coaching Thread: The Hardwick Era

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
I would suggest that a leadership course would have been recommended to get stewie to develop aspects of his leadership that have been identified as lacking.

We’ve had clear feedback here he struggles to maintain relationships and communicate effectively with those who don’t share the same viewpoint.

Being an effective leader means working well with all people. If he can improve on this it might mean better development of players that originally would have been shunned on previous instinct.

I’m all for it.
Havard... sounds a bit over the top but goes to show how invested in stewie the club really are:

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I would suggest that a leadership course would have been recommended to get stewie to develop aspects of his leadership that have been identified as lacking.

We’ve had clear feedback here he struggles to maintain relationships and communicate effectively with those who don’t share the same viewpoint.

Being an effective leader means working well with all people. If he can improve on this it might mean better development of players that originally would have been shunned on previous instinct.

I’m all for it.
Havard... sounds a bit over the top but goes to show how invested in stewie the club really are:

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
The last coach that did it was Brendan Bolton I think...........
#justsayin'

Mar 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears
I think Boltens issue was his tactics. Not his interpersonal skills.

I feel Dew has the tactics, but maybe can work on the communication side.
Agree, Bolton was a great personal leader but had NFI when it came to the match day stuff. Dew seems to be the other way round. With Bolton at the helm we werent to far off Carlton over the last 2 years and they have a lot better list then we do

Camsta

All Australian
May 12, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I don’t like the idea of dew getting an early extension with a year still to go on his contract it’s not as if anyone is going to want to poach him
Happy that it shuts up the Melbourne media next year though - don’t need a whole season of coach speculation with a bunch of young kids.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
When will the penny drop that we have never had a proper functioning forward line that clears out, leads to patterns, crumbs well and has a system and purpose. Surely we can point the bone squarely at Ash Prescott and make a step change and get a forward line coach that makes our crumbers get front and centre and our talls lead AWAY from their directs. I have watched our forwards push back INTO their opponents since day one and we continue to do it. We get a hard leading forward like Corbett and we coach his instincts out of him in the 1's
New forward line coach ...............…. no more Prescott
Rumours around Roughead going north floating around once again. Maybe he's the next forwards coach.

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I dont think it is a rumour anymore mate. Lock it in
2MP King and Lukosius
If he does come at least he has something to work with - as well as teaching our young KPD's how to work over a KPF
I'm just hoping it's not as a player!
Although watching him occasionally roll out for the NEAFL with Spitter Snr might just get me out of bed early on a Saturday

Last edited:

Happy Idiot

All Australian
Oct 12, 2011
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Would we want Ross Lyon as a mentor to Dew for a couple of years?
Don't think I'd touch him, he seems to be a bit toxic as far as performance and retention. If we want a mentor we'd need someone that brings an aura with them, and helps with retention and attraction — Roos is the easy name to throw around and whatever you think of him, his name does carry weight in AFL circles.

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
The word is Ross gives and gets all the love from his star players but doesn't give two shits about the young guys.
Probably not the best for us..

OB11

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 4, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
76ers
Rumours around Roughead going north floating around once again. Maybe he's the next forwards coach.

Apparently I read that Dew speaks to Roughy every week. Either they are best mates or he has been working him hard with Evans to lock him down.

Back