Delisted #11: Will "Meatball" Snelling - Delisted 25/10

Remove this Banner Ad

Should be right to go for VFL finals.

Tough midfielder Will Snelling is eyeing off a return from his minor foot injury next week when the VFL side kicks off its finals campaign.

“Will’s tracking well, he’s running and building back up. He’ll be aiming towards the first VFL final.”

I really want to stress that he has been quite good in his games at AFL level and clearly is capable. Certainly played his role well enough against the Eagles and can hold his head high.

But if they want to play him forward with the occasional rotation into the middle, it's crucial he becomes more confident in his kicking. Having a guy in the forward 50 who is handballing 2-3 times more than he kicks doesn't seem sustainable.

It's odd because while I wouldn't say his kicking is phenomenal it seems effective on the occasions he has some space and goes by foot.

I really want to stress that he has been quite good in his games at AFL level and clearly is capable. Certainly played his role well enough against the Eagles and can hold his head high.

But if they want to play him forward with the occasional rotation into the middle, it's crucial he becomes more confident in his kicking. Having a guy in the forward 50 who is handballing 2-3 times more than he kicks doesn't seem sustainable.

It's odd because while I wouldn't say his kicking is phenomenal it seems effective on the occasions he has some space and goes by foot.
At least he cracked in and put his body in the line of the ball. Few others did.

I'm a fan of him. Shame he only came into the side when we were crap but I reckon he'll end up playing 100-150 for the club. He's a likely type.
Good pressure, quick enough (without being lightning) and is handy as a small forward who can also rotate through the midfield. I can see him being perfect for rotating with Smith next year.

Have any other mid-season recruited players shown as much?

Another Dodoro success story.
John Noble is pretty good.

Have any other mid-season recruited players shown as much?

Another Dodoro success story.
The mid-season draft was another blemish on the record of Dodoro. Draper had just gone down with an ACL whilst Daniher and Stewart were both battling groin problems. Zac Clarke was also in and out of the side with his own injuries. It was painfully obvious we needed key forward and ruck depth. Riley Bowman made his debut in our VFL team and looked very promising as well as Jake Riccardi for Werribee (kicked 13 goals in his first 7 games as a 19 y.o. KPF). So, in true Dodoro fashion, he selected a 174cm midfielder with no outstanding attributes and passed on our 2nd pick. What a guy.

The mid-season draft was another blemish on the record of Dodoro. Draper had just gone down with an ACL whilst Daniher and Stewart were both battling groin problems. Zac Clarke was also in and out of the side with his own injuries. It was painfully obvious we needed key forward and ruck depth. Riley Bowman made his debut in our VFL team and looked very promising as well as Jake Riccardi for Werribee (kicked 13 goals in his first 7 games as a 19 y.o. KPF). So, in true Dodoro fashion, he selected a 174cm midfielder with no outstanding attributes and passed on our 2nd pick. What a guy.
I'm not sure there were any suitable rucks available at our pick. I mean it's all very well to grab a ruck out of the mid season draft but if they all looked like they'd be worse than Clarke then what's the point?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love this dude. Not sure how many players his size we can fit in the squad, but he definitely has the tools to make it at AFL level. Has a bit of mongrel about him, too.

Im still not 100% convinced. We already have a plethora of small forward cum midfielders on the list. Devon Smith being the most like for like. With him returning, are we just clogging up the list or does he have a real spot in the AFL best 22?

1. I am happy to have more than 1 Devon Smith in the team.

2. If we had had him in the team a couple of years ago, Mark Baguley would be a distant memory.

1. I am happy to have more than 1 Devon Smith in the team.

2. If we had had him in the team a couple of years ago, Mark Baguley would be a distant memory.
I like his attack, I really do. All I am saying is we have enough small players in our team. What is his point of difference that demands AFL selection week in, week out?

I like his attack, I really do. All I am saying is we have enough small players in our team. What is his point of difference that demands AFL selection week in, week out?

Compared to our other players? He can play?

Why does he need a point of difference?

The fact that he runs his arse off, has a willingness to spread from the contest and work back defensively, can rotate through the middle and hit the scoreboard isn’t enough?

Will is the type of player we’ve been looking for for a very long time, and now that he’s landed in our lap for some reason we’re poo pooing him?

The fact that he runs his arse off, has a willingness to spread from the contest and work back defensively, can rotate through the middle and hit the scoreboard isn’t enough?

Will is the type of player we’ve been looking for for a very long time, and now that he’s landed in our lap for some reason we’re poo pooing him?

How many sub 180cm midfielders can you carry? is that what he is? or is he a small forward? who is he displacing from either position? thats all I am asking.. If he were a foot taller, sure, walk up starter as he would have some size to be a force in the midfield but he doesn't.

Don't get me wrong, he competes but so did Baggers. I get that he attacks it hard and all but Im just not sure he is a walk up start in the AFL line up for 2020.

How many sub 180cm midfielders can you carry? is that what he is? or is he a small forward? who is he displacing from either position? thats all I am asking.. If he were a foot taller, sure, walk up starter as he would have some size to be a force in the midfield but he doesn't.

Don't get me wrong, he competes but so did Baggers. I get that he attacks it hard and all but Im just not sure he is a walk up start in the AFL line up for 2020.

Richmond play 6, 7, even 8 of them at times, it doesn’t worry them because it’s not relevant to that role.

He’s not a walk up start and I suspect he’s always going to operate around the fringes but the fact that everyone’s focusing on his height and not the fact that he’s shown an ability to run through the middle while impacting as a forward shows that our priorities are completely out of whack.

Yeah I think he’s a good find. It’s not about him as an individual.

To me the height/size stuff is about the balance of the team - I believe our small midfield (plus Kyle) negatively impacts our marking power in general play (ie those contests between the arcs that aren’t the classic long down the line situation) and ability to physically match and (god forbid) even intimidate other teams.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back