Analysis Beveridge - where to from here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Have it on good authority that midfield coach Steve Grace hasn't had his contract renewed. Interesting given the midfield is one area of the program that is functioning effectively. Making way for a soon ex player, hoping this is not becoming a old boys club.
Hi Adz

dergert

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 17, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Hard to believe with grace seeing as though he is good mates with Beveridge. Also the little jab about becoming an old boys club gives it up straight away. 3/10.

Charlie Bucket

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Have it on good authority that midfield coach Steve Grace hasn't had his contract renewed. Interesting given the midfield is one area of the program that is functioning effectively. Making way for a soon ex player, hoping this is not becoming a old boys club.

I’d say Joel Corey is more director of our midfield dominance as the structures and set up coach. Grace could very well just be a general midfield assistant. Imo it was a strange call bringing him in to coach the VFL in 17/18 and his form in that role wasn’t great either with the team struggling over both years.
There’s always behind the scenes stuff and he could very well be a good coach and we could be heading towards the boys club as you say, but for me, Steve Grace being replaced doesn’t shock at all.

Bemoreboyddog

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Wonder if Lindsay Gilbee is finding his way home...?

bigroy87

Cancelled
Aug 11, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hard to believe with grace seeing as though he is good mates with Beveridge. Also the little jab about becoming an old boys club gives it up straight away. 3/10.
Well believe it because this is fact. Dale Morris will be on the coaching panel next season, and Rohan Smith will come back into a defensive line role. Not becoming a boys club.......is a boys club. Only one coach on the panel has had some exposure in a different environment, that being one season at St Kilda.

Well believe it because this is fact. Dale Morris will be on the coaching panel next season, and Rohan Smith will come back into a defensive line role. Not becoming a boys club.......is a boys club. Only one coach on the panel has had some exposure in a different environment, that being one season at St Kilda.
Steven King
Ash Hansen
Joel Corey
Jordon Russell

All from other club environments and all had other experience before coming across. A boys club usually rfers to playing then coaching at the 1 club. Nice of you to expand that definition to suit your narrative

Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Steven King
Ash Hansen
Joel Corey
Jordon Russell

All from other club environments and all had other experience before coming across. A boys club usually rfers to playing then coaching at the 1 club. Nice of you to expand that definition to suit your narrative
Don't bother replying to Adz. Doesn't need facts to suit his weird obsession with the Bulldogs coaching staff.

Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Tasmania

I'm a bag fan of your work

Cadillac

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 25, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The best coach this footy club has ever had! I’ll always back the bloke in.

I honestly don’t think any paid up member would be asking for Beveridge to be sacked. Because every paid up member who puts their hard earned into the club knows how special Bevo is to our footy club. As Ash1337 said. If Richmond sacked Dimma after 6 years at the club than he wouldn’t be a premiership coach. And if Buckley was sacked after 6 years, he wouldn’t have taken Collingwood to a grand final.

We are 3 players short of completing our rebuild with another top 10 pick coming in and an abundance of salary cap cash. After we get out of this and back on track I want everyone to remember who it was advocating for Beveridge to be sacked.

There isn’t a coach who’s available out there that will do a better job than Luke can do.
Yeah. Let’s sack Beveridge. And change coaches just like North, saints, Essendon and Carlton. Take an inferior coach. Completely fu** up our entire footy club. And go watch Bevo win another flag at another club. Last post I make because I can’t be f****ed with talking about it but he hasn’t got the KPP cattle to work with and get results. We will be much better next year with a good off season.

Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Tasmania
I don't think Beveridge gets enough credit on our board. There's a lot of melting going on here when some are perplexed by selection decisions. When we lose those games Bevo cops a lot of criticism. When we have a great win like last night then the match selection is normally forgotten about pretty quickly and the players are given the bulk of the praise. Many were angry about Roarke's selection but he came in and played a role to a high enough standard. There was also a lot of melting regarding the continued selection of McNeil and Scott but I think most of us are now seeing the value they bring.

I'll put my hand up and admit that I questioned Bevo's tactical ability for the first time last year. Our game plan just felt obsolete and frustrating. I started to lose faith. But Bevo obviously had a clear direction about the style of football that would be effective and he had a plan for building a team to suit that game plan. The direction of the team has clearly been to put our elite ball users in the back line and to fill our forward half with speed. This has worked beautifully and it's a big reason that Wallis can no longer get a game as he has neither of those traits.

It's become apparent that Bevo is far more than a fantastic man manager with off-the-charts emotional intelligence. He is also a master tactician and his game day coaching and the system he has implemented should be more highly appreciated by us fans. Pay less attention to which of the 21st and 22nd picked players we choose each week; it really isn't that important and is rarely the difference in a match.

I'm resigned to the fact that we are probably witnessing the smartest coach with the best character that I'm likely to see in my lifetime. What a beautiful stroke of luck that he and Bont are inhabiting our club at the same time. Enjoy it as much as you can and try not to dwell on the bad games. Understand that as our performance improves your own expectations of the team will naturally increase. This can mean that we are never satisfied with how our team is performing because we always want more. I've been focusing on trying to appreciate getting to barrack for this team, knowing that most supporters would give their left nut to have their team going this well.

Next Waiting

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 19, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I don't think Beveridge gets enough credit on our board. There's a lot of melting going on here when some are perplexed by selection decisions. When we lose those games Bevo cops a lot of criticism. When we have a great win like last night then the match selection is normally forgotten about pretty quickly and the players are given the bulk of the praise. Many were angry about Roarke's selection but he came in and played a role to a high enough standard. There was also a lot of melting regarding the continued selection of McNeil and Scott but I think most of us are now seeing the value they bring.

I'll put my hand up and admit that I questioned Bevo's tactical ability for the first time last year. Our game plan just felt obsolete and frustrating. I started to lose faith. But Bevo obviously had a clear direction about the style of football that would be effective and he had a plan for building a team to suit that game plan. The direction of the team has clearly been to put our elite ball users in the back line and to fill our forward half with speed. This has worked beautifully and it's a big reason that Wallis can no longer get a game as he has neither of those traits.

It's become apparent that Bevo is far more than a fantastic man manager with off-the-charts emotional intelligence. He is also a master tactician and his game day coaching and the system he has implemented should be more highly appreciated by us fans. Pay less attention to which of the 21st and 22nd picked players we choose each week; it really isn't that important and is rarely the difference in a match.

I'm resigned to the fact that we are probably witnessing the smartest coach with the best character that I'm likely to see in my lifetime. What a beautiful stroke of luck that he and Bont are inhabiting our club at the same time. Enjoy it as much as you can and try not to dwell on the bad games. Understand that as our performance improves your own expectations of the team will naturally increase. This can mean that we are never satisfied with how our team is performing because we always want more. I've been focusing on trying to appreciate getting to barrack for this team, knowing that most supporters would give their left nut to have their team going this well.
I haven't had a look at squiggle for a while and I'm not even sure if I put any stock in it.

However, it has us flag favourite at the moment but what's interesting is the trajectory of the line towards the cluster of the modern day threepeaters in Lions 2001-03 and Hawks 2013-15. In the balance between attack and defence, 2 of Richmonds, ours in 2016 and Swans 2012 are a cluster of outliers really.

It's possible Bevo, way back at the conclusion of 2016, had a particular game style that he'd settled on as being the one that great teams play and that's the path we're on. Through thick and thin that's been the blueprint and this year it's being revealed. I'm not sure I can articulate what it is and how the balance is defined but both 3 peaters had great midfields, foot skills and some key playmakers as well as high class talls in the forward line.

A tenuous theory based on a graph of disputed validity but a theory nonetheless.

Oct 30, 2003
Kennel
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Bevo will be judged over his success over the next 4 seasons. If we do not win a flag I would rate it a wasted opportunity with the best list of our lifetime. Clarkson would win multiple flags with this list and he and Hardwick are currently miles ahead of all other coaches. The jury is out for the moment. With the best midfield in the comp, the clear second best player in the comp, the most exiting key position player in the comp he needs to deliver.

ScottyDogg

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray

I have been a Bevo man from the moment I walked out of the MCG after round 2 2015. By the end of that season I knew he would go on to be one of the best coaches in Footscray history. He got something out of the players I didn’t think was possible.

BUT

Refusing to play a single true ruckman for two years was ******* stupid. I tolerated it up until the middle/end of last year. I genuinely believe that if we had played English plus any competitive tap ruckman we would have been in the premiership window both of the last two years. Probably still falling short, but we would have won a lot more games.

He’s a brilliant man manager, tactician and game day coach. I don’t think he’s often been criticized for these things. I’m just glad that we didn’t waste another year of our elite drafted talent.

This flawed decision was real and big but we are blessed to have an amazing man at the helm. He now has the cattle required and the plan to suit. Look out.

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Liam Beverages is Hart and Rohde balled into a single humans, cannot coch for peanuts. Get Buckley, Pies are wasting he's talismans. Or better yets, Ross Lyons who will improvise our defensive strictures. Get Lyons, Get Stringer back, then Dogs will implode opposition rectums. Beverages drinks too much bath water soap bubbles, sikk of surfing, skating, snowboarding quotes in his pressies. We need a coch who has plan b, plan c, plan 9.

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Liam Beverages is Hart and Rohde balled into a single humans, cannot coch for peanuts. Get Buckley, Pies are wasting he's talismans. Or better yets, Ross Lyons who will improvise our defensive strictures. Get Lyons, Get Stringer back, then Dogs will implode opposition rectums. Beverages drinks too much bath water soap bubbles, sikk of surfing, skating, snowboarding quotes in his pressies. We need a coch who has plan b, plan c, plan 9.

WTF?!

Guido

Premium Gold
Aug 18, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Leros United
Clarkson would win multiple flags with this list and he and Hardwick are currently miles ahead of all other coaches.
I don't disagree that the next 5 years decides where Beveridge sits, or that Hardwick is an excellent coach.

But in his first 7 full years of coaching (Beveridge in his seventh season now), Hardwick had not won a single final. Missed the finals more often made them. That was with Dusty, Cotchin, Riewoldt, Rance all the way through.

And more importantly, I don't think there's a chance in hell we would have won the 2016 flag with Hardwick at the helm.

Oct 30, 2003
Kennel
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I don't disagree that the next 5 years decides where Beveridge sits, or that Hardwick is an excellent coach.

But in his first 7 full years of coaching (Beveridge in his seventh season now), Hardwick had not won a single final. Missed the finals more often made them. That was with Dusty, Cotchin, Riewoldt, Rance all the way through.

And more importantly, I don't think there's a chance in hell we would have won the 2016 flag with Hardwick at the helm.
Agreed, but somehow Dimma turned it around and has won 3 GF and just lost a prelim in 4 years. Our list is just as good if not better than the Tiges. I also believe Wheeler, Wallace and Eade would salivate with a list this good.

Aug 14, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Yeah definitely. I along with most of this board thought Hannan was useless yesterday and that McNeil and Scott were getting a dream run but he’s obviously happy with them and we are 8-1. There’s clearly a lot that just isn’t obvious to most of us that he values.

The club has never been in better hands. Unless something dramatic happens we’ll have played finals in five of Bev’s seven seasons, with a premiership in hand and reasonable prospects of a sustained finals run. If you’d offered us that at the end of 2014...

Charlie Bucket

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Bevo will be judged over his success over the next 4 seasons. If we do not win a flag I would rate it a wasted opportunity with the best list of our lifetime. Clarkson would win multiple flags with this list and he and Hardwick are currently miles ahead of all other coaches. The jury is out for the moment. With the best midfield in the comp, the clear second best player in the comp, the most exiting key position player in the comp he needs to deliver.

Hardwick isn’t ahead of many as a coach. The Richmond system was developed by the assistants that came on board over the middle seasons.
Hardwick has the ability to get the most out of the players and to keep things on track week to week. Tactically, he’s nowhere near it. Hence the tiges did sweet * all in the years prior to the coaching group around him becoming stronger ( Carracella is the one who should be praised).

In regards to Bevo, Finals 5 of 7 years, premiership coach, 2 x coaches association coach of the year. If you need success over the next 4 years to give Bevo a high pass mark, you’ve deadset got rocks in your head.

I really pity the fans that can’t enjoy the current period of success we’re having. The last 7 years are by far the best period to have been a supporter.

Our current situation - We’re 8-1. We’ve got the best captain in the comp who’s balls deep in the Brownlow chances. One of the best key fwd combos in the comp. One of the those players not long ago kicked a 10goal bag, the other last night took potentially the mark of the year.
Our midfield is tearing the comp to shreds, with many experts talking them up as the best mid group ever. Our VFL side is one of the best in the comp currently also.
Plus, the thing that’s most pleasing, we’re playing good bloody footy. It’s a pleasure to watch us go about it at the moment.

I think some in here need to stop being so ******* miserable and just enjoy the ride.
If we don’t win a flag in the next 5 years. Whinge about it then. For now, cheer the * up!!

A mention also that the club has got one of the best list managers in the business, who has brought in a key forward and our key defender and an A grade midfielder who are contributing every week. All this while we continue to draft elite talent that is the envy of the other clubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back