Should you change jobs often or not?

Remove this Banner Ad

LOL all I walked away with was $13,000 including holiday pay and sick pay after 10 years!

When was this? The National Employment Standards say 2 weeks pay for every year of service when made redundant.

You do you.

If you are leaving permanent positions every 6-12 months then employers are going to look at your CV and wonder why you can't stick it out in one place. But if you are moving contract to contract or keep getting promotions or better offers then loyalty is great but doesn't pay the bills.

There's no point staying in a job you hate because you feel compelled to. I've seen many people stick with jobs that make them miserable because they feel they have to. And not in the sense of needing to bank every last cent to stay above water, out of misdirected loyalty and a false sense of importance.
The point is..... if you enjoy your job, money is secondary for me

When was this? The National Employment Standards say 2 weeks pay for every year of service when made redundant.

Thats actually not correct.

Goes down to 12 weeks after 10 years service and stays there.

Long held IR tradition that the courts assume you have access to LSL in that situation.

Thats actually not correct.

Goes down to 12 weeks after 10 years service and stays there.

Long held IR tradition that the courts assume you have access to LSL in that situation.

Hmmm.

Is this more anti-worker bullshit from the current government? It was 2 weeks per year of service topping out at 26 weeks when I last worked in IR (about 5 years ago.) Not at all hard to believe that they've reduced it unfortunately.

Hmmm.

Is this more anti-worker bulls**t from the current government? It was 2 weeks per year of service topping out at 26 weeks when I last worked in IR (about 5 years ago.) Not at all hard to believe that they've reduced it unfortunately.

Nope that has not changed since the introduction of the Fair Work act under the Alp government

I have an interesting work history.

3-1/2 years; 1 year; 1 year; 1 year; 6 months - each time on to bigger and better things. This caused potential employers to question my loyalty and commitment. Ran my own business for a while and did temp contracts for extra cash. One six month contract turned into four and a half years, the next six month turned into eighteen months. Then I displayed loyalty and commitment by moving country and staying with the one firm for fifteen years and got royally ****ed over. Next job I discovered the word "casualisation" had entered the employment vocabulary, but didn't know what it really meant until after fifteen months with no sick or annual leave I needed a break, said my goodbyes and held my hand out to the boss and he just looked at me.

In other words, do what's best for you. If you are not getting pay rises or promotion, and they are hiring idiots to do a job you could have shifted sideways into and done well at, or if you've got eyes on a management desk and the CEO's nephew turns up straight out of university, the door is that --> way. Go through it.

No if you love what you are doing.

Yes if you hate what you are doing.

Until you are 50 or over, then hang on like a kid on a rollercoaster for dear life.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back