AFLW Welcome to TIGERLAND AFLW - Kodi Jacques

Remove this Banner Ad

1580784536441.png
richmondfc.com.au
Aug 16, 2019 1:43PM

Silky, young midfielder Kodi Jacques is now an AFLW footballer, after being added to Richmond’s inaugural list this week.

The 18-year-old has been a consistent performer for the VFLW Tigers this season, averaging 10 disposals and five tackles across 11 games.

After putting in the hard yards over her first year in the Yellow and Black, Jacques said it felt “absolutely amazing” to have turned her dream into a reality.

“(Playing football) is all I ever wanted to do…as a young kid, I was two years old and had a footy in my hand,” Jacques said.

“I’ve been working pretty hard these last couple of years since (AFLW) become a factor.”

kodi_1024.jpg

When Jacques first decided to give competitive football a go, it was obvious the teenager had a knack for the sport.

So much so, that she skipped local level entirely and started straight in the TAC Cup with the Bendigo Pioneers before joining local side Bendigo Thunder.

“I kind of did it the opposite way around but it all worked out in the end,” the Vic Country representative said.

“My parents always said when I was younger that I always had the natural ability to play football.”

The Bendigo local’s Tigerland journey began late last year when she attended a Richmond Women’s Come and Try Day in Shepparton.

The talent day proved a fruitful exercise for the Tigers’ recruiters with Jacques’ close friend from Bendigo, Grace Campbell, who she brought along to the session, also now on the inaugural Richmond AFLW list.

“Bendigo is an amazing community and they always get around us when something big like this happens…I can’t wait to play (AFLW) with Grace,” Jacques said.

Jacques, a former netballer, considers her kicking and defensive pressure the top traits she’ll bring to Richmond’s inaugural AFLW side.

She was surrounded by her Tiger teammates at a VFLW training session when she learnt of her selection, a moment she will forever cherish.

“It was absolutely amazing to have all the girls around me for that moment,” Jacques said.

“They mean the world to me, I absolutely love this Club and I love the girls as well.”

Richmond Head of Women’s Football, Kate Sheahan, said Jacques had worked extremely hard to get to the point of being offered an AFLW contract.

“Kodi has matured immensely since she first joined our program last year, she has a lot of natural ability, but it has been her willingness to work that has helped her thrive,” Sheahan said.

“She has dedicated herself to being a committed, dependable team player. Everyone’s journey to the big league takes a different path and Kodi’s has been a rewarding one.

“We can’t wait to watch her continue to develop as she enters into a semi-professional regime, it’s a very exciting time for her and everyone at our Club.”

Jacques is the seventh and final Open Age VFLW elevation for the Tigers, with the remaining 14 spots on the list to be made up of NAB AFLW Draft and Rookie selections.

Height: 165cm
D.O.B.: 27-Sep-00
Nickname: Kodes, Jacquesy
Current local club: Bendigo Thunder
Club supported growing up: Collingwood
Greatest inspiration: My family, they always support me and want the best for me. I would not be where I am without them.
Favourite type of kick: Snap
Favourite pump up song to listen to before a match: Savage by Whethan
Which AFL/AFLW player do you model your game on and why: I love how composed Scott Pendelbury is with ball in hand
Favourite teammate and why: Grace Campbell and Monique Conti, they love to have a laugh but are also both very professional and hard working and push me to be better.

1572417935296.png

Last edited:
Bendigo's Kodi Jacques shows top form in debut VFLW season with Richmond Tigers
Anthony Pinda
Bendigo Advertiser
JUNE 26 2019 - 6:30PM
https://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/profile/619/anthony-pinda

When Bendigo's Kodi Jacques was growing up her dream was to play football on the big stage.
Surrounded by siblings who were footy obsessed - including Bridgewater FNC's Liam Jacques - the foundations were set for career on the oval.

"I've always had a footy in my hand since I was born," Kodi Jacques said.
"But when I was growing up I really didn't know about all the pathways to women's football.

"I played netball for the Heathcote Saints for nine years but one day I attended a talent identification day for football.
"I asked my mum if I could switch over to football, my parents always knew I had a natural talent for it."
And the rest is history, after learning the craft as a player with the Bendigo Thunder and Pioneers, before too long the opportunity to play with the Richmond Tigers in the VFLW emerged.

Jacques is currently in her debut season with the Tigers and is enjoying every single moment of it.
"The first few practice matches and games were a little daunting playing against some AFLW players, but now I'm finding my feet and putting together some really strong game performances," Jacques said.
Jacques was named in the VFLW's Team of the Week for her top performance during the Tigers' round five 22-point victory over Geelong, final scores 8.7 (55) over 5.3 (33).
Jacques booted two goals in the game and was also named among the team's best on ground .
"During that match it was my first game with Richmond in the forward line. I was tucked down there and managed to get on the end of a few good goals," Jacques said.

She feels most comfortable playing across the mid-field but declares she is able to play a variety of positions.
"As long as I'm on the ground, I'm happy to play wherever," Jacques said.
Jacques' dedication to the sport involves frequent trips up and down the Calder Highway several times per week to attend training sessions with the Tigers.
Jacques will have the opportunity to play with the Tigers this Sunday against the Casey Demons on Bendigo's Queen Elizabeth Oval for round eight of the VFLW season, game starts at 1pm.
"Hopefully we will get a few people down for the game," Jacques said.
"All my family and friends will be down to watch. It's always good to get back to where you are from to give back to the community."

The Tigers currently sit second on the VFLW ladder with an undefeated 5-0 record and will head into this weekend's match filled with confidence following a 21-point win over NT Thunder during round six, final scores 7.7 (49) over 3.10 (28).
The Tigers will BE fielding a team in the AFLW next season and if Jacques continues on her current hot-streak, the opportunity to fulfill her dream of playing in the nation's top league is more than possible.

"It would be amazing, its everything I have ever wanted to do," she said.
"Even when the AFLW wasn't around I would always say to Liam that I wanted to be the first girl to play in the league.
"Hopefully I can make the team by continuing with top form and putting in all of the hardwork."
Most sportswomen and men drop names of world superstars as their biggest influence.
However, for Jacques it's a whole lot closer to home - it's older brother Liam.
"He and my family have always been so supportive. He is my biggest influence and I've wanted to copy and do whatever he does," Jacques said.
"I always remember watching him play footy when I was younger and thinking, one day I would love to have a crack at that."

View attachment 727743
richmondfc.com.au
Aug 16, 2019 1:43PM

Silky, young midfielder Kodi Jacques is now an AFLW footballer, after being added to Richmond’s inaugural list this week.

The 18-year-old has been a consistent performer for the VFLW Tigers this season, averaging 10 disposals and five tackles across 11 games.

After putting in the hard yards over her first year in the Yellow and Black, Jacques said it felt “absolutely amazing” to have turned her dream into a reality.

“(Playing football) is all I ever wanted to do…as a young kid, I was two years old and had a footy in my hand,” Jacques said.

“I’ve been working pretty hard these last couple of years since (AFLW) become a factor.”

kodi_1024.jpg

When Jacques first decided to give competitive football a go, it was obvious the teenager had a knack for the sport.

So much so, that she skipped local level entirely and started straight in the TAC Cup with the Bendigo Pioneers before joining local side Bendigo Thunder.

“I kind of did it the opposite way around but it all worked out in the end,” the Vic Country representative said.

“My parents always said when I was younger that I always had the natural ability to play football.”

The Bendigo local’s Tigerland journey began late last year when she attended a Richmond Women’s Come and Try Day in Shepparton.

The talent day proved a fruitful exercise for the Tigers’ recruiters with Jacques’ close friend from Bendigo, Grace Campbell, who she brought along to the session, also now on the inaugural Richmond AFLW list.

“Bendigo is an amazing community and they always get around us when something big like this happens…I can’t wait to play (AFLW) with Grace,” Jacques said.

Jacques, a former netballer, considers her kicking and defensive pressure the top traits she’ll bring to Richmond’s inaugural AFLW side.

She was surrounded by her Tiger teammates at a VFLW training session when she learnt of her selection, a moment she will forever cherish.

“It was absolutely amazing to have all the girls around me for that moment,” Jacques said.

“They mean the world to me, I absolutely love this Club and I love the girls as well.”

Richmond Head of Women’s Football, Kate Sheahan, said Jacques had worked extremely hard to get to the point of being offered an AFLW contract.

“Kodi has matured immensely since she first joined our program last year, she has a lot of natural ability, but it has been her willingness to work that has helped her thrive,” Sheahan said.

“She has dedicated herself to being a committed, dependable team player. Everyone’s journey to the big league takes a different path and Kodi’s has been a rewarding one.

“We can’t wait to watch her continue to develop as she enters into a semi-professional regime, it’s a very exciting time for her and everyone at our Club.”

Jacques is the seventh and final Open Age VFLW elevation for the Tigers, with the remaining 14 spots on the list to be made up of NAB AFLW Draft and Rookie selections.

Height: 165cm
D.O.B.: 27-Sep-00
Nickname: Kodes, Jacquesy
Current local club: Bendigo Thunder
Club supported growing up: Collingwood
Greatest inspiration: My family, they always support me and want the best for me. I would not be where I am without them.
Favourite type of kick: Snap
Favourite pump up song to listen to before a match: Savage by Whethan
Which AFL/AFLW player do you model your game on and why: I love how composed Scott Pendelbury is with ball in hand
Favourite teammate and why: Grace Campbell and Monique Conti, they love to have a laugh but are also both very professional and hard working and push me to be better.

Great write up TigermanM2, great selection by the tigers
Her and Grace Campbell came to the same talent day at Bendigo and are good friends and team mates from Bendigo Thunder
Like very much her and Grace's attack on the footy and a bonus they both chose to come to the talent day at the same time
2 from 2 is a fantastic result for these two ladies and our AFLW squad
Kodi was another I thought would surely be upgraded before the draft came around
Kodi was selected in the TAC Cup team of the year in her U18 Bendigo pioneers TAC year
Glad for her as she seems to be very much loved by the playing group as showed by their reaction on the video of her announcement
So she is the last upgrade selection, all others will be done thru the draft
GO TIGERETTES

Great write up TigermanM2, great selection by the tigers
Her and Grace Campbell came to the same talent day at Bendigo and are good friends and team mates from Bendigo Thunder
Like very much her and Grace's attack on the footy and a bonus they both chose to come to the talent day at the same time
2 from 2 is a fantastic result for these two ladies and our AFLW squad
Kodi was another I thought would surely be upgraded before the draft came around
Kodi was selected in the TAC Cup team of the year in her U18 Bendigo pioneers TAC year
Glad for her as she seems to be very much loved by the playing group as showed by their reaction on the video of her announcement
So she is the last upgrade selection, all others will be done thru the draft
GO TIGERETTES

I can't claim the content, just posted what was available on the website as (not sure if it was Genevieve Thorpe's doing) its very good.
I'm thrilled for Kodi. She just goes about her stuff with minimal fuss.

There are still a couple of rookie spots available. I'd expect us to name them before the draft.

Feel for players like Evelyn Burry who did her ACL back in R6 and who was a real chance for a spot as a key back.

Last edited:
COME TO KODI!

• McIvor Times
  • 21 Aug 2019
  • By ANDREW JOHNSTON
img
Photo— Richmond Football Club
Heathcote netballer Kodi Jacques thought she might like to try her hand at football. That got her a gig with Bendigo Pioneers and then VFLW this year with Richmond. But now she’s hit the big time— she’s 18 and will play with Richmond’s AFLW team when it debuts in the league in 2020.
A REINVENTED Kodi Jacques has switched from netball for the Heathcote Saints to football with Richmond and its inaugural AFLW side in 2020.
The 18-year-old already lines up for Richmond in the VFLW and was one of just seven players from that squad to be promoted to the AFLW list.
She will join marquee signings in former Western Bulldogs captain Katie Brennan and former Brisbane Lion Sabrina Frederick.
The ecstatic teenager said it was a dream come true.
“It's an overwhelming feeling,” Jacques said.
“This is all I’ve ever wanted. I’ve loved footy so much all my life. I’ve grown up with a football in my hands, playing with my family and friends. To now be in a position where I get to play at the top level is incredible.”
For Jacques, a lack of footballing pathway as a junior left her on the court with netball – her other great sporting love – playing nine seasons in the red, black and white at Heathcote Netball Club.
But when her football came calling, her choice was never in doubt.
“I played Auskick as a junior. I loved being a part of it and playing the sport, but there wasn't anywhere I could go with it at the time,” she said.
“I took up netball while I was living in Heathcote, it’s a sport I loved and I still really do love it, but it was always footy for me. When the opportunity presented itself to get back into footy, I jumped at it.”
Having spent most of her childhood in Heathcote, Jacques said the town played a key role in shaping her as an athlete.
“It was a great place to grow up,” she said.
“Being out in the bush, you didn’t spend all day on a computer or watching TV. You were constantly outside running around, playing sport and spending time with your friends. It was a perfect way to live.
“I developed some lifelong friends, people who I still hold very close to me and who remain part of my life and I am incredibly grateful for that. I will always have a lot of love for Heathcote.”
The journey to AFLW began at a talent identification day in Shepparton, which put the young gun on the Victoria Country and TAC Cup radar and after a successful 2018 for the Bendigo Pioneers, Jacques was picked up for her first season of VFLW at Tigerland.
Playing 12 games to date as a midfielder and forward in the state's premier women's competition, she averages 10 touches and five tackles a game (and has kicked two goals), playing a key role in a side sitting fourth on the ladder with just one round to be played.
“It’s been an amazing opportunity,” Jacques said.
“Richmond are a fantastic club, they've been great to me this year at VFLW level, so I'm really excited to get to represent them at AFLW level.
“It’s an exciting time for women’s football. The game is continuing to grow and improve, and it presents an opportunity for me to continue to get better and develop as a player. I want to be a part of this club for as long as possible, to continue to give back for everything they have given to me.”
But before the AFLW journey begins, her focus remains on the VFLW season.
“We've got a huge contest this week with the Southern Saints,” Jacques said.
“They’re a great side. They’ve produced some of the best football in the competition, but we also have a lot of belief in the way we play, and know that if we produce our best football we are able to beat anyone.”

Kodi Jacques lives out her childhood dream
by BRAYDEN MAY
Jl6dYhZQ4JlhGdGnnjRB.jpg

Kodi Jacques lives out her childhood dream
By Brayden May
Feb 11 2020

FAIRYTALES do come true – but in the story books they are never as loud as 15,000 people screaming at you simply because you’re wearing a Richmond jumper (and no glass slippers).
But that’s what Heathcote’s Kodi Jacques faced when she made her AFLW debut against Carlton at IKON Park on Friday night.
For a girl forced to play netball as a junior Saint because footy wasn’t an option, Jacques admitted nothing could have prepared her for that first run onto the field and that first bounce of the ball.
Before that she recalled playing in front of maybe 200 when she was a Bendigo Pioneer.
“I got so many goosebumps it was unbelievable,” Jacques said.
“I lined up on Sarah Hoskin on the wing and she just told me to enjoy the moment. It certainly helped to calm my nerves.
“When the siren sounded to start the game, the roar was unlike anything I’ve experienced.
“It was a dream come true and a privilege to pull on the Richmond jumper.”
Although their first AFLW game wasn’t the perfect start for the Tigers (they went down by 34 points), Jacques enjoyed a positive debut.
She finished with seven disposals and seven tackles, although her first touch wasn’t exactly memorable.
“My kick actually got smothered so it wasn’t great,” she joked.
“It was disappointing we weren’t able to get the win, but I think the night overall was bigger than football.
“There was so much build up to the game, so it was very hard not to get caught up in the moment, especially at the first bounce.
“I thought my performance wasn’t too bad considering I played on the wing, when I’m usually more of an inside player.
“But I’m happy to play anywhere as long as I’m getting a game.”
Richmond legend Kevin Bartlett and two-time premiership player Jack Riewoldt addressed the side before they stepped into club history.
Riewoldt also presented a jumper to captain Katie Brennan.
“It was really special to have those guys speak to us,” Jacques said.
“Jack actually made a few of us tear up when he said he had gained 31 new sisters because he refers to his teammates as his brothers.
“We’ve got a great connection with the boys and their program, so it is great to always have their support.
“Hopefully the year can be another successful one for the club.”
While Friday night may have been a dream come true for Jacques, she will never forget where she come from.
“When I used to kick the footy in the backyard, I always dreamt of playing in the AFL,” she said.
“Unfortunately, the pathways for women’s football weren’t always there so I took up netball at Heathcote for nine seasons.
“I played Auskick as a junior and my love for footy never wavered. So, when the opportunity to get involved in footy came up, I couldn’t knock it back.
“Heathcote was a great place to grow up and play sport but this is something on another level.”
As a first-season club Richmond had been given a carte blanche on selection of anyone from anywhere and they chose to make Jacques one of the seven promoted to the club’s senior list after spending 2019 in the Tigers’ VFLW program.
The Tigers take on fellow newcomers the Gold Coast Suns at Metricon Stadium on Saturday afternoon – an opportunity for both sides to get their first win after the Suns went down to the GWS Giants by one-point on Saturday.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back