Tool - FEAR INOCULUM

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
Fair enough. They have said they’re not metal enough for the metal heads or prog enough for the prof fans either. I remember hearing the lateralus album through a handful of times and I thought what the hell is this? After maybe a dozen listens I was about to give up on it but then it sort of clicked and I couldn’t stop listening to it. I still think that’s their best album nothing really sounds like it and it’s a whole album experience. I’m expecting the album as a whole to be an experience and take multiple listens. What’s your fav prog stuff from the 70’s out of interest? Might give a few a listen.

I remember thinking that Lateralus was a disappointment when it got released, I just wanted another Aenima and it was a big change in style.

Took me a long time to appreciate how good it was but Aenima was the same, it took me months or even years to fully appreciate how good they were.

I would now say that Lateralus (the single) is the best song Tool has produced, better than any songs off Aenima but Aenima is still their best album.

Lateralus is a masterpiece and showcases how good Danny Carey is as a drummer.

There is a reason that you never hear of cover bands playing Tool songs, no other drummer can play the sticks like Danny Carey.

My mrs loves king giz. There’s a few pretty good progish bands from oz around. Karnivools sound awake album is brilliant and is one of my fav bands. Dead letter circus. Circles. Cog. Breaking orbit. Dunno if sleepmakeswaves is oz but their a good instrumental and. Blatherskite is an older one. There’s be a fair few other around. I know that the alternative/underground scene has been pretty big in oz for a long time. I grew up in country SA and late 90’s early 00’s everyone was listening to tool Metallica and the grunge scene and a lot of older stuff for the 60’s and 70’s. Still do now.

Cog is the closest band to Tool Australia has produced, great band.

Love this song.

I remember thinking that Lateralus was a disappointment when it got released, I just wanted another Aenima and it was a big change in style.

Took me a long time to appreciate how good it was but Aenima was the same, it took me months or even years to fully appreciate how good they were.

I would now say that Lateralus (the single) is the best song Tool has produced, better than any songs off Aenima but Aenima is still their best album.

Lateralus is a masterpiece and showcases how good Danny Carey is as a drummer.

There is a reason that you never hear of cover bands playing Tool songs, no other drummer can play the sticks like Danny Carey.

Cog is the closest band to Tool Australia has produced, great band.

Love this song.

Kevin Borich’s son Lucius on drums who played with the blues hard rock band Juice before Cog.

Magus

Cancelled
10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks
I’d say it’s more a case of players who can play Tool songs are in their own bands, not doing covers.
Carey is not some untouchable drumming god, fwiw.

13 years for that song....and it’s pretty meh.

It’s tool in all its glory, but it’s not really saying anything new musically.

Magus

Cancelled
10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks
I’d say it’s more a case of players who can play Tool songs are in their own bands, not doing covers.
Carey is not some untouchable drumming god, fwiw.

Yep. There's no doubt that Carey is a good drummer but two guys that played for Primus come to mind as being just as good - Tim Alexander and Jay Lane.

BIRDBRAIN

Premiership Player
Aug 12, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
13 years for that song....and it’s pretty meh.

It’s tool in all its glory, but it’s not really saying anything new musically.

I can't wait to hear it in the context of the album. I'm starting to think this album is going to be something special! Just a hunch.

hellboy1975

All Australian
Sep 25, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yep. There's no doubt that Carey is a good drummer but two guys that played for Primus come to mind as being just as good - Tim Alexander and Jay Lane.
Jay Lane not even in the same league imo. Incredibly underwhelming when I saw Primus play with him. Interesting trivia: Danny played for Primus while Alexander was out with heart issues.

I hear the complaint that Tool haven't really changed things up with this new track. I understand those complaints, however personally wasn't expecting something other than Tool sounding like Tool. I think Fear Inoculum has plenty of unique aspects to it, though doesn't derive far from their formula, but it's not a more revolutionary change like say Reflection or 10,000 Days was. It remains to be seen if we get a moment like this on the new album. While I'd be keen for such a thing, given that Tool are my favorite band it's hard not to be excited about the idea of Tool sounding like Tool.

Badesumofu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 15, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Roger Federer
Saw this just now:

Pretty much me exactly. Only I don't have a clue how to even find acid now.

Badesumofu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 15, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Roger Federer
A few websites have first impressions up now, too. From a listening event a few weeks ago. 7empest sounds insane.

Track names and lengths all up on streaming services now. 6 full songs ranging 10 to 16 minutes each. Chocolate Chip Trip which is basically a Danny solo with a bunch of crazy noises and goes for about 5 minutes. 3 segues (one of which appears to have been added in the last few weeks since the listening event).

BIRDBRAIN

Premiership Player
Aug 12, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
A few websites have first impressions up now, too. From a listening event a few weeks ago. 7empest sounds insane.

Track names and lengths all up on streaming services now. 6 full songs ranging 10 to 16 minutes each. Chocolate Chip Trip which is basically a Danny solo with a bunch of crazy noises and goes for about 5 minutes. 3 segues (one of which appears to have been added in the last few weeks since the listening event).

Also the CD has a shorter running time as it's minus the segues, the download is the real album!

Mar 13, 2015
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
I’m not really into the lead single on this album, but looking forward to hearing the rest. It’s ok, but it’s more me appreciating the musicianship over it actually being a memorable tune. After I hear it I can’t remember how it goes.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
I really like the song
I’m not really into the lead single on this album, but looking forward to hearing the rest. It’s ok, but it’s more me appreciating the musicianship over it actually being a memorable tune. After I hear it I can’t remember how it goes.
Bit of a turnaround.

PAFCsince1870

Premiership Player
Mar 13, 2006
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Orlando Magic
ive been pretty much hammering all albums on spotify since they went live. really looking foward to this though was going to wait for vinyl but with the video thing deciding whether to fork the 150 bucks or not

I'd recommend deciding fast.

Sealed copies will be $200+ on eBay etc as soon as you can't get them anymore, and that looks like happening before release.

Big_Birdy

Premiership Player
Jul 6, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Like the new single more each time I hear it, which I think is a good sign.

The song reminds me a lot of Reflection, which took me a while to really warm to but now love.

Badesumofu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 15, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Roger Federer
It's undoubtedly a track that bares repeated listening. I'm going to try to mostly stop listening to FI, Invincible, and Descending now until the whole album is available. Then I have to decide whether to listen to 7empest first or just listen to the whole thing in order.

Just a matter of waiting now. I hear albums rarely leak until a couple of days before release now. From memory 10k leaked a couple of weeks out.

BIRDBRAIN

Premiership Player
Aug 12, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Glad I haven't listened to the live recordings of Invincible/Descending. Not going to listen to Track 1 again either until leak day/release day. I want to listen to the whole thing as fresh as possible.

Badesumofu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 15, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Roger Federer
Glad I haven't listened to the live recordings of Invincible/Descending. Not going to listen to Track 1 again either until leak day/release day. I want to listen to the whole thing as fresh as possible.

You're in for a treat with Descending and Invincible. And probably the whole album. But I can confirm those two at least are awesome.

Oct 2, 2007
Willy back beach
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton FC Williamstown FC
10000 Days was much better then it gets credit for, it’s just coming after Aenima and Lateralus, so hard to follow.

Lateralus is basically a perfect album for me so 10k was a letdown initially. It grew on me though over the years.

I reckon I've listened to the new track at least 50 times, it's brilliant. It grooves like a mother*er. I haven't been this excited by a new release in a very long time.

Back