2019 Young Talent Time

Watchfromadistance

Senior List
May 27, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
There's a few gems in the late draft for Vic (Lachie Stapleton, Mitch Mellis, Zak Pretty, Angus Hanrahan, Adam Carafa) but I 100% agree. I think come mid season draft next year we'll see more 19 Year Old WA/SA/Allies players being drafted. Some blokes like Regan Clarke, Jai Jackson and Jake Pasini i see all being picked mid season if they miss out this year.
I would be surprised if Pasini is not picked up.

On SM-G930F using BigFooty.com mobile app

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
From a group I've joined that apparently has a decent track record, we are apparently very keen on WA talent this year, particularly Sharp
I like Sharp with a late teens pick but think it is risky with our current first (potential issues with mentality and contested work). Dude can definitely play though.

I like Sharp with a late teens pick but think it is risky with our current first (potential issues with mentality and contested work). Dude can definitely play though.
I'm the same but he could be a very good replacement for Hill.

Would rather we didnt use a top 10 pick on him but like you, comfortable with any teens pick.

The Henry bid makes things difficult, could be a good example of waiting till Henry gets bid on, or doesnt get bid, then trade for a teens pick to get Sharp

Oct 30, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West End Redbacks, Cleveland Browns
Just a random point that will probably amount to nothing, but some of our recruiting team stuck around after an U18 Champs match to watch the Tasmania U25 vs Vic Metro U25 a couple of months back. And one player they were said to be impressed by was Elijah Reardon. He's a 182cm 19 year old, sort of x factor half forward type. Taken a couple of big marks in the TSL. It's only his first season in the TSL, having played lower league football in Tassie last year.

I'm sure we're not going to take him, but it just shows the amount of work they put in. It's not just a case of checking out the weekend stats from the WAFL. Perhaps we should be branching out and scouting for players like Reardon to sign up at Peel. The Adelaide SANFL side had a couple of squad members invited to the combine this year. And after being overlooked in his draft year, Lachlan Murphy moved over to play for Adelaide for a year before they drafted him.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm the same but he could be a very good replacement for Hill.

Would rather we didnt use a top 10 pick on him but like you, comfortable with any teens pick.

The Henry bid makes things difficult, could be a good example of waiting till Henry gets bid on, or doesnt get bid, then trade for a teens pick to get Sharp
I think he is more talented than Hill so no argument there, and he could feasibly play next year too.

It's just the risk is all. If we end up with two top 10s then I don't mind so much.

Sep 18, 2015
The Hippodrome
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Hornets, Mariners, Falcons
Just a random point that will probably amount to nothing, but some of our recruiting team stuck around after an U18 Champs match to watch the Tasmania U25 vs Vic Metro U25 a couple of months back. And one player they were said to be impressed by was Elijah Reardon. He's a 182cm 19 year old, sort of x factor half forward type. Taken a couple of big marks in the TSL. It's only his first season in the TSL, having played lower league football in Tassie last year.

I'm sure we're not going to take him, but it just shows the amount of work they put in. It's not just a case of checking out the weekend stats from the WAFL. Perhaps we should be branching out and scouting for players like Reardon to sign up at Peel. The Adelaide SANFL side had a couple of squad members invited to the combine this year. And after being overlooked in his draft year, Lachlan Murphy moved over to play for Adelaide for a year before they drafted him.

Heard about this kid via a mate of mine, said he was the best on ground in a game he watched of him and had AFL qualities. Will try and get down to one of his games and have a look

Apr 14, 2018
Just up the street
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC
From this mornings rag

Tyrone Will Be Thorn In The Side Of Defenders
JORDAN MCARDLE

At 167cm and 60kg, there’s not much of Tyrone Thorne. But WAFC State talent manager Adam Jones has urged AFL clubs to overlook his size and take a chance on the goalsneak. The Peel livewire has been rewarded for his strong year at WAFL colts and national under-18 s level with a league debut against Swan Districts at Steel Blue Oval today. Jones believes Thorne, who has been likened to Adelaide star Eddie Betts, would be a good fit at Peel’s AFL affiliate Fremantle. “He’s a really smart, crumbing type but also leads up and can take marks,” Jones said. “He’s got some really neat skills and tricks and puts pressure on so he’s got a really good all-round small forward’s game. “If clubs are willing to overlook his height and give him a chance, they can’t do wrong.” Thorne is one of three debutants from WA’s carnivalwinning under-18 s squad, with reliable defender Jake Pasini (Swan Districts) and superboot Ben Johnson (West Perth) also getting their first taste of senior action today. Pasini is joined by fellow firstgamer Jak Watson, the younger brother of Dockers rookie Tobe. The siblings could line up against each other today, with Tobe set to return from a knee injury for Peel. A baptism of fire awaits Johnson against Subiaco at Leederville Oval in forward Michael Lourey’s 100th match. Young gun Jaxon Prior’s season is over after he broke a hand in West Perth’s stunning win over Claremont last Saturday. Claremont welcome back tough midfielder Jared Hardisty , who has been savaged by injuries this year, for the crunch clash with South Fremantle at Fremantle Community Bank Oval, with second spot the reward for the winners.

Oct 30, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chris25 who in your view is the best outside mid in this year's draft pool?

hi Chris, can you also please rank top 5 outside mids of this draft? Thank you

Dylan Stephens is the best for me. He's having a good year in the SANFL and the best pure outside midfielder in the draft. Over the last month he's averaging 20 touches, 8 tackles and 4 clearances a game. That's better than pretty much every midfielder we have at Peel. Otherwise I don't think it's necessarily the best year for top end outside talent. Someone like Lachie Ash could play the role, even if I like him better off half back. I won't include Noah Anderson, since we can't get him. While guys like Caleb Serong, Sam Flanders and Cody Weightman could play on a wing although I wouldn't say it's their best position. I'll go...

1. Dylan Stephens
2. Lachie Ash
3. Liam Henry
4. Miles Bergman
5. Darcy Cassar

Sep 18, 2015
The Hippodrome
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Hornets, Mariners, Falcons
Dylan Stephens is the best for me. He's having a good year in the SANFL and the best pure outside midfielder in the draft. Over the last month he's averaging 20 touches, 8 tackles and 4 clearances a game. That's better than pretty much every midfielder we have at Peel. Otherwise I don't think it's necessarily the best year for top end outside talent. Someone like Lachie Ash could play the role, even if I like him better off half back. I won't include Noah Anderson, since we can't get him. While guys like Caleb Serong, Sam Flanders and Cody Weightman could play on a wing although I wouldn't say it's their best position. I'll go...

1. Dylan Stephens
2. Lachie Ash
3. Liam Henry
4. Miles Bergman
5. Darcy Cassar
What are your thoughts on Shute?

Oct 30, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
What are your thoughts on Shute?

I like Shute, have him around the late second to third round mix. There's not a whole lot that's special to his game, he's just a really hard worker and consistent. He's a good size for a wing, the type who will go unheralded but probably have a decent career. He'd have been next in line on my rankings.

Could have mentioned Jeremy Sharp and Mitch O'Neill in my previous post too. Callum Park has shown some good signs, he's a skinny wing/flanker and we've always loved them.

Sep 29, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Freo, Arsenal, Vikings.
Just watching the Brisbane v Geelong match, that Hipwood impresses. I wonder if Luke Jackson could be moulded into that role Hipwood plays? There’s currently a 4cm height difference, Hipwood’s favour. 202cm v 198cm
I think that is the question a lot of clubs are asking Dale. 🤷‍♂️ Not sure how agile he is but maybe a big midfielder?

Ysaye

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
I think that is the question a lot of clubs are asking Dale. 🤷‍♂️ Not sure how agile he is but maybe a big midfielder?

Seems like Jackson had a less good day out today (17/8) in the colts - more ruck / forward stats:

Players likely to be in this years draft
  • Luke Jackson 16 possessions (7 kicks) 4 marks 31 hitouts, 1 inside 50, 2 goals.
  • Trent Rivers 30 possessions 6 marks 7 tackles 6 inside 50s, 2 goals 2 points.
  • Elijah Taylor 16 possessions 4 marks 2 tackles 3 inside 50s 2 goals 1 point

Freo NGA
  • Brandon Walker 7 possessions 3 tackles 1 inside 50
  • Keanu Haddow 8 possessions 5 marks 4 tackles
  • Joel Western 26 possessions 2 marks 3 tackles 4 inside 50s 1 goal
  • Leno Thomas 19 possessions 1 inside 50
  • Manfred Kelly 19 possessions 3 marks 5 tackles 5 inside 50s 1 behind

Back