Past James Bell - delisted 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

qJOoyoJJ.jpg

James Bell

Player Profile

QBE Sydney Swans Academy product James Bell was rewarded for shining NEAFL form when he was called up for his AFL debut against Port Adelaide at Adelaide Oval in Round 21, 2019. The young Swan is one of Sydney’s quickest players, attacks the footy hard and can play on the inside of the midfield, on a wing or at half-forward. In a tribute to his family, Bell celebrated his first AFL goal with a striking Indigenous dance at the MCG in Round 22 last year.

James Bell

DOB:10 February 1999
DRAFT:2017
RECRUITED FROM: University of NSW-Eastern Suburbs (NSW)

Last edited:

He deserves to play again this weekend.. The whole team was terrible, hard game to make your debut

It would be nice for Bell to play midfield. That is where his form was in the 2s.

Lets move JPK forward and ask him to adapt. Play Bell and others in the mids.

In fairness Bell was on the wing quite a lot which realistically is going to be his ideal position. The problem is in the second half the midfield just completely capitulated. It felt like none of our mids besides Kennedy and Florent got more than about 7 touches for the whole half, so doubtful guys like Bell were going to.

He's indigenous and proud of it - bloody marvellous!
Seems very popular with his team mates also.

Happened down our end. The crowd loved it.

I don't think he'll make it as an outside player. Not quick enough or precise enough by foot. Maybe as a defender if he has good application and focus.

I don't think he'll make it as an outside player. Not quick enough or precise enough by foot. Maybe as a defender if he has good application and focus.
hard to say after only two games.. He has the determination to go a long way and doesn't stop running (gps numbers were huge)

hard to say after only two games.. He has the determination to go a long way and doesn't stop running (gps numbers were huge)

Yep, he has all that ticked off and would love to see him take over nsmiths role

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, he might look like Jetta on the field but plays nothing like him. Not that quick, but surprisingly big bodied, at best in close. Inside mid/defender is the way to go I reckon.

Agreed, he doesn't have the electric pace or powerful/precise kicking to be an effective wingman imo. His strengths are his poise in tight situations - he has really quick and nice hands and he seems pretty happy around contact. Those could help as an inside player or, where I'd like to see him played next year, as a small defender. Give him the task to learn how to play on really good small forwards.

Give him Luke Brown, Neville Jetta, and of course Nick Smith as guys to watch and learn from.

Agreed, he doesn't have the pace or powerful/precise kicking to be an effective wingman imo. His strengths are his poise in tight situations - he has really quick and nice hands which could help as an inside player or, where I'd like to see him played next year, as a small defender. Give him the task to learn how to play on really good small forwards.

Give him Luke Brown, Neville Jetta, and of course Nick Smith as guys to watch and learn from.
What about an inside/outside mid that drifts forward

Be lucky to get a contract

What makes you say that? 2nd year player, given a chance through the guts in the ressies and starts to dominate, breaks into the firsts late in the season. Hasn’t exactly set the world on fire in the firsts but is clearly on an upward trajectory. Hardly a sure thing, but it would be silly not to give him another year.

What makes you say that? 2nd year player, given a chance through the guts in the ressies and starts to dominate, breaks into the firsts late in the season. Hasn’t exactly set the world on fire in the firsts but is clearly on an upward trajectory. Hardly a sure thing, but it would be silly not to give him another year.

I have to say I’m with Punts on this one. I don’t like writing off the kids and I also don’t think there’s anything wrong with not having an immediate impact in your first few senior games. But usually there are small, tiny glimpses of what a player can do, even if they’re young and raw and only getting several touches. I’ve just not seen any of that in Bell (thus far). He had a few good games in the NEAFL to earn his debut but it feels like some on here are looking for positive attributes of Bell’s as a player that may not be there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back