Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion vs. Essendon (R23, Fri 23/08 7:50pm MCG)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 8, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Well, this is it. After this evening's win against Adelaide, we need to beat Essendon to remain in the hunt for top 4. It's worth remembering that we actually had to beat Fremantle in Perth in the last round last year to finish top 4, which actually went right down to the wire! Obviously we still need Richmond to lose tomorrow against WCE and/or next week against Brisbane.

With no VFL this weekend it's hard to pick anyone on form that missed out on the Adelaide game. That said, you'd hope the following will be in contention, pending injury updates: Jordan DeGoey, Darcy Moore & Tyler Brown.

On form you could mount a case for T Brown but I can't see him debuting this late a fortnight out before finals, unless we can foresee a Jack Graham/Jaryd Blair type scenario on the horizon. Gut feel based on training reports (thanks Jen, Apples and others!) is that Moore will play and DeGoey will be out for another game.

Madgen wasn't too bad today but you'd have to say he's the first out in our backline.

Thus, selection as follows:

IN: Moore
OUT: Madgen

Roughead back. Moore forward.

A lot of pressure on spots this week with DeGoey and Stephenson hopefully both coming back for the first final. A good problem to have. I think Wills keeps his spot until DeGoey kicks him out. The other one under the most pressure with Stephenson coming back would have to be Josh Thomas, whom wasn't too bad today.

Last edited by a moderator:
Normally I'd say no change after a team performance like today, but if any of DeGoey, Moore or Aish are fit and available getting a game into them before finals will be invaluable. Sier can come back via the VFL, no way he replaces Wills after the last few weeks.

DerekZoolander

Cancelled
Nov 11, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Still ended up with 23 touches. The boy can find the footy. Will improve his composure with experience.
His first 6 touches were turnovers but I do think he has something to offer though. Another year in the system hopefully he will get that composure.

Scritchyscroony

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Newcastle United FC
Happy to role with one change next week so JDG, Moore and of course the return of Stevo, all 100% first week of finals

In Wells (good game to run in some form)
Out Wills

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Wills has made a real difference to our midfield. We were badly lacking in close grunt and we need more than just Adams in that role. Stays for mine.
Degoey and Moore for Magden and Noble. Whe for Aish maybe.

Like to see Moore back this week, inplace of madgen.
Nothing wrong with Madgen in my view, just Moore is a better player.

anshell

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 10, 2008
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
manchester united
I would like to see Moore and possibly DeGoey come back for this match.You wouldn’t want to play the first finals match with three seriously under done players coming into the team.

Soups

Premium Platinum
Jul 16, 2006
AFL Club
Collingwood
Mayne is a work horse but he is a major momentum killer. Never takes that kick which opens the field up (because he can’t kick) Agree with Dave’s ins and outs.
His positives outweigh the negatives by loads. No way he’s going to get dropped and nor should he.

Sea fog

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 24, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Magden was only okay because Tex was... Tex. There's no way I want him playing on Hawkins, Cameron, Lynch come finals time.

Out: Magden
In: Moore

Moore to play down back. Roughead to continue up front. Can switch at any point if need be.
Well Dunstall and co. pointed out that our backline without Roughie down there could struggle against what West Coast and others will put up against us in the finals. The Crows were nothing but a group of witches hats today so it was great that we took full advantage of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back