Pets Why is killing an animal for meat considered acceptable but killing a pet is not?

Remove this Banner Ad

Merv Neagle could take out a pet as easily as downing a sunday roast, so I hear.

Killing an animal (such as a pig or a lamb) for food is considered socially / culturally acceptable whereas killing a pet (“a domestic or tamed animal kept for companionship or pleasure.”) would be seen as inhumane.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
A pig or lamb could be a pet. Who are you to decide what animal is a pet and what isn't?

It's amusing to me that vegans get accused of being irrational or emotional, when it's always the meat eaters who bring up nothing but emotional arguments for questions such as the one in the OP. It is the height of hypocrisy that we can slaughter so-called food animals en masse, but I am not legally allowed to raise cats and dogs for slaughter and sell their meat.

It's amusing to me that vegans get accused of being irrational or emotional, when it's always the meat eaters who bring up nothing but emotional arguments for questions such as the one in the OP. It is the height of hypocrisy that we can slaughter so-called food animals en masse, but I am not legally allowed to raise cats and dogs for slaughter and sell their meat.
So you're saying the meat eaters make the laws?

There's nothing wrong with killing animals for food because it's something we've always done since humans were invented and even before that. If humans stopped killing animals for food it wouldn't put any sized dent in the number of animals killed for food by other animals. As much as some don't want to believe it humans aren't more important than other animals, except some might say the propagation of its species is an animal's number one duty.

Having said that, I'd put the lives of my dogs before that of most other animals because I have an emotional attachment to them and they've helped me through some tough times with their genuine love and loyalty. Next question is 'What is love"...

So you're saying the meat eaters make the laws?

There's nothing wrong with killing animals for food because it's something we've always done since humans were invented and even before that. If humans stopped killing animals for food it wouldn't put any sized dent in the number of animals killed for food by other animals.
Of course meat eaters make the laws. The industry has immense power politically, otherwise we wouldn't be witnessing the ridiculous process of feeding animals a huge amount of food and water to produce a much smaller amount of meat, while creating a massive amount of effluent that often isn't dealt with, as well as creating major methane emissions.

The amount of animals raised and killed for human consumption is huge. It's estimated that 50 billion chickens are killed every year, 9 billion in the U.S. so 137 million every day. This figure doesn't include the culling of unproductive egg laying hens or the one day old male chicks that only get that one day.

If humans stopped killing animals for food, some wild species may escape extinction and others could eventually return to respectable numbers when their natural habitat is no longer used for growing the extraordinary quantity of food it takes to feed livestock. The oceans are being trawled to potential ruin, with bycatch, a term used for fish species that are unwanted buy die in the nets anyway, measuring five to every one fish that ends up at market.

The World Wildlife Fund Living Planet report in 2018 stated there'd been a 60% decline in the populations of mammals, birds, fish, reptiles and amphibians in just over 40 years. The top threats identified were human activities, including habitat loss and degradation, overfishing and overhunting. Forests, oceans and rivers remain in decline and the full impact of climate change is yet to be felt.

Humans didn't actually consume anywhere near as much meat as they do now. Hunting was dangerous and domestic animals helped produce storable food like cheese and eggs, as well as an emergency food supply if all else failed. Many animals scavenged for their own food then, rather than today's practice of growing crops purely to feed animals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Zero?
I think you are greatly underestimating how many homesteaders there are out there raising their own meat animals. even my suburban friends kill and eat their egg laying chickens.
Yes the average city dweller can be uncomfortable with the idea of killing an animal and then eating it but you would be surprised at how quickly people become accustomed to the process once the initial shock is experienced.
What I hear most often is how easy and familiar the whole process becomes and often people tend to associate guilt with this. But with a little time the social conditioning of being removed from the "unpleasantness" wears off, even for my ex vegetarian wife who will now shoot and cook the occasional rabbit.

Of course meat eaters make the laws. The industry has immense power politically, otherwise we wouldn't be witnessing the ridiculous process of feeding animals a huge amount of food and water to produce a much smaller amount of meat, while creating a massive amount of effluent that often isn't dealt with, as well as creating major methane emissions.

The amount of animals raised and killed for human consumption is huge. It's estimated that 50 billion chickens are killed every year, 9 billion in the U.S. so 137 million every day. This figure doesn't include the culling of unproductive egg laying hens or the one day old male chicks that only get that one day.

If humans stopped killing animals for food, some wild species may escape extinction and others could eventually return to respectable numbers when their natural habitat is no longer used for growing the extraordinary quantity of food it takes to feed livestock. The oceans are being trawled to potential ruin, with bycatch, a term used for fish species that are unwanted buy die in the nets anyway, measuring five to every one fish that ends up at market.

The World Wildlife Fund Living Planet report in 2018 stated there'd been a 60% decline in the populations of mammals, birds, fish, reptiles and amphibians in just over 40 years. The top threats identified were human activities, including habitat loss and degradation, overfishing and overhunting. Forests, oceans and rivers remain in decline and the full impact of climate change is yet to be felt.

Humans didn't actually consume anywhere near as much meat as they do now. Hunting was dangerous and domestic animals helped produce storable food like cheese and eggs, as well as an emergency food supply if all else failed. Many animals scavenged for their own food then, rather than today's practice of growing crops purely to feed animals.
So no vegans help make the laws?

And we live in a democracy, right?

Democracy (Greek: δημοκρατία dēmokratía, literally "rule by people") is a form of government in which the people have the authority to choose their governing legislation. Who people are and how authority is shared among them are core issues for democratic development and constitution. Some cornerstones of these issues are freedom of assembly and speech, inclusiveness and equality, membership, consent, voting, right to life and minority rights.

Generally, there are two types of democracy: direct and representative. In a direct democracy, the people directly deliberate and decide on legislature. In a representative democracy the people elect representatives to deliberate and decide on legislature, such as in parliamentary or presidential democracy. Liquid democracy combines elements of these two basic types.

The most common decision making approach of democracies has been the majority rule.[1][2] Others are supermajority and consensus. ...

Killing an animal (pet, farm animal, sport shooting, etc) is wrong because you are simply killing for the fun of it, because we have socially evolved to dislike the killing/torturing something for no good reason. There is also ample proof that killing of animals for fun increases the chance that a person will eventually kill a human.
When is there any good reason to torture something?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back