Review Round 22 2019 vs North - the great humiliation

Remove this Banner Ad

Typical Hinkley press conference. Always talks in terms of what the opposition do and never addresses the issues that exist in the Port side. According to Ken we failed to cement a position in the eight because of the inconsistencies of North Melbourne and Essendon rather than our own failures. Issues such as our lack of mental toughness over the years never got a mention.

We all know what happened out there but we want to know why and what you are going to do to fix it Ken. How about addressing the abject failure of your decision to appoint Co Captains. Two Captains were supposed to give us greater just about everything. They both played last night and we were flogged which as I understood it wasn't going to happen.
The appointment of co-captains, just like the rediculous "give 'em anything they want so long as we get all the kiddies in the one place all the time", was done to make things "easier"; nothing to do with making things "better" but all to do with making things easy - in other words, to take the pressure off the players and relieve them of as much responsibility as possible so if things go wrong or get really, really hard, they have a safe sanctuary to hide in.

This is why we are disintegrating as a club. No-one makes hard decisions anymore; not in the board room, not in the non-tolerance of mistakes by players, not at the selection table and this non-action is reflected by the way we are playing.

There was a time when we as supporters did not dare question what the club and the coach did because they knew exactly what was right and what was wrong and in keeping with the Port Adelaide way where nothing but the absolute best was acceptable, where regardless of what the spivs and pretentious gits where doing elsewhere, it had no influence on what we knew was the proper way of doing things. That's what tradition and culture means - retaining the things that made us great and not falling for the short sighted, cutting corners crap that others may think is clever.

It is now the case that the club has turned it's back on the basic fundamentals that made us strong and accepts pie-in-the-sky "new age" type mythology and ridicules those of us, the vast majority of us, who know what the club is doing is just plain wrong.

From what I saw it was a really tough pitch. Paine could have gone for more but I thought his aggression and creativity swung the momentum back and if smith hadn't copped that ball on the arm we likely would have gone in to the second 50 runs up. Credit to the boys.

Really just need to skittle the remaining poms for 50-70 and run it down in two sessions now. Oh and have it not rain

Spot on although you left out one key ingredient to the dog's breakfast that Port Adelaide has become; this is the path we have been put on by the hierarchy who have trashed our traditions and our culture and the players are reflecting just how wishy washy and lightweight they are are.
Yeah this true.
It’s bloody depressing northalives.

I’d suggest North worked out how to open our lock it in the forward half playbook and in turn opened us easier than a can of baked beans!

Season over regardless, maybe 2020 we won’t be inconsistent but I highly doubt it if we persist with the same seniors

Destiny was in our hands again and this is what was served up. There isn't anything more softer than this. Instead of inflicting more pain on North we turned around and bent over and invited them to abuse us so they can feel better. They looked like mentally unfocussed disorganised schoolyard boys expecting to be reamed because North kicked their lowest score the week before. Ken being a motivator is an absolute myth.

This is what I don't understand.

I got to the TV about 2 minutes after the start of the game. I started watching, and it took me around 20 seconds to realise this was stuffed - and going to be a 100 point loss (or thereabouts).

How can a team be so badly mentally prepared, that the outcome is obvious in that space of time?! What are team doing in the lead up to the game?!

Did anyone else get this feeling? What exactly was it that I was picking up on?

Ollie saying "it's hard to win in this league" is proof that Ken Hinkley's defeatist attitude rubs off on the players. Ken Hinkley is a cancer to this football club and needs to be eradicated.
Ollie ‘it’s hard to win in this league’

Translation ‘it’s easy to lose’

Hinkleyism

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't mean to intrude guys, but some of the things being said in here are eerily reminiscent of things North people were saying during the Scott years.

Knowing the outcome of the match after watching for a minute? Check.

Wild inconsistency in effort? Check.

Bizarre deflections away from deficiencies? Check.

No plan B? Check.

You have a good side and plenty of young talent. You generally like the rough stuff. You'll come good. But not with this bloke at the helm.

Exactly. Don't over react to what was a one-off event, I mean, at least it hasn't happened since we played GWS and went goalless in the first term, or the 2nd Brisbane game where we were down by 7 goals halfway through the first, hell what about the 1st time we played them and we're down 4 goals to 0 in no time, or the when the game was on the line against Freo and we went scoreless in the last, or the Hawthorn game where we were 5 goals down before we even scored, or the1st showdown when we went goalless in the first, or the Collingwood game where we gave up a 7 goals to zip in the first.

But hey, yep let's not panic, it's a one off, we're still in the running for finals so let's just go out there and just play and we'll be better than this week because it was a one off and we won't do it again...

fu** me Hinkley is an idiot. Get the fu** out of my club Hinkley.

#sackhinkley
It happens every time we have a big game

I knew we would s**t the bed over the last 2 rounds, I knew once the pressure was on the same clowns would s**t the bed. I expected us to lose but not like this, not to make us a laughing stock again.

We’ve been doing it for years, but we keep getting sucked in

Im not go8ng next week, in protest over this coach. I hope they get 5000 there

I thought Clurey was okay. There was very little he could have done to stop brown. The ball was coming down in a procession and none of the other defenders helped or filled space. Hartlett was beyond woeful. Broady is cooked and can't get into a jog. Jonas is a plodder whose imagination is shown with his sterile kick ins. Hoff was okay but Dougal would provide more run. Dbj had a mare. Burton was okay. Bonner should never play again. Ladhams was pantsed. Wines is vanilla. Houston should be a general down back.

This is what I don't understand.

I got to the TV about 2 minutes after the start of the game. I started watching, and it took me around 20 seconds to realise this was stuffed - and going to be a 100 point loss (or thereabouts).

How can a team be so badly mentally prepared, that the outcome is obvious in that space of time?! What are team doing in the lead up to the game?!

Did anyone else get this feeling? What exactly was it that I was picking up on?
I posted somewhere else that the ease of the first centre clearance followed by a pathetic, soft effort by Hartlett on the outer side boundary told me all I needed to know in the first 20s.

I would love to know what DBJ’s story was last night. We’ve had some shockingly inept individual performances in the past year (Hombsch vs Jenkins 2018, Hombsch vs Mitch Brown 2018, Howard vs Hipwood 2019, Jonas vs Lynch 2019), but Byrne-Jones produced the worst of the lot after being in exceptional form over the previous month. He looked like he was a witch’s hat that could not only stand still but handball to the opposition.

The other player I feel very strongly against is Rockliff. We are going into games a man down in the stoppages. Not only is his painfully slow, but his lack of strength, intensity and poor positioning at stoppages are costing us enormously. Coupled with Motlop, his recruitment has been a disaster. He has failed to live up to his pay check and has blocked us developing Atley and Drew. He’s not even 30, and he’s well past finished.

This club does my head in.
Yep and it's my fault that I care. I'm gunna have to do something about it and not invest so much emotional energy in footyball.
Didn't see last night coming just sat there in shock. Wife says "your not saying much" and I said "not much to say".

If the Bulldogs today and look like winning next week,
The season will dusted before the first bounce.

Hawthorn wins today and they are on the same wins as us, let that sink in,
and they are handing out farewell games!

We are a national joke.

Yep and it's my fault that I care. I'm gunna have to do something about it and not invest so much emotional energy in footyball.
Didn't see last night coming just sat there in shock. Wife says "your not saying much" and I said "not much to say".
Yep. I watched in silence. My wife and kids assumed we were winning because I didn’t say “boo” during the game. This coach and players have deprived me of enjoying my favourite lifetime pastime.

This is 119ish
How do we beat this embarrassment next week?
Maybe don’t score a single goal?

No one go. I wont be and I encourage any other member not to either. Fsn lead showing of discontent is the only way to get some change.

* i hate Ollie wines and Tom Jonas.

And Hinkley. w***errs the lot of em.

Hinkley press conference as shown on 7

Performance so far from what we've been

Don't overreact

Everything went wrong that could

North better at every part.of the game

We are way better than that

Turn around and bounce back

Inconsistent when poor around the contest

Keep working hard

Be clear on the detail and be better