Review Round 22 2019 vs North - the great humiliation

Remove this Banner Ad

This is what I don't understand.

I got to the TV about 2 minutes after the start of the game. I started watching, and it took me around 20 seconds to realise this was stuffed - and going to be a 100 point loss (or thereabouts).

How can a team be so badly mentally prepared, that the outcome is obvious in that space of time?! What are team doing in the lead up to the game?!

Did anyone else get this feeling? What exactly was it that I was picking up on?
Everyone has that feeling.
Melancholy seeps through the TV, and straight at you.
It's based upon a weird counterbalance of past experience (dreadful) and glorious anticipation that things may be different.
The latter quickly dissipates and the scales tip when you see Dixon run under the ball, you see flimsy tackling attempts brushed aside and you see basic skill errors enacted as if they were part of the teaching program at the club. It takes but a few minutes to register.
You see all that, and then the TV pans to the troubling image of Hinkley sitting expressionless in the booth. The link between coach and performance becomes finely focussed at that point - when abject performance images on field are butted up against images of a torpid Hinkley.

It's continuous rewind with no inkling (Hinkling?) of change, that really is troublesome.

I remember early in the first boak streaming out of defence and missed a simple 30m pass by 5m and it went straight back over our heads for a goal. Summed up our season. We make the easy look so bloody difficult

Why are our senior players skills so s**t.

I posted somewhere else that the ease of the first centre clearance followed by a pathetic, soft effort by Hartlett on the outer side boundary told me all I needed to know in the first 20s.

I would love to know what DBJ’s story was last night. We’ve had some shockingly inept individual performances in the past year (Hombsch vs Jenkins 2018, Hombsch vs Mitch Brown 2018, Howard vs Hipwood 2019, Jonas vs Lynch 2019), but Byrne-Jones produced the worst of the lot after being in exceptional form over the previous month. He looked like he was a witch’s hat that could not only stand still but handball to the opposition.

The other player I feel very strongly against is Rockliff. We are going into games a man down in the stoppages. Not only is his painfully slow, but his lack of strength, intensity and poor positioning at stoppages are costing us enormously. Coupled with Motlop, his recruitment has been a disaster. He has failed to live up to his pay check and has blocked us developing Atley and Drew. He’s not even 30, and he’s well past finished.

Your first sentence is absolutely on the money, that pathetic effort by Hartlett on the boundary just after the first centre clearance, where he gave up possession to the north player without so much as a whimper set the tone for what was to come, and we have seen it all before where it is clear as a bell the players haven't come to play and the final result is a foregone conclusion, which has to come down to the coach and his inability to prepare them.

I guess the North fans are possibly hurting today too. They must be wondering where this team has been hiding when they had a season to play for.

Don't feel too bad North fans, Port are actually just making it look easier than it really is.

Imagine the Kangaroos being able to put that much passion into a game where they didn't even have a finals spot on the line. Wow.

Turned off tv before quarter time.
Writing on the wall then, just a matter of the margin.
have had the life force sucked out of me by these cretins purporting to be the PAFC.
Now it's hard to even get angry. I just walk away and can't take the demoralisation any more.
Found out the margin this morning - better than I expected. Was thinking 20 minutes in that it could be 119 (or worse).
Who cares?
Why give a *** anymore?
when does tennis start?

This is not a personnel issue. But the decisions we make that put us at an automatic disadvantage are nothing short of incredible. This is the perfect storm of the entire group being in the wrong mindset (I wonder why?) and a disgusting lack of preparation and planning. Our best ruckman in the SANFL? The corpse of Todd Goldstein has probably the best game of his entire career. Tom Jonas pre game “it’s important to stop Ben Brown”. The ineptness still somehow manages to surprise us which is mind blowing considering how low we have already gone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess the North fans are possibly hurting today too. They must be wondering where this team has been hiding when they had a season to play for.

Don't feel too bad North fans, Port are actually just making it look easier than it really is.

Imagine the Kangaroos being able to put that much passion into a game where they didn't even have a finals spot on the line. Wow.

Melbourne will probably come out and flog North in Tassie next week just to highlight how woefully bad we are.

Polec and Pittard 60 between them. Amazing what an attacking mindset and a bit of confidence can do.

We made Jasper look like Robbie Flower.

I'll always have a soft spot for Jasper so let him have his moment.

Out of disgust I've not watched Ken's presser or any after match content.

Did one of our (need 2 to be successful) captains really say that?

FMD
No.

I posted somewhere else that the ease of the first centre clearance followed by a pathetic, soft effort by Hartlett on the outer side boundary told me all I needed to know in the first 20s.

I would love to know what DBJ’s story was last night. We’ve had some shockingly inept individual performances in the past year (Hombsch vs Jenkins 2018, Hombsch vs Mitch Brown 2018, Howard vs Hipwood 2019, Jonas vs Lynch 2019), but Byrne-Jones produced the worst of the lot after being in exceptional form over the previous month. He looked like he was a witch’s hat that could not only stand still but handball to the opposition.

The other player I feel very strongly against is Rockliff. We are going into games a man down in the stoppages. Not only is his painfully slow, but his lack of strength, intensity and poor positioning at stoppages are costing us enormously. Coupled with Motlop, his recruitment has been a disaster. He has failed to live up to his pay check and has blocked us developing Atley and Drew. He’s not even 30, and he’s well past finished.
The Rockliff signing is looking worse by the day now.
Like you said it’s the fact he’s blocking the development of Atley and drew that really hurts.

Typical Hinkley press conference. Always talks in terms of what the opposition do and never addresses the issues that exist in the Port side. According to Ken we failed to cement a position in the eight because of the inconsistencies of North Melbourne and Essendon rather than our own failures. Issues such as our lack of mental toughness over the years never got a mention.

We all know what happened out there but we want to know why and what you are going to do to fix it Ken. How about addressing the abject failure of your decision to appoint Co Captains. Two Captains were supposed to give us greater just about everything. They both played last night and we were flogged which as I understood it wasn't going to happen.
I accept your comment and as a team we'll accept that. WE'VE got to take ownership, the club blah blah "

The gug is one of those delusional people you know who got into multi level Marketing and has a shed full of oils, noni juice and cleaning products and never held a real job. His wife puts up with him because she has no choice and he just keeps promising everybody with next year will be the breakthrough year.

He's an absolute loser. He lost the unloseable in the last few minutes against West Coast final. he lost from 11 and 4 and he lost from where we were before the bounce last night

Even if we fell over into the finals he would find a new way for the players to humiliate the club again.

That he is still there tells you how embarrassingly pathetic and amateur Keith and Koch must also be.

Calling him a snake oil salesman is a compliment. He's a career failure with a storage shed full of crates of rancid 5 year old noni juice bottles

Last edited:
2 minutes then I started watching bring it on with the missis...

Port hinkley kill my passion I still regularly sit down and watch the 04 final against Geelong when pickett dominates or the pre lim when burgoyne stopped Guerra and wangas gf dominance * we were lucky...

Now we have little soy boy hartlett smiling like a gummy shark when his shirt is torn...

* this team

The lack of leadership again was infuriating.

Only 3 players stood up in that first quarter - Amon, Houston, Boak.

Wines 2 touches to 1/4 time whilst their entire starting midfield all have 10 each. Rockliff nowhere. Westhoff getting thrashed by Nick Larkey. Jonas falling over. Dixon nowhere. Burton nowhere.

DBJ with the most confusing performance i think ive ever seen. When i saw he had 1 handball to 3/4 time i figured he got injured 5 minutes in. Then i saw he was 85% game time. What the *. How is that level of incompetence possible?

The fact this happens every 3 weeks like clockwork does my head in. I cant explain it, or why the board has put up with it for so long. 7th game this year by my count that its been all over at 1/4 time. How is that acceptable

They are insulated from negative feedback and believe they are adored regardless of performance is my take. Anyone negative is just a trouble maker!

Yep and it's my fault that I care. I'm gunna have to do something about it and not invest so much emotional energy in footyball.
Didn't see last night coming just sat there in shock. Wife says "your not saying much" and I said "not much to say".
That's a pretty good outcome I ended up on the couch and I didn't even watch the game
Do we have our spiritual guidance from Amanda yet?
"As I sit here in the Qantas chairman's lounge sipping on some beaujolais as i embark on a club funded overseas trip to Whistler, I tweet my support for a big game next week. You can do it boys make us proud. Often should show their true colours and get down to the ground and make some NTUA noise"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back