List Mgmt. 2019 List Management: Contracts, Trading, Drafting, Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big Tom Nicholls from the Suns is out of contract and will definitely be looking for ruck opportunities. Would cost very little in a trade or possibly may even be available as a DFA.
One of the more interesting options, even if I can't get the image of him getting beaten in the ruck by Josh Walker out of my mind after Stef Martin got knocked out back in '16.

Andre.. this resonates the same sort of vibe on our board ... apparently he made himself out as very unattractive to most clubs appart from Collingwood ..make of that what you want... We took Thurlow before him.. and all these years later it still grates.. as most on the board wanted him pre draft.. Going forward .. I have seen GWS linked to Ryder and today I read them linked to Sauce ... any preference which you will go ? I think Id just like us to draft someone for a chance instead of the perpetual recycles that we seem to go for...

Anyway.. what do you think Green will cost..how do you see the draft going for you guys ?

Yeah I think the Grundy interview thing has been overblown, apparently he put some off by asking questions etc but at the end of the day he was a top 3 talent and we had 5 bloody picks, even if it ended a bust we had the collateral...it was so stupid not taking him.

I could see Jacobs being the one if he clears a medical, he is a very effective tap ruckman which is something we need. I could see Adelaide trading their first pick and him for our two picks. This would get us to 3 or 4 giving less chance of a bid for Green before our first selection. If Cogs goes the compo will be a pick after our first pick making the importance of getting up early even more pressing (correct me if I’m wrong on that).

Green looks a top 5 pick but could get bid on higher as our academy guys always seem to get bid on a little early.

Yeah I think the Grundy interview thing has been overblown, apparently he put some off by asking questions etc but at the end of the day he was a top 3 talent and we had 5 bloody picks, even if it ended a bust we had the collateral...it was so stupid not taking him.

I could see Jacobs being the one if he clears a medical, he is a very effective tap ruckman which is something we need. I could see Adelaide trading their first pick and him for our two picks. This would get us to 3 or 4 giving less chance of a bid for Green before our first selection. If Cogs goes the compo will be a pick after our first pick making the importance of getting up early even more pressing (correct me if I’m wrong on that).

Green looks a top 5 pick but could get bid on higher as our academy guys always seem to get bid on a little early.

Jacobs is a free agent so you dont need to trade for him. Broadly i agree with your strategy although i think it might take more than 12 +13 to get 3 off Adelaide but if you can do it.

The risk with Green is that we trade up and he gets bid on the pick before anyway, blowing our whole strategy. But I think we'll likely try. Sydney will almost certainly IMHO bid on Green, so getting Adelaide's pick is required to be ahead of them - unless Carlton go ahead of Sydney on the ladder. But Adelaide may sell at a premium, which hurts us. Losing Cogs would hurt even more though! This trade period is not shaping up as fun for us.

Lids' retirement is not a surprise as I was already factoring it in. Dawson's was though; especially as I was factoring in Mummy retiring (although he might want to go around again, he looks cooked). I'm not too keen on Jacobs as he looks past it, but maybe a trade will squeeze another year (or 2) from him while Flynn recovers and he and Briggs develop. If both Mummy & Dawson retire, though, you'd think with Flynn out we'd need another ruck as cover. So perhaps someone like Ceglar (in a Patton trade) or Nicholls (as a DFA) may be options. Not a great fan of either, but would prefer Ceglar from what I've seen - and the report today has him contemplating Brisbane (really don't know why with Martin, McInerny & Smith in the line there; he'd be much better trying to get to us).

Our ruck situation is simple.

We need someone to takeover for Mummy and Simpson until Flynn and Briggs are ready.

So 2 possibly 3 more years.

I do not want Ryder, we do not have a good record of bringing in players who have a rotten history with injury.

I'm a fan of getting Ceglar if we can through the supposed Patton trade. Def think he can do the job until Flynn is ready.
Wouldn't Jacobs be a better option if we assumed the cost was the same?

Our ruck situation is simple.

We need someone to takeover for Mummy and Simpson until Flynn and Briggs are ready.

So 2 possibly 3 more years.

I do not want Ryder, we do not have a good record of bringing in players who have a rotten history with injury.

I'm a fan of getting Ceglar if we can through the supposed Patton trade. Def think he can do the job until Flynn is ready.
Ceglar for mine also

Archie Smith hasn't done a lot, opportunity may be to blame, same with Nicholls.

Jacobs, Ryder old enough to raise reliability queries.

Big Tom Nicholls from the Suns is out of contract and will definitely be looking for ruck opportunities. Would cost very little in a trade or possibly may even be available as a DFA.

I cant see the Suns letting him go with no other recognised ruck depth and he should be loyal with what they have paid him over the journey

My preference would be Ceglar on a 3 year contract with triggers for the 3rd year and by then both Flynn and Briggs will be capable at AFL level
Jacobs 2nd for 2 years and Ryder 3rd but it all comes down to the recruiters, SC space, the club willing to let the player go and most important if the player is willing to relocate for 2-3 years

I cant see the Suns letting him go with no other recognised ruck depth and he should be loyal with what they have paid him over the journey

My preference would be Ceglar on a 3 year contract with triggers for the 3rd year and by then both Flynn and Briggs will be capable at AFL level
Jacobs 2nd for 2 years and Ryder 3rd but it all comes down to the recruiters, SC space, the club willing to let the player go and most important if the player is willing to relocate for 2-3 years

What they have paid him is what they believed he was worth.
Why does that buy loyalty?

Tom's not getting a game in the firsts currently, when motivated, he's very capable.

I expect he's on the radar.

Callum Sinclair...worth talking to?

What they have paid him is what they believed he was worth.
Why does that buy loyalty?

Tom's not getting a game in the firsts currently, when motivated, he's very capable.

I expect he's on the radar.

Callum Sinclair...worth talking to?

I dont think the Swans would let Sinclair do but they are probably happy to move on Cameron or Knoll.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our club’s strategy on the ruck position has been absolutely flawed from day one.

How we didn’t take Brody Grundy with 5 picks before his selection will go down as one of the greatest recruiting blunders in the history of the draft.

So now let’s find a couple more patched up rejects that can fall apart just before finals...not like it’s an important role to feed the mids. I mean FFS.
Didn’t Grundy interview poorly? Weren’t we worried he was indicating he wouldn’t stay?

Haynes Davis Williams
Cumming Taylor Corr
Whitfield Ward Kelly
Greene Cameron Daniels
Hill HH Finlayson
?????? Hopper Taranto
Caldwell Hately DeBoer Kennedy/Perryman

I really hope we don’t go after just Ryder or Jacobs. Especially Jacobs... he is sooo slow and past it.

Ratugolea looks good to me - athletic ruck who can actually leap. Can take a grab and kick goals. Paired with Briggs, could be a potent ruck/forward combination in the future. Gives us a fix both in the short and longer term. Unfortunately contracted to 2021, but with an abundance of rucks at Geelong (Stanley, Smith, Abbott, Fort, Blicavs), would love us to have a crack.

Didn’t Grundy interview poorly? Weren’t we worried he was indicating he wouldn’t stay?

He was different. Not like Wingard who blatantly said he would be back home in 2 years just a bit weird, asked a lot of questions and was a bit flat in some discussions. Point is, we needed a ruckman, he was rated a top 3 talent and we had 5 picks before he got called. It is a disgrace he was not selected, regardless of what would happen after.

Update on the OOC players

Main list:
Coniglio PLEASE RE-SIGN PLEASE RE-SIGN PLEASE RE-SIGN PLEASE RE-SIGN PLEASE RE-SIGN PLEASE RE-SIGN PLEASE RE-SIGN
Sheridan Keep for depth
Tomlinson Let him go as a FA for end of 1st, 2nd rd compo
Buntine Not sure if any club would pick him up so he may stay around on the rookie list on a cheap contract
Shaw Keep deserves another year
Keefe Keep same as Shaw

Rookie:
Sproule Keep
Mumford Retire
Stein Keep
D Buckley Delist
J Buckley Delist State league player at best

IMO I think Tomlinson leaves for a big contract, and then Bonar and Patton are traded and with the 2 retirements already announced that would be 9 names off the list
I can see a bid on Green coming from the Swans who currently hold pick 4 (Maybe 5 with a PP) so that will eat up a lot of points so it could be a matter that the clubs needs to use up some 2020 picks to get the picks the club needs for the players they are interested in

Last edited:
Update on the OOC players

Main list:
Coniglio PLEASE RE-SIGN PLEASE RE-SIGN PLEASE RE-SIGN PLEASE RE-SIGN PLEASE RE-SIGN PLEASE RE-SIGN PLEASE RE-SIGN
Sheridan Keep for depth
Tomlinson Let him go as a FA for end of 1st, 2nd rd compo
Buntine Not sure if any club would pick him up so he may stay around on the rookie list on a cheap contract
Shaw Keep deserves another year
Keefe Keep same as Shaw

Rookie:
Sproule Keep
Mumford Retire
Stein Keep
D Buckley Delist
J Buckley Delist State league player at best

IMO I think Tomlinson leaves for a big contract, and then Bonar and Patton are traded and with the 2 retirements already announced that would be 9 names off the list
I can see a bid on Green coming from the Swans who currently hold pick 4 (Maybe 5 with a PP) so that will eat up a lot of points so it could be a matter that the clubs needs to use up some 2020 picks to get the picks the club needs for the players they are interested in
Green won’t get bid on very early imo. He’s not quick, not an endurance beast and not great aerially so can’t see any club going really early for him.

Green won’t get bid on very early imo. He’s not quick, not an endurance beast and not great aerially so can’t see any club going really early for him.
I am going to strongly disagree with you (but you are perfectly entitled to your opinion). I think Sydney will bid on him wherever their pick ends up, which I expect will be either #4 or #5. JPK is coming towards the end of his career, so is Keiran Jack, & Luke Parker is at the start of the end, so a big-bodied clearance machine is exactly what they'll be after IMHO. And they're happy to bid on our kids, as we've seen in the past.

This might seem radical, and perhaps a step back, but could the way forward be to pare back the experience and the re-treads, and re-invest in and trust the youth? Something like this might be the way forward in 2020 (Rookie Listers in yellow):

This would then give the Giants five Senior List spots, and two Rookie List spots, to fill.

You could perhaps re-shuffle that to keeping Patton (to have a proper forward/back-up ruckman in the seniors), moving Finlayson to the backline, and getting rid of Corr as well.

It would be a bold move to reduce the already-questionable depth even further, but it's an option that's there, to perhaps shake up the list and inject some new blood and enthusiasm, and move into the next phase beyond the early years list shuffle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back