Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Strange take? We lost by a goal in a game one of our key backs had a career worst output. I think playing a different key back and putting that bad one into a role they’re better at may have made a one goal difference?

Also I didn’t say Schofield would have won us the game, I said playing him going forward is a must because it frees up Gov and Barrass.

I dont have an issue playing Schofield in the right conditions and against the right team.

Today wasnt the game to play him but geez Barrass pooed himself today under pressure.

The boys lost this game letting Richmond play their game style, they where not letting eagles get the switch-kick-to-kick, they where covering that space.

Just needed the players to run and carry the ball a bit and then open them up down the side, kept being forced long down the line.

+ Many players had a really down day (shuey, barass, Kennedy) today and only lost by a goal.

Play that game again in September and remove any one of:
Barrass chipping it to Lambert (I think?) directly in front 30m out
Barrass handballing to Tom Lynch in the goal square
Barrass letting a high ball bounce, then refusing to rush it, goal.

And we’re fine.

They’re three moments that immediately come to mind from one player alone. Do you realise how many gears most of our guys have to go to? Hurn was terrible, Barrass was terrible, Gov was bad, midfield was invisible for 90% of the game, Kennedy was invisible, we were a rotation down in the wet.

We lost by a goal to Richmond at the G. We’re sorted.

I'm all for looking at positives but that's not how it works. You can't just remove a mistake and call it fine. A loss is a loss. They could have removed mistakes also...and had an even bigger win. This isn't round 1, we lost a top two spot which would have been immense with home ground advantage and some of the boys weren't playing like it.

Kennedy has been invisible for a few weeks now (bar kangas) and needs to be addressed if we are to progress to the GF.

Last edited:
Surely close to all of them in the first quarter? I thought he was very impactful up to QT, but he really didn’t show up after.

No excuses for not getting your hands dirty, we are not a young developing side we are a flag contender no excuses for any player in our best 22. Not that you offered one.

The boys lost this game letting Richmond play their game style, they where not letting eagles get the switch-kick-to-kick, they where covering that space.

Just needed the players to run and carry the ball a bit and then open them up down the side, kept being forced long down the line.

+ Many players had a really down day (shuey, barass, Kennedy) today and only lost by a goal.

We lost because we are an unaccountable side.

I'm all for looking at positives but that's not how it works. You can't just remove a mistake and call it fine. A loss is a loss. They could have removed mistakes also...and had an even bigger win. Lost a top two spot which would have been immense with home ground advantage.

Kennedy has been invisible for a few weeks now (bar kangas) and needs to be addressed if we are to progress to the GF.

Might not look as bad if our small forwards did their job and got to the fall of the ball, but they are all to busy standing 25m away waiting fir someone to give them the easy goal.

I'm all for looking at positives but that's not how it works. You can't just remove a mistake and call it fine. A loss is a loss. They could have removed mistakes also...and had an even bigger win. Lost a top two spot which would have been immense with home ground advantage.

Yeah it was a massive blown opportunity and yes I’m very flat about today, but I honestly think we couldn’t have played much worse after QT and we were still right in it.

I think at this time of year you look for things that you can replicate or expect in finals. Those takeaways from today:
Richmond’s pressure when on is immense (didn’t need that confirmed but it was anyway)
Kicking long down the line doesn’t work against their press (as above)
Our short possession game towels Richmond’s structure up when we can implement it
The side doesn’t fold when faced with a challenge (down however much away to Richmond with all the momentum, wrestled it back to level then got the scores tied clearance)

Things that you wouldn’t expect or would doubt will be replicated in finals:
A great key defender kicking backwards to their forward’s chest 30m out directly in front
The same defender handballing to his direct opponent in the goal square
The same defender refusing to rush a behind again and again.

The game will of course play out differently, but the structures of both team’s today each had major periods of success. That’s what will last into September, not once in a lifetime mistakes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The point is that Schofield's usefulness was already obvious. The fact it was debated earlier in the week was baffling.

Your baffling thinking playing too many talls in the wet is smart. When obviously it isnt.

Wonder what your comments were after we lost to the Lions in the wet round 1. Play more talls?

Actually its not baffling. Ive noted your style on here. Pick a fight and even when your view isnt backed up like playing talls in the wet you just pretend you are still correct and dilute the debate and play the man.

Great game of footy. Who actually cares about top 2 now. We do just fine at the G. If it didn't rain..
More about the rest and recovery. Not having to make a return flight to Melbourne/Brisbane plus the fatigue/less recovery time associated with it is huge for a team who’s travelled the most kms in the league

Your baffling thinking playing too many talls in the wet is smart. When obviously it isnt.

Wonder what your comments were after we lost to the Lions in the wet round 1. Play more talls?

Actually its not baffling. Ive noted your style on here. Pick a fight and even when your view isnt backed up like playing talls in the wet you just pretend you are still correct and dilute the debate and play the man.
Tigers talls hurt us. We were a matchup short. Schofield was missed. You're deluded if you can't see his value as a designated stopper in defence.

Would've loved to see Simpson throw Nelson on Martin. Needed someone with a little bit of C*** about themselves just to shut him down.

Instead we watched him just clear out it out of the middle with Edwards all afternoon.

Adding to this, when Hutchings isn't tagging (heard from the commentary he was focusing on Lambert) he's not best 22 imo, I understand he was injured today but this is based on previous weeks' performances.

More about the rest and recovery. Not having to make a return flight to Melbourne/Brisbane plus the fatigue/less recovery time associated with it is huge for a team who’s travelled the most kms in the league

Yeah * that is a good point. Too busy thinking we could do it from anywhere to have considered that. Might slow down a couple of the older boys

Hope for a miracle next week I guess.

No s**t because kick mark style not effective in wet. Would have cruised to a 7 goal win if it didn't rain

Remove this Banner Ad

Back