Jun 4, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Richmond kicked 13 goals

1st: Gov short pass doesn't quite find Gaff, leads to shot 30m out in front
7th: Barrass chips to Lambert 30m out in front
8th: Shuey kick into Hurn's face leads to Dusty goal
9th: Shuey kicking in danger against Soldo, 30m out in front
11th: Barrass turns into trouble, hand passes into trouble, then tackles Lynch high, 6m out
12th: Hurn miskick to Waterman, Riewoldt throw, goal Lynch
13th: Barrass refuses to rush with 4 mins playing time left, leads to goal

By contrast, the only soft/gifted goal for us was the Rioli free kick goal, thought that was a bit lucky. And there probably should have been a mark to Soldo at the top of the goalsquare.

Realistically, if some of our best players handled only a couple of these incidents slightly better, it would've gone a long way towards a different result.

frenchconnection

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
Wembley downs
AFL Club
West Coast
Yep, both slow, both needed to give more. Sheed was swamped every time he got near the ball.
Think Richmond addressed pre-game how well Sheed had been playing and put things in place to try and nullify him. But this is when the other midfielders needed to put their hands up. Perhaps too much reliance on Sheed by others?

bigedd

Rookie
Aug 16, 2009
Ardross
AFL Club
West Coast
First things first - what a cracking game of footy.

Story of the game was our errors. Some of the most dumbfounding unforced errors you’ll ever see.

Laughable, once in a lifetime mistakes on the goal line. Umpires determined to pull Richmond over the line. Lost by a goal at the G. We’re alright folks, we’re alright.

Make the melts funny or p**s off - I’m bumping everything in this thread when we’re holding the cup.

Nothing wrong with the umpiring lets not use that card. A couple decisions either way maybe but all in all a good effort from the umps I thought

We're not alright we haven't beaten Brisbane, Geelong, Richmond and 50/50 with Collingwood this season. Good teams beat the teams around them. we have had a dream draw this year thats why we have done very well but against good teams unfortunately we flounder

Jun 24, 2009
In your dreams
AFL Club
West Coast
-Kicking the ball blind out of defence (Sheed) to nobody and having it come straight back into our D50. Don't think I've seen us play like that all year.
Shuey and Gaff were much worse than Sheed in this regard today. Sheed's issue was wild up and unders from the centre out to the wing.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Richmond kicked 13 goals

1st: Gov short pass doesn't quite find Gaff, leads to shot 30m out in front
7th: Barrass chips to Lambert 30m out in front
8th: Shuey kick into Hurn's face leads to Dusty goal
9th: Shuey kicking in danger against Soldo, 30m out in front
11th: Barrass turns into trouble, hand passes into trouble, then tackles Lynch high, 6m out
12th: Hurn miskick to Waterman, Riewoldt throw, goal Lynch
13th: Barrass refuses to rush with 4 mins playing time left, leads to goal

By contrast, the only soft/gifted goal for us was the Rioli free kick goal, thought that was a bit lucky. And there probably should have been a mark to Soldo at the top of the goalsquare.

Realistically, if some of our best players handled only a couple of these incidents slightly better, it would've gone a long way towards a different result.
That’s how Richmond wins though. They force errors through extreme forward pressure. I don’t think we could rule them out from happening next time.

West Coast 06

Premium Platinum
Jun 5, 2006
Home
AFL Club
West Coast
Nothing wrong with the umpiring lets not use that card. A couple decisions either way maybe but all in all a good effort from the umps I thought

We're not alright we haven't beaten Brisbane, Geelong, Richmond and 50/50 with Collingwood this season. Good teams beat the teams around them. we have had a dream draw this year thats why we have done very well but against good teams unfortunately we flounder
A dream draw gives us seven home games in a row at the end of the season, you know like Richmond has. We ain’t never getting a dream draw mate.

ioppolo

This only ends one way.
Oct 3, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea, OKC Thunder, Scorchers
We lost in the coaches box and at the end. Panic stations down on defence. All bar Jetta were unnaturally panicky. Even a draw would've been handy as a win next week would've confirmed second. Really ******* annoying.

Yes we're good enough to take it up to anyone and win anywhere but * me s**t games like this are annoying as *. Who can honestly say they're fine having to travel first week of finals rather than a home qualifying final, which almost guarantees a home prelim?

The umpires also let Richmond get away with A LOT of s**t.

Honestly their pressure didn't seem all that amazing. Just our mids and defenders making terrible decisions/mistakes under no pressure.
It builds over time though, that’s why they’re such a good side. You make decisions you wouldn’t make because you perceive pressure before it arrives. Add the weather to the mix and it’s very tough to compete against,

Dec 18, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I honestly think we beat the Tigers on any other day, we were diabolically bad and they barely got over the line when we were down a player in conditions that suited them.

Barrass won't have so many unforced errors again in his life, comically bad. Funny thing is he was good outside of those nightmare moments.

Shuey's worst game I've seen in a long time. 8 turnovers, absolute garbage and unintelligent play. His dump kicks fell short, he couldn't hit a target and defensively he got turned inside out. He won't play like that again for a year.

Sheed was putrid. 14 touches and 6 turnovers. Honestly mate those around the corner kicks need to be put away, the worst part is he does them under little pressure with handball releases on. Horrible game, having a really bad patch.

Redden was equally poor, not clean, couldn't hold Martin.

Gaff I thought was huge, the only one who played to the conditions. Stats will say he had 9 turnovers but they weren't the same wasteful ones like Shuey and Sheed produced, he ran, he looked, he kicked through the line of the ball, he got back and he pushed forward. Had no help at all with Hutchings going down who normally covers big kms. Gaff lead the game with 16.7 km, no other Eagle top 5.

Jetta was cleaner than everyone else, started like a house on fire and eventually got into it in the wet showing others how to play.

Yeo did well, 15 clearances is huge, it felt like it was either him or nobody really. 8 tackles, 2 goal assists, he did his part.

Cripps was clean which was strange, he's a bloody smart player though, coming off injury he's still getting into the groove of things but at least he's maximum damage atm, his running power will slowly come back as well.

JK needs a rocket. Stats say he gave away 3 free kicks but it felt like way more. There are no professional free kicks for him, he just ****ed up when we could have been away with the ball. I know he's going to turn the corner, but it's pissing me off how long he is taking.

I'm still not sure we need Waterman instead of another small, even though I think he has what it takes, on days like today you just have to wonder. I still think the Tigers hold no fears, we sort of choked that game away big time but we can easily contend with them.

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
It builds over time though, that’s why they’re such a good side. You make decisions you wouldn’t make because you perceive pressure before it arrives. Add the weather to the mix and it’s very tough to compete against,
It’s easy to discount what Richmond do but for some reason once they’re setup they just dismantle sides time and time again. It’s all system and a few class players. That’s what makes them so good.

ThePuma #9

Club Legend
Sep 21, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, FC Barcelona
As the top 4 stands today with one round to go, we haven't beaten a top 4 side this year.

Irrelevant.

Look at the bigger picture.

Played Brisbane at home on a sticky, humid night where we were clearly underdone with so many players having ops in off season and little to no pre season.

Played Geelong at their home ground where we hardly ever play and we’re still finding some form due to again, limited pre seasons for a lot of crucial players.

Played Richmond at the G with horrific conditions in the wet suiting their style and only went down by a goal even though we were one mid down in rotations for the second half.

Geelong don’t scare me, particularly at the G. Their old and have run their race.

Brisbane are zippy and playing with passion but I’d love another crack at them and even though we’ll get screwed with a night game I feel confident we can beat them this time.

Richmond can be a handful and won’t have to travel most likely for finals if they get Geelong week one and thump them but I’ll be more than happy to go up against them on GF day with a possessed Nic Nat and hopefully some dry weather.

Just because of circumstances we haven’t beaten them.....yet.

Jul 19, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast

I could understand that in the middle with the blind kicks forward but missing a 20m target after a mark is just poor execution.

frenchconnection

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
Wembley downs
AFL Club
West Coast
We just need to learn how to play wet weather football - ie move it on at all costs. It seemed like we were trying to play fine weather football in wet conditions which will bring the best of teams unstuck.

Jul 19, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Irrelevant.

Look at the bigger picture.

Played Brisbane at home on a sticky, humid night where we were clearly underdone with so many players having ops in off season and little to no pre season.

Played Geelong at their home ground where we hardly ever play and we’re still finding some form due to again, limited pre seasons for a lot of crucial players.

Played Richmond at the G with horrific conditions in the wet suiting their style and only went down by a goal even though we were one mid down in rotations for the second half.

Geelong don’t scare me, particularly at the G. Their old and have run their race.

Brisbane are zippy and playing with passion but I’d love another crack at them and even though we’ll get screwed with a night game I feel confident we can beat them this time.

Richmond can be a handful and won’t have to travel most likely for finals if they get Geelong week one and thump them but I’ll be more than happy to go up against them on GF day with a possessed Nic Nat and hopefully some dry weather.

Just because of circumstances we haven’t beaten them.....yet.

Agreed.

Honestly this season is all over the place. The difference between the top 8 isn't very much at all. Would of loved a second game against Brisbane or Geelong in Perth. Of games against the Top 4 teams (excluding WCE) we have had only 1 home and 4 away.

Beating top 4 teams away is literally the hardest thing to do in the AFL.

JEagle

All Australian
Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Kennedy needs to lift. Looks unco and killed any momentum we had anytime he was near it.

Should manage him next year and play Brander a bit more.

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
One thing that was really noticeable being at the ground is that Richmond always have three players guarding the corridor close to each other. It means any stray kick into the corridor almost always results in them retaining possession and an easy chain of handballs inside their 50.

On the other hand they constantly kick 45° toward the boundary into space when they’re exiting defence. I was so annoyed that they never got called deliberate. It’s so obviously deliberate but they never get pinged. Frustrating

UpsideDown

Team Captain
Apr 25, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I feel like Simpson may have just let let Dusty off the leash and give the Tigers some liberty to see exactly what they had and not show his hand until finals. Got him a good read of how they will play and can get some ideas as to how to combat it. They had loose players around every contest and spread really hard. We were very underdone around the stoppages.

Top 2 was on the line, which would have set us up nicely. I don't think he was holding any cards to himself. Unless he is a true mastermind and has full faith that we don't need top two to make the granny #insimmowetrust

Back