Mod. Notice Competitions: READ BEFORE POSTING A COMPETITION

It's probably too early to start worrying about such things, and probably more unqualified at this point to run it. I've just been wondering about these lately...

If an Olympics comp was to be run next year, how would it fit into the calender? assuming that Can-Am would most likely be running during the duration of the Olympics next year like it has this year (and possibly the Bondi Beach Gridiron)

Aug 8, 2008
Campbelltown
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal, Macarthur FC
It's probably too early to start worrying about such things, and probably more unqualified at this point to run it. I've just been wondering about these lately...

If an Olympics comp was to be run next year, how would it fit into the calender? assuming that Can-Am would most likely be running during the duration of the Olympics next year like it has this year (and possibly the Bondi Beach Gridiron)

We currently have an Olympics competition running, don’t we Andonis1997

Aug 8, 2008
Campbelltown
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal, Macarthur FC
I was thinking of calling it AGL for Australian Gridiron League or something else.
Anyways if you're interested in a gridiron design competition, like this post and if we get the go ahead we'll see when we can fit it in :)

Is it time to now begin discussing/preparing for this caloschwaby?

Is it time to now begin discussing/preparing for this caloschwaby?
I think it is, got the logos and general idea of the structure sorted. It will be conference/division-based like the NFL.
Only concern is when to start and finish, as Nato and I have exam time beginning around early October and I'd really hate to half-ass it once they come around (though I'm not sure if it will impact my ability to study or the other way around).

I was thinking a few things in order to mitigate this or get around it entirely: begin the season sometime in October/November (ensuring NAFL's spotlight isn't fully taken). This is depending on the time we have to fit this in on the FJGD schedule, but each team could play every other team once (teams will be ranked in their conferences still), ensuring we see the full range of matchups. If polls are 2/3 days, the competition could run for round for a month and a bit, though this depends on how many people join. Nato and I will probably plan around 8/10 entries (including ours).

So, it's all ready to get the ball rolling. No doubt next year with school behind in the dust we'll be able to make this competition sometimes special, but for now it will have to have a humble beginning.

Ah what the hell. Here's to get the ball rolling!

I present to you the Australian Gridiron League!
(League logo/graphics still work-in-progress)

Not sure if we've reached that 10 like threshold yet, so come on, give this a big thumbs up :)

Last edited:
The competition will run under a conference system which will be used for the purpose of playoff standings/seedings only.
Each team will play every other team once, with 4 Home and 4 Away games + an extra special theme TBD (providing we get 10 entries, can be adjusted accordingly in future).
The draw of who plays who and where is to be decided by a random drawing via www.fixturelist.com

With 9 Rounds + 4 Round Playoff series to be on 3-day polls (for example), the competiton should run for roughly a month and a half (39 days).
Could play around with the start date, but a October 1st start would see the competition end roughly on December 9th, making it relatively shorter and limiting any encroachment on the summer competitions. This would only be pushed forward to allow people to get entries in :)

With that, and until I recieve the magical 10 likes, we're ready to go to initiate the bidding/design phase for the inaugural season of the competition.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Packers, Raptors, Renegades
Ah what the hell. Here's to get the ball rolling!

I present to you the Australian Gridiron League!
(League logo/graphics still work-in-progress)

View attachment 729701

Not sure if we've reached that 10 like threshold yet, so come on, give this a big thumbs up :)
Bumping
Just need two more magic likes on this post to pass the threshold!

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
Another relatively quickfire competition proposal:

An Australian club based first class cricket competition.

- Entrants would be required to submit 1 image containing 1 uniform, that is either white (or cream), including a baggy cap and a logo.
- Clubs would be based in Australian cities, towns and suburbs, and although they might share the name of an existing amateur cricket club, they are to be entirely original clubs with entirely original logos etc.
- Competition structure will depend on the number of entrants.

The emphasis for this competition would be twofold:

1) Traditionalist first class/test cricket aesthetics. Simple, monogram or coat-of-arms style logos. No sponsors, no player names or numbers. None of the T20 style razzle dazzle.

2) You're designing a plain white uniform, with a white body and white sleeves, so this is all about how you show attention to detail in the cut and trim of the kit. Club colours and designs are allowed but it has to be kept to a minimum. It's effectively a presentation competition. This is the real test of the competition, and getting this attention to detail right will help level up your designs in other competitions as well.

Edit: I may possibly include a concurrent one day cup so people can flesh out their clubs with colours, but keeping the traditional aesthetic. Undecided as yet and happy to hear opinions on the matter if theres some interest in the comp

Last edited:

- Entrants would be required to submit 1 image containing 1 uniform, that is either white (or cream), including a baggy cap and a logo.
- Clubs would be based in Australian cities, towns and suburbs, and although they might share the name of an existing amateur cricket club, they are to be entirely original clubs with entirely original logos etc.

1) Traditionalist first class/test cricket aesthetics. Simple, monogram or coat-of-arms style logos. No sponsors, no player names or numbers. None of the T20 style razzle dazzle.

2) You're designing a plain white uniform, with a white body and white sleeves, so this is all about how you show attention to detail in the cut and trim of the kit. Club colours and designs are allowed but it has to be kept to a minimum. It's effectively a presentation competition. This is the real test of the competition, and getting this attention to detail right will help level up your designs in other competitions as well.

E4130E45-F231-40E3-8B8A-B3E909802C79.jpeg

Jun 18, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers

Edit: I may possibly include a concurrent one day cup so people can flesh out their clubs with colours, but keeping the traditional aesthetic. Undecided as yet and happy to hear opinions on the matter if theres some interest in the comp
Interesting idea but I see this being very template-focused. I'm not sure about this one.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Interesting idea but I see this being very template-focused. I'm not sure about this one.

That will certainly be an important aspect, but it's not everything. There is still plenty of design that can go into a mostly white polo shirt and pants, and the requirement for a baggy cap means people can't simply torrent a yellow images template and set the colours to white.

The purpose of the comp is mainly to get people thinking about how putting time and effort into their template, presentation and associated window dressing can really make a positive difference to what they produce.

Oct 27, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Packers, Raptors, Renegades

I like it. More emphasis will be on presentation and the finer details which would make things interesting. Would you consider making the comp with all the current ICC Test countries instead of just within Australia? And just get everyone to pick a country like in that Soccer World Cup comp we did a couple years back.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
I like it. More emphasis will be on presentation and the finer details which would make things interesting. Would you consider making the comp with all the current ICC Test countries instead of just within Australia? And just get everyone to pick a country like in that Soccer World Cup comp we did a couple years back.

I don't really want to limit people's creativity by making them fit into existing identities for this competition, but it's an interesting idea.

Anyhoo, I have 9 likes + me, which is 10, so i'm happy to get this up and running. Thread will go up as soon as I can get everything together

Mar 30, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Dolphins, Seattle Kraken
Hi guys, looking at running a weekly football design comp, with a slight twist - focused on corporate brands. Entrants will have to develop a corporate football identity for 10 of the worlds leading brands - one each week (so 10 weeks total). I've limited it to 10 so it won't interfere too much with out comps, thoughts?

Edit:

If i have time i'll do one of these each week, but here is week 1

corp_fbl_round1_edit.png

Hi guys, looking at running a weekly football design comp, with a slight twist - focused on corporate brands. Entrants will have to develop a corporate football identity for 10 of the worlds leading brands - one each week (so 10 weeks total). I've limited it to 10 so it won't interfere too much with out comps, thoughts?

Edit:

If i have time i'll do one of these each week, but here is week 1

View attachment 815367
I like this, although I feel like you'd get a better variety of entries if you opened it up to a brand category (Tech, fast food, sportswear, gaming, automotive, etc.) rather than a single company. Might get more entries as well as people have more options to get inspired to design for too, just a thought though.

Mar 30, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Dolphins, Seattle Kraken
I like this, although I feel like you'd get a better variety of entries if you opened it up to a brand category (Tech, fast food, sportswear, gaming, automotive, etc.) rather than a single company. Might get more entries as well as people have more options to get inspired to design for too, just a thought though.
As in each week is a different category? Not a bad idea, it seems a corporate comp has enough support. I'll put something together and launch it once the final futbol poll is finished.

Back