Preview Round 23 - Gold Coast Suns vs GWS Giants, Saturday 24th August, Metricon Stadium, 7.25pm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
Not a single goal after half time.

Two weeks of consecutive goal-less second halves. Even the kids of 2012 never went there.

Can anyone explain to me two consecutive goal-less second halves? How does that happen? It's clear the Dogs switched on late in the second term, but after a flurry at the start of the third quarter, we just switched off. I understand individual players have an off day, it happens all the time, but an entire team? Something is seriously wrong somewhere.

And don't get me started on size of the crowd. I'm leaving that for the post-season review.

As for the free-kick count, 5-17 against us, what a joke. I saw with my own eyes an umpire "miss" seeing a ball that clearly bounced out-of-bounds, then later pay a free kick for nothing. Don't tell me the AFL doesn't try to influence the outcome of games through the umpires.

We've got six days to sort all this out, so here's a quick summary. We're going to play in another finals campaign, but still haven't confirmed a home final (that was supposed to have happened by now). Beat the Suns and we confirm sixth spot, and most likely play either Essendon or probably the Dogs again on our own turf (what a joy that would be for the marketing department). And let's not think about the scenario if we lose.

Now the bad news. Unless something radical changes somewhere, the Suns, even though they have absolutely nothing to play for and have been something of a rabble for a long time, might just go into next Saturday thinking they're a chance. If they manage to win, all I can say it that they won't be the only expansion club with serious credibility problems.

About the best you can say from today is that we got some game time into Kelly, De Boer, and Corr. The two Jeremys and maybe Hopper and Lloyd are a chance to return for the Suns; if not this week, they'll all be back for the first final, along with Sam Taylor. Coniglio should be back for the semi if we make it that far. Oh, and Mummy might be back next week, if that helps.

Changes? Sproule out for sure. Others for the chop include Reid, Stein, Hill, Keeffe, and Caldwell. Maybe Perryman. Maybe Leon. Take your pick. Depends on who's available to replace them.

I think the best thing we can all do this week is contact the club and tell whoever answers the phone in no uncertain terms that the past two weeks have been unacceptable and we won't have 30,000 members next year unless the team starts looking like they give a s***.

Rant over.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Stein was poor and needs to go

The def was just so porous and we seemed to let the s ore with ease

We smashed them in the hit outs, were pretty even in the clearances and still it seemed we were very soundly beaten in the midfield. I’m at a loss to be honest

Can only assume cogs has told them he is leaving and everyone is hurting

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Interesting tweet.

Was thinking the same thing about his place in the squad.
Screenshot_20190818-234251_Twitter.jpeg

Stein was poor and needs to go

The def was just so porous and we seemed to let the s ore with ease

We smashed them in the hit outs, were pretty even in the clearances and still it seemed we were very soundly beaten in the midfield. I’m at a loss to be honest

Can only assume cogs has told them he is leaving and everyone is hurting
I have been wondering the same for the last 2 rounds, why has the life suddenly gone out of the team.
This would make sense.

A group of part timers, kids, and Kelly just returned from injury. Not excusing them but consistency and knowing your mate knows his job is massive these days in the middle and we don't have that so players freelance and we end up on the back foot.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
A group of part timers, kids, and Kelly just returned from injury. Not excusing them but consistency and knowing your mate knows his job is massive these days in the middle and we don't have that so players freelance and we end up on the back foot.
Yeah I agree that impacts continuity but our effort was well down. They beat us badly in possession and we had very low tackling numbers

Agreed players coming back don’t guarantee success but it was lackadaisical

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
Still reeling after yesterday.

I can't understand what happened after half time. It's the second week in a row. Why?

Have we reached the point where the coaching group has lost the players?

Dave Matthews needs to ask himself - and a few other people - some very hard questions. If he hasn't already.

It definitely smells of that... just the weird way we're collapsing after half time, which is usually when you get the half time address and any plan adjustments.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Still reeling after yesterday.

I can't understand what happened after half time. It's the second week in a row. Why?

Dave Matthews needs to ask himself - and a few other people - some very hard questions. If he hasn't already.
I certainly don't have the answers but the coaching group losing the players is a bit dramatic

gee whiz giant

All Australian
Mar 3, 2014
CBR
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
the Toffees, the Bays.
I agree with above posters that the Cogs situation has let the air out of the tyres, through the whole club. Everyone is flat, Leon included.
Poor chap has run out of steam.
Cogs has screwed the season

Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
They are supposed to be professionals.

If a player leaving sends them for 6 then it's an even bigger indictment on the group and especially the coaching staff.

Speaking of Coniglio, he looked very **** and span yesterday during his onfield interview.

If he's told the playing group he's leaving, I'm surprised it hasn't gone public yet.

Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
We've lost 100 goals for the year out of the fwd line, there is patch up jobs going on all over the field, players coming back who will be better for the run. Let's have a bit positivity. We have a great chance this week to get some fun back into it, I hope they have a team bonding session on the GC and see some guys enjoying themselves on the field again.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
We've lost 100 goals for the year out of the fwd line, there is patch up jobs going on all over the field, players coming back who will be better for the run. Let's have a bit positivity. We have a great chance this week to get some fun back into it, I hope they have a team bonding session on the GC and see some guys enjoying themselves on the field again.
Unfortunately thats my great fear.

We smash the Suns into whimpering babies and then all the pressure is off and everyone talks us up again.

With the greatest respect to the Eclispe they are at the bottom of a rebuild, the very very start, our 3rds should be able to put a ton on them at where we are supposed to be.

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Opportunity for the club to make a statement this week v the Suns and a tricky trip with the way the team has been travelling with 2 narrow wins followed by 2 big losses
A few tests with Cameron, Hopper, TOJ and Taylor possible inclusions although I can see the club being cautious with all 4 and none of them making it up for the trip
My team for the game, Hope to see Greene in the middle for the whole game and not expecting too much from this game except the 4 points

Shaw Davis Taylor/Keefe
Williams Corr Haynes
Whitfield Taranto Tomlinson
MDB HH Kennedy
Hill Sproule/Cameron Daniels
Mumford Greene Kelly
Perryman Reid Hopper/Hately/Shipley/Cumming/Bonar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back