Past #32: Mason Wood - 65 NM games/76 NM goals - delisted end '20 - SSP selection for STK '21 - GL Mase

Well yeah, getting by far the superior player in a straight swap generally is suitable.

Do Sydney not have academy prospects coming through in the '20 draft?

I'd give them Wood and our future second for Papley.

Thewlis Dish

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 9, 2003
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
FGR
I'd give them Wood and our future second for Papley.

That's around the mark for me. Other option would be turning our first rounder into two picks in the teens (Brisbane? Reckon GWS keep theirs as they have a high academy prospect), and then using one on Papley - if he was out of contract it would be a little bit easier.

Adding Papley to our forward line would be 1993 levels of attacking potential. Either way I reckon Mase has clearly played his last game for the club. Rhyce not a great poker player.

Feb 11, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He’s not full squib tho, I have to agree if he exerted himself more he would be a reckoning.. goes for numerous players on our list, very selective on when they go
Biggest gripe I’ve got with the list is the above.. it’s not just choosing when putting you’re head over the ball but they seem to give up the chase.
The boys need non negotiables.

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He’s not full squib tho, I have to agree if he exerted himself more he would be a reckoning.. goes for numerous players on our list, very selective on when they go

He certainly goes in hard at times. Tackles hard, flies for marks hard. I've also noticed he LANDS really hard, or so you would think based on his reaction.

I just don't get him. I really hope he's just a bit head*ed from hurting himself in so many bizarre ways and just needs to find confidence in his body (again, again). But he is just so random when it comes to his efforts. Game to game, quarter to quarter, play to play. Never know what type of effort you're going to get from him.

His soft efforts stand out a lot because of the times when he doesn't shirk it. He really can fly for marks as courageously as anyone. Such a waste that he can't find it in himself to develop consistency in his effort though. I think he's destined to be traded, and not on bad terms either. The best thing for him is probably a fresh start and a clean slate, where he can simply start anew and rewrite his story. That's how I would be selling it to him anyway. Such a damned shame.

Garner has had just as bad a run with injury and he doesn't pick and choose when to go.

That's why he's in the team and Mason isn't.

benbanjo

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Not everyone is naturally courageous. Wood has had plenty of gutsy efforts on a footy field but he'll never be someone who goes back with the flight instinctively.

He used to do this on the regular back a few years ago, even got knocked out several times.

Quintero

All Australian
May 16, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
River Plate
Macmillan is a squib. Goldie is a squib. Polec and Ahern I'm not convinced aren't squibs. Wood is not a squib.

We need more talent, not less. Wood should be untouchable unless we get offered massive overs.

Aug 25, 2006
Mount Waverley
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I don’t know where I sit with getting rid of Wood? The guy is massively talented and could be anything.

The one thing I am sure of is that I wouldn’t be getting rid of him for an average pick. Also when has Papely become this god like player that demands Wood plus a second?

I could live with a straight swap, but anything much more and I would be looking at alternatives to Papely.

Thats not his glaring fault, its his innacuracy with set shot,

If the decision is between Garner & Wood going forward I'd be staggered if set shot accuracy was coming into it. Garner is less reliable than Wood.

Not everyone is naturally courageous. Wood has had plenty of gutsy efforts on a footy field but he'll never be someone who goes back with the flight instinctively.

I don't think its that, I actually don't have any concerns with Mason's willingness to go in the air.

It is the ground ball stuff.

Watch Garner charge into packs in our forward line and wrestle the ball into his possession then use his innate strength to keep going forward with four blokes hanging off him until the umpire calls ball up.

Mason doesn't do that. Garner's effort keeps the ball locked in our forward line, Mason's let the ball out.

Under Shaw, that's unforgiveable.

As the meerkat would say ... simples.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I don't think its that, I actually don't have any concerns with Mason's willingness to go in the air.

It is the ground ball stuff.

Watch Garner charge into packs in our forward line and wrestle the ball into his possession then use his innate strength to keep going forward with four blokes hanging off him until the umpire calls ball up.

Mason doesn't do that. Garner's effort keeps the ball locked in our forward line, Mason's let the ball out.

Under Shaw, that's unforgiveable.

As the meerkat would say ... simples.

Good observation.

There's a marked difference between Taylor & Mason regarding the ground ball staying in our possession.

Mason runs harder & longer, and is a slightly better mark, but Taylor has it all over him in the contested situation.

Good observation.

There's a marked difference between Taylor & Mason regarding the ground ball staying in our possession.

Mason runs harder & longer, and is a slightly better mark, but Taylor has it all over him in the contested situation.

I'm not ever going to call Mason a squib - I've seen him go running back with the flight just as hard as Carey.

And this element of the game - the ground ball forward line lock in stuff - isn't about "guts" at all.

It is about who is better at what. Taylor's a got a lower centre of gravity and a stronger core. he's also being very obviously instructed to do this in a forward line.

That stuff isn't Mason's go at all.

I like watching Mase in full flight and will bear him no ill will if he finds success at another club (as just as not against us in final etc etc)

koshari

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 24, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If the decision is between Garner & Wood going forward I'd be staggered if set shot accuracy was coming into it. Garner is less reliable than Wood.
Yes agreed. That was my point all though i wasnt suggesting it be a point of difference on who stays. For the record jz is a pretty ordinary set shot in the 25 to 40m range. odly enough though he appears to be a better bet from 50 out.

I suspect Garner's set shots a bit iffy due to hammy concerns about kicking through and lack of set practice over the year.

Some confidence in his body again and he'll be right.

Back