Autopsy Jared & Jasper's revenge: North v Port, round 22, 2019

BigRedRoo

Club Legend
May 17, 2006
Geelong
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I was lucky enough to be at the game, incredible how fast we looked with slick ball movement and good spread.
It's clear that we have worked on taking the tackle on and getting the ball out, under Brad we would get caught with the ball and force a ball up.
Great to see us taking the arm in tackles, this is the flip side to taking the tackler on, now when we tackle it's the opposition who struggle to move the ball on.
The only concern I saw was Turner who turned the ball over far too easily.
If this is how we are going to play under Rhyce more power to him.

BigRed

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I was lucky enough to be at the game, incredible how fast we looked with slick ball movement and good spread.
It's clear that we have worked on taking the tackle on and getting the ball out, under Brad we would get caught with the ball and force a ball up.
Great to see us taking the arm in tackles, this is the flip side to taking the tackler on, now when we tackle it's the opposition who struggle to move the ball on.
The only concern I saw was Turner who turned the ball over far too easily.
If this is how we are going to play under Ryce more power to him.

BigRed

Kayne might get a spell this week. He needs it.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Noticing you (as a peer in seeing the value in Kayne's game) are starting to query his productivity.

Long term concerns or just his immediate numbers?

Hey mate, if I am not the most unbiased judge around here, then I am close to it. I call it as it is. I love Kayne, but he just has to start giving us more proactive footy. I don't have long term concerns as I see him giving us more when we are consistently a more offensive side. He's a definite keeper, but he could do with dropping back to the VFL and getting some more ball in his hand.

benbanjo

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hey mate, if I am not the most unbiased judge around here, then I am close to it. I call it as it is. I love Kayne, but he just has to start giving us more proactive footy. I don't have long term concerns as I see him giving us more when we are consistently a more offensive side. He's a definite keeper, but he could do with dropping back to the VFL and getting some more ball in his hand.

HAHAHA good one Snake, even you must have had a giggle typing this.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone

To my eyes he was playing a "role" vs port, seemed to be near the footy without getting the footy a bit which suggested he was more tasked than stopping offensive play than generating it.

Could be wrong. If anyone of us remember and can be f'd it'd be interesting to see player like Kayne's B&F votes for games like this - would go a long way to explaining whether a particular role trumped any numbers on paper.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
To my eyes he was playing a "role" vs port, seemed to be near the footy without getting the footy a bit which suggested he was more tasked than stopping offensive play than generating it.

Could be wrong. If anyone of us remember and can be f'd it'd be interesting to see player like Kayne's B&F votes for games like this - would go a long way to explaining whether a particular role trumped any numbers on paper.

Yeah, he does that a lot mate, but it's just as important that he cashes in when he gets the chance, and Kayne has been off in that category lately.

His missed (by a fair margin too) snap at goal early in the game is symptomatic of Kayne's shortcomings, to almost every other small forward, that was a routine bread and butter shot, but the usual outcome of that miss results in opposition rushing ball straight back the other way for a 12pt turnaround, and loss of momentum, MUST nail those shots in his current role.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
His missed (by a fair margin too) snap at goal early in the game is symptomatic of Kayne's shortcomings, to almost every other small forward, that was a routine bread and butter shot, but the usual outcome of that miss results in opposition rushing ball straight back the other way for a 12pt turnaround, and loss of momentum, MUST nail those shots in his current role.

This is true but Jack is barely hitting the sides of barns with his set shots. He nails them and we win by 100. Think Kayne's shortcomings are being zeroed in on a little over the odds.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club

Darcy Byrne Jones doing absolutely nothing as well.

The two are linked.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Nobody felt the need to tell Taylor he is a vicious thug who has no place at our club?

Didn't think so.

They were on the speed dial to ground security at the time.

Moralising w@nkers.

Dirty_11

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 28, 2014
Beneath the Blue & White
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Shinboners

I think he is given a role most weeks.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Just watching the replay. The TT disco on the wing boundary, to Zurhaar brushing off Byrne Jones like a fly to Brown running in and casually slotting a banana dribbler might be our play of the season.

In fact the footwork by Tarryn alone is in the conversation.

Happened right in front me, the duck to brush off the tackle as well.

May 15, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Congratulations on the win.

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the game. If you haven't seen a previous post, this is an overall summary of how often your players were lining up as one of the 5 mids at bounces.

Overall Summary - 34 Bounces

Polec 31 (30w, 1i)
Dumont 30 (17w, 13i)
Simpkin 28 (17i, 11w)
Higgins 26 (16i, 10w)
Cunnington 25
Ziebell 15
Anderson (inj) 10
Thomas 5

Rucks:
Goldstein 31
Larkey 3

Centre Clearances (as per Champion Data/AFL.com.au)
Cunnington 7
Goldstein 6
Dumont 3
Ziebell 2
Simpkin 2
Thomas 1
Turner 1

1st Half - 17

Polec 15 (14w, 1i)
Dumont 15 wing
Cunnington 14
Simpkin 13 (8i, 5w)
Higgins 12
Ziebell 9
Anderson 7

Goldstein 16
Larkey 1

2nd Half - 17

Polec 16 wing
Dumont 15 (2w)
Simpkin 15 (9i, 6w)
Higgins 14 (10w, 4i)
Cunnington 11
Ziebell 6
Thomas 5
Anderson 3

Goldstein 15
Larkey 2

Notes (pertain to the 13 analysed games this season and those analysed from previous seasons 2015-8):
- Few games have 34 bounces, so predictably plenty of players registered season highs (from the 13 games analysed) and 1 had a career high (from all analysed games dating back to 2015)...
- Dumont: Career high for analysed games as well as his most inside starts since Rd 23, 2017
- Simpkin: Season high in overall starts and his most wing starts since Rd 17, 2018
- Polec: Club high with his last 31 start game coming in Rd 13, 2018
- Higgins: Season high for overall starts and most wing starts since Rd 9
- Cunnington: Season high
- Goldstein: Season high ruck contests
- Larkey: Equal 2nd highest appearances as the 2nd ruck (with Rds 11 & 16). He had 7 starts in Rd 9, with his other 6 games featuring either 1 or 2 starts

Back