Club Focus Gold Coast 2020 - Atkins, Markov, Hollands

AFL Club Focus

Do they still need the pick 19 priority pick in 2021?

• Yes

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • No

Votes: 37 84.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Gold Coast club focus thread
Definitely fringe but has a big upside IMO, you know how this works gcsun, we offer up our fringe players who we secretly don't want anymore and due to our improvement are not likely to be regular 1st 22 again although we say they are required players and we'd be reluctant to let them go.;)

You interested in- Ryan Bastinac, Nick Robertson, Jacob Allison, Tom Cutler, Josh Walker?

Walker’s played really good football this year. He’s held out of the side by Harris Andrews who’s arguably the best KPD in the competition right now.

Allison and Bastinac aren’t much chop.

Cutler has potential but he doesn’t seem to be involved in our plans. He’ll head back to Victoria and blossom.

Robertson a solid mature body who’ll play his role and give his all. I’d be happy keeping him as depth but he’d serve you well.

Ideally, Starc and Cox are best 22 players next year when they both have a free run at it.

Walker’s played really good football this year. He’s held out of the side by Harris Andrews who’s arguably the best KPD in the competition right now.

Allison and Bastinac aren’t much chop.

Cutler has potential but he doesn’t seem to be involved in our plans. He’ll head back to Victoria and blossom.

Robertson a solid mature body who’ll play his role and give his all. I’d be happy keeping him as depth but he’d serve you well.

Ideally, Starc and Cox are best 22 players next year when they both have a free run at it.

Displacing who?
Hodge and ..
Christensen? Answerth?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Why do people talk as though the Suns HAVE to trade for established talent this year or they'll cease to exist? They're not aiming for the finals next season, it's a 2-3 year job. In three years time Rowell and Lukosius could be better than either Crouch brother. There's no sense in mortgaging their future for a good player now. It won't cost anywhere near as much to get an older veteran who is still best 22, like Mundy or JPK or Stephen Hill.

Why do people talk as though the Suns HAVE to trade for established talent this year or they'll cease to exist? They're not aiming for the finals next season, it's a 2-3 year job. In three years time Rowell and Lukosius could be better than either Crouch brother. There's no sense in mortgaging their future for a good player now. It won't cost anywhere near as much to get an older veteran who is still best 22, like Mundy or JPK or Stephen Hill.
if they get pick 1 as a priority, Rowell & Anderson would be great gets to pad the midfield out for the future. Signing up the kids is a good sign things are on the up there.

Brodie, MacPherson, McLennan, Graham have all re-signed until 2022.

Looks like the current strategy at the Gold Coast is to contract them in batches, "I'll sign if you do" sort of thing. Smart play by them.

MacPherson is super underrated imo. Lot of really bright kids coming with Rankine, Lukosious, King, Bowes, MacPherson, Brodie, Fiorini and Ainsworth. Keep those blokes and depending on how long Crossley is banned for, you've got a very solid group to build around
Crossley?
He's a flyer at best.
Think we would include Ah Chee (21), Ballard (20), Powell (19), Wright (22), Miller (23) and Weller (23) well ahead of Brayden Crossley.

Question for Suns fans - what is happening with Wright?
last few games i've watched, the midfield seems to hold its own but there is nothing to kick to.
King is battling, but the kid is in his first year.

Is he on the way back from injury? or just not getting picked?

last few games i've watched, the midfield seems to hold its own but there is nothing to kick to.

Form day is offering more impact both offence and the other way...

2mpete signed on recently but atm he is not best 22

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wright really struggles to make big impacts on games as he lacks aggression and doesn’t fly at the ball enough. King is averaging as many contested marks a game as Wright does despite weighing 90 kilos at absolute best. Day has been great since he has been back in the side, has a great set of hands and can play back and forward. 2MP will have to improve dramatically over the off season if he is going to make the step up we all thought he would 2 years ago

Fair play to Rischitelli probably has the record for most losing games over 80+ points in AFL history, but he stuck by the suns a lesson few young ones could learn.....

In general draft picks are over rated IMO, the acquisitions of Lachie Neale and Charlie Cameron over the last 2 years for us has highlighted that for me even more.

If I was the Suns I'd give up pick 2 of Ollie Wines in a heart beat (Ollie Wines >>>> Lachie Weller), Wines fills a need and still has a minimum of 5-6 years left in the system, he is a definite need with his inside mid game and is also a leader.

Or if the Suns have a sniff that Lukosius could want out when he's OOC-

Power In/Suns Out- Jack Lukosius.

Suns In/Power Out- Ollie Wines

In general draft picks are over rated IMO, the acquisitions of Lachie Neale and Charlie Cameron over the last 2 years for us has highlighted that for me even more.
We didn't give up a top two pick for either of them and Wines doesn't have the potential of either of them.

If I was the Suns I'd give up pick 2 of Ollie Wines in a heart beat (Ollie Wines >>>> Lachie Weller), Wines fills a need and still has a minimum of 5-6 years left in the system, he is a definite need with his inside mid game and is also a leader.
Trading elite talent for a good but not great player is what Freo did in 2001. Do you think they'd rather have Croad or Hodge, looking back?

Wines has been reported to want to move back to Victoria. What makes you think he'll want to go to the Gold Coast or stay any longer than he has to?

Gold Coast, aren't contending for finals next year, they don't need to mortgage their future for a player now. Lukosius is worth far more than Wines.

We didn't give up a top two pick for either of them and Wines doesn't have the potential of either of them.

Trading elite talent for a good but not great player is what Freo did in 2001. Do you think they'd rather have Croad or Hodge, looking back?

Wines has been reported to want to move back to Victoria. What makes you think he'll want to go to the Gold Coast or stay any longer than he has to?

Gold Coast, aren't contending for finals next year, they don't need to mortgage their future for a player now. Lukosius is worth far more than Wines.
IMO Ollie Wines would be great for their development/culture, he has a min of 5 years left, exactly they type of player they need, 5 years is a long long time in footy, who would have thought 2 years ago we would be top of the ladder and in contention for a flag going into the last round of the season.

In hindsight I would have given up pick 2 (if we had it) for Neale or Cameron.

Who know's right now whether Lukosius or Wines would be better re the Suns in 5-6 years time.

It's all hypothetical's and opinions JB which is what BF is largely about, on this one I disagree with you, when we look back in 6 years I could be deemed in hindsight as dead wrong.

In hindsight I would have given up pick 2 (if we had it) for Neale or Cameron.
Once again, Wines is neither Neale or Cameron. He's a good but not great or potentially great player.

I would also like to point out that not all Pick 2s are the same, draft classes can be very different from year to year. I would have been open to the idea of trading pick 2 for Wines in 2017 when Rayner was considered the only truly elite talent, but not in 2018 where the consensus was that there were eight players with a very good chance of becoming a superstar. Nor this year where Noah Anderson is considered a truly elite talent and could easily outperform Wines. One of the reasons why the Croad trade looks terrible in hindsight is because 2001 was a Superdraft™. Trades like that can mean the difference between a premiership and no premiership in years to come, as Freo found out in 2013.

GC have a harder task they don't have that luxury of home grown talent, but its not about showing others that they will be blocked if they want to leave, AFL players don't give a toss its not like they are playing for their local amateur club and stay loyal they get big bucks to play footy, playing at home near family and friends would appeal
This is a very compelling case for the Suns to get COLA. Anyone opposing a beginning of first round priority pick for the Suns should be demanding COLA for them instead to forestall the priority pick, because it's pretty clear that they're behind the eight ball in recruitment.

Once again, Wines is neither Neale or Cameron. He's a good but not great or potentially great player.

I would also like to point out that not all Pick 2s are the same, draft classes can be very different from year to year. I would have been open to the idea of trading pick 2 for Wines in 2017 when Rayner was considered the only truly elite talent, but not in 2018 where the consensus was that there were eight players with a very good chance of becoming a superstar. Nor this year where Noah Anderson is considered a truly elite talent and could easily outperform Wines. One of the reasons why the Croad trade looks terrible in hindsight is because 2001 was a Superdraft™. Trades like that can mean the difference between a premiership and no premiership in years to come, as Freo found out in 2013.

This is a very compelling case for the Suns to get COLA. Anyone opposing a beginning of first round priority pick for the Suns should be demanding COLA for them instead to forestall the priority pick, because it's pretty clear that they're behind the eight ball in recruitment.

Im all for the GC getting a massive salary cap relief, it is seriously the only way to assist PP's are a waste of time as has been shown.

All other clubs would hate it as stars like Cripps become huge targets with such a massive pay day on offer, probably why it wont happen

It seems McLachlan is strongly against extra salary cap as an assistance. I think ambassadorial money is probably more feasible. I believe Weller is on it.

It seems McLachlan is strongly against extra salary cap as an assistance. I think ambassadorial money is probably more feasible. I believe Weller is on it.

He is against it due to pressure from all other clubs, as it puts massive targets on their players, personally its the only option it needs to be given

You could be right but IMO Ollie Wines best is still in front of him, he is over 2 years younger than Lachie Neale and people develop at different rates. Too hard for me to compare Charlie to Ollie, totally different players and it depends what a club is looking for and need as to what value they put on certain players.

As far as players in the draft are concerned no matter how highly they are rated pre draft there is still a lottery element to how they turn out as compared to a proven player eg. Josh Fraser (Pick 1), Jack Watts(1), Jared Brennan(3:(), Colin Sylvia(3), Matt Luenberger(4:(), Jack Trengove(2), Jonathan O'Rourke(2), Tom Boyd(1), Paddy McCartin(1).

Gil has his head up his behind then. It's pretty clear that ambassadorial money isn't having the desired effect if the best player they can attract with it is Weller.

Back