Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Richmond

wraglesweb

Premiership Player
Jul 30, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
+ we still look good for a double chance

- We are 0-3 against the rest of the top 4 and have fallen short at every "big test"

I just can't shake the feeling that we aren't quite good enough this year. We are finding ways to lose the close ones, instead of winning them like we did last year.
Agreee I think NicNat is our key to go back to back NicNat has to steele himself to go beast mode like a hungry rampant dog its the only way I see us doing any damage in the finals !!

Bestbird

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 18, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
Great Game and an awesome season but at times (Port Adelaide, Collingwood last Quarter and vs Richmond) we get stuck in our defensive 50 and just kick to the wing to an outnumbered contest. Very annoying that this is still an issue compounded more by really bad decision making yesterdays coming out of defence which led to the limited inside 50's

WCE Wizard

Premiership Player
Jun 14, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
+ Sublime first quarter.
+ JD till he got the corkie was unstoppable.
+ Gaff worked his butt off.
+ A man down.
+ the fact that im struggling to find five positives and yet we could still have stolen the game.

- Barass! Mate other than the obvious cockups, you went back to your bruise free method of spoiling.As soon as Reiwold sees an incoming kick he makes body contact.He needs to be hit with full body spoils not a hang of the arm.
- Rotham! i know your inexperienced but if you dive or fall over one more time ill scream! KEEP YOUR FEET!!!!! This is AFL not WAFL.
- Sheed.What a dog of a game.No tackles? My grandma could move faster than you.Much as ive not been a big fan i think AhChee offers more.
- The Richmond talls weren't trying to mark around midfield,they were punching over the back.Did we have any numbers behind the pack to stop the out the back? No!
- With every man in defence was it necessary to have 3-5 men within 20m of goals with nobody to mark? That meant they had numbers forward of the pack where everybody was punching to.
- Nelson.Gotta go! Sorry mate but your like a deer in the headlights at times.You MUST move to the ball or the incoming contest.Not wait for it to come to you.
- Waterman to soft for me.You cant wait for somebody to get the ball then tackle!Get stuck in and at least try to halve the contest.
- Outcoached! If your losing why not have more players out, to kick to when coming out of defence.? You cant win a game if you have nobody to kick goals.Its too hard to run,chip,and handball out of defence on a wet greasy day.
- Why not run Ryan through the middle? He was so clean in the wet.Hes got speed and nous.All very well to have a gun forward line but useless if you cant get the ball there.
- Lucky to be so close.
- Umpires screwed us.
- Tackling? A new concept i know!
- Simmo if your looking for an edge introduce your players to a thing called sheppherding.Grab a couple of primary school kids to teach them.
On that basis we move Nelson, Rotham and bring in Schoey and Duggan?

woosha24

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
I suppose one positive that I haven't seen anyone really mention:

Richmond played like they were a team possessed after quarter time, we couldn't have played much worse if we tried, and we lost by a kick.

We all know that West Coast can play several levels above where they were at on Sunday. Can Richmond?

Richmond played like they were a team possessed after quarter time, we couldn't have played much worse if we tried, and we lost by a kick.

We all know that West Coast can play several levels above where they were at on Sunday. Can Richmond?

The only problem is we have been saying this for months already. Our best is the best football in the league but I think we are dreaming thinking we can suddenly "flick the switch" and go beast mode for 4 quarters...let alone a month of footy.

I think this fits, starts and bursts of brilliance for a quarter here and there is all we can expect. It's all we have shown we are capable of for some time.

woosha24

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
The only problem is we have been saying this for months already. Our best is the best football in the league but I think we are dreaming thinking we can suddenly "flick the switch" and go beast mode for 4 quarters...let alone a month of footy.

I think this fits, starts and bursts of brilliance for a quarter here and there is all we can expect. It's all we have shown we are capable of for some time.

Dunno for mine. Hawks did the same during their threepeat - looked thereabouts all year but not indominable, then switched on in September and blitzed everyone.

I suppose its gonna come down to how hungry we are for greatness.

Karim Abdul Yeo

Cancelled
Jul 30, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
I think simmo knows what he gets from Schoey so he wanted to try Rotham. we have depth and we are in decent form 7-2 last 9 games. Duggan comes in for Hutch. maybe cameron for Petch cuz apart from his pace he realy does not offer mu
I dont think so but love the optimism

We just played the so called experts of the G. Dusty played one of his best games of the season, hard to top that and weather was putrid and we lost by only one goal. No sir, this is vastly different to optimism. We are 100% one of the contenders with or without NN. Tigers basically gave it everything they had with 1 billion indise 50's. For them to win against us they need weather, dusty to replicate that again and Shuey Hurn Sheed and Barras plus JK to all have bad game again. I suggest you watch the game again.

Karim Abdul Yeo

Cancelled
Jul 30, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Let's not forget we were one player down and out of all 22, Hutch was the only one who could do a job on dusty. To combination of him being out and Dusty being hot was so unfortunate.

woosha24

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Let's not forget we were one player down and out of all 22, Hutch was the only one who could do a job on dusty. To combination of him being out and Dusty being hot was so unfortunate.

Yeo should have been doing the job but for some reason Simmo wasn't having it. I understand that the mids dropped their colours as a collective and he was trying to bring everyone into the game, but if one guy is just carving you up at the stoppages again and again you have to arrest that first. Mids cant redeem themselves if you don't give them the chance to get the ball.

Especially annoying because Dusty has epic game-day melts when he's well held. Would have gone a long way towards winning if he was losing his na-na after half time.

Balls In

Brownlow Medallist
May 25, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
The game was devastating for our top two finals hopes and exposes us to a genuine disaster if we somehow end up 5th. Extinction event aside, realistically it just means we travel in the first week of finals and that's no biggie.

Still we should take a huge amount from that game where everything that could possibly go against us did. We still only lost by a kick to a team that hasn't left that ground in two months, in the pouring rain after losing Hutchings early which resulted in Dusty playing his best game of the year. That final quarter grit to come back from 2 goals down in red time is the makings of a great team that just doesn't know its beat. We will take confidence from that and if we play Richmond again I reckon that's a nice little seed we planted at the back of their minds.

Negatives have been done to death but yes Barrass had an absolute shocker to gift 2-3 goals in an arm wrestle. Its not the first time he has been poor game in a loss either, he was poor against Collingwood as well. I actually think the Schofield v Barrass conversation needs to be had as I personally feel safer with Schofield down there at the moment. Their two big forwards were the difference in the end.

The midfield was hit and miss and we lost the inside 50's pretty comfortably. Redden and Sheed in particular need to be giving us more drive than they did while Hickey who is an honest trier is just not a good tap ruckmen. I keep talking about NicNat but having the ultimate big bodied contested beast in that game and we win it imo. Hopefully another positive for our future prospects.

Our forward line was super efficient from a scoring perspective but allowed Richmond to run off halfback far too easily. I'm firmly in the Cameron camp if there's ever a decision between he and Petch simply because Cameron is a far superior tackler. Darling got a massive corky in the hip in the first quarter and was not the same, but worse than that was him being allowed to be double teamed because of Kennedy's lack of threat. Kennedy isn't clunking his marks and has missed a few shots but him getting led to the footy is what is hurting us the most. I hope he can turn it around quickly- if not the NicNat selection equation might be whether O Allen is the best fit at FF.

Moley27

Debutant
Sep 15, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
I wonder if not tagging Dusty was us holding something back for finals, don't play your cards too early etc etc

If we should happen to drop next weeks game against the Hawks (which won't be an easy match after a 6 day break) then it won't be a good way to go into a finals series following 2 consecutive losses. Hope for a win of course but not too confident after today's result as too many passengers in the second half today and the question is can they turn it around as I'm sure there will be a few sore boys after playing in the wet in a close match?
Hawks coming off a six day break too so this shouldn't be a factor.

Karim Abdul Yeo

Cancelled
Jul 30, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeo should have been doing the job but for some reason Simmo wasn't having it. I understand that the mids dropped their colours as a collective and he was trying to bring everyone into the game, but if one guy is just carving you up at the stoppages again and again you have to arrest that first. Mids cant redeem themselves if you don't give them the chance to get the ball.

Especially annoying because Dusty has epic game-day melts when he's well held. Would have gone a long way towards winning if he was losing his na-na after half time.
I know what you mean but Dusty was on another level Sunday. Probably eve Hutch couldn't stop him.

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast

I don’t think Richmond were playing out of their skins. Certainly not in the first quarter and they missed a lot of easy shots whereas we nailed ours.

They have another gear to go to

Hawks essentially coming off a 13 day (or thereabouts) break. Playing the suns is an easy training run at best currently.
Yes, prancing around witch's hats at Marvel with the roof shut is a bit different to slogging it out with one of the best sides in the comp in tough conditions. Still, at least they don't have extra days on us.

Tiger71

?????? King of the Micro ??????
Sep 22, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond

Not coming to pick a fight. Just on how we played, its funny reading your views that we played out of our skins. If you read our game day thread, we were bemoaning how s**t we were playing. Lynch spraying them, hell most of our set shots either points, or out on the full 25 meters in front. Also our field kicking was poor with 6 out of bounds with no pressure.

The last quarter though, was both sides fighting with pride and having a red hot crack in s**t conditions. If I was a WC supporter I would not be upset and still filled with confidence and ditto tigers. People undersell the fact it was our 5th game in a row, 2 of which on 6 day breaks in poring rain. I had tipped a loss as I expected my side to run out of gas but they lifted when WC challenged.

Good Luck in finals and lets hope both sides have a different path for sides we play in the finals as I would love to see a WC v Tigers GF

woosha24

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Not coming to pick a fight. Just on how we played, its funny reading your views that we played out of our skins. If you read our game day thread, we were bemoaning how s**t we were playing. Lynch spraying them, hell most of our set shots either points, or out on the full 25 meters in front. Also our field kicking was poor with 6 out of bounds with no pressure.

The last quarter though, was both sides fighting with pride and having a red hot crack in s**t conditions. If I was a WC supporter I would not be upset and still filled with confidence and ditto tigers. People undersell the fact it was our 5th game in a row, 2 of which on 6 day breaks in poring rain. I had tipped a loss as I expected my side to run out of gas but they lifted when WC challenged.

Good Luck in finals and lets hope both sides have a different path for sides we play in the finals as I would love to see a WC v Tigers GF

We're just p*ssed off that we had top 2 on the line and bottled it. Also getting really jacked off about this thing we do where we fall asleep for half a game and let the opposition back in. Feels like this one went begging. Also doesn't help several reliable players went to sh*t and cost us goals they would never otherwise cough up (Barrass in particular).

Hope to see you at the 'G on a dry day.

Tom_Thumb

Club Legend
Feb 1, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Just wanted to talk about Waterman's game, I'm no fan but I can see we can't not play him from now on. If I had 10 minutes with him I could fix his demeanor, the guy basically is lacking "Mongrel". If he could become an aggressive animal he would be elite imo but being introverted and timid will be his downfall in AFL if he can't over come it.

Back