Warner in England

Remove this Banner Ad

we haven't seen enough of Warner to know how badly he is travelling!

Disagree we have seen more than enough to know that he is so woefully out of touch.

This is highlighted and confirmed by his s**t catching in this series .
Can’t remember him dropping so many catches and being caught in a poor position to attempt the catch.

It’s a pretty true indicator that when batsmen are out of touch in the runs department, they generally don’t catch well in the field and visas versa , when in form they take the blinder catches.

We badly need him to find some form or we are able going to be in strife with out Smith batting.

He actually doesn’t deserve to hold his spot in the team , but sadly the harsh reality is that we don’t have anyone to replace him .

Silly question, could there be lingering resentment between Warner and Bancroft that affects their ability to play together?

A few months back, once bancroft named "Davey" and the media kicked up over it, I was thinking they wouldn't pick Bancroft just in case Warner didn't want him there. Davey gets what Davey wants, or at least he used to. I wonder if being around each other is distracting, even moreso batting together (briefly) every single innings.

I'm not claiming it is the case, just putting it up as a possibility for part of the reason for partnerships of 2, 13, 11, 13 (actually better than I thought).

Silly question, could there be lingering resentment between Warner and Bancroft that affects their ability to play together?

I wish we could stop with this. If there's any resentment, it's against the idiots at Cricket Australia like Sutherland who caved to the pressure that wasn't going to last.

This is professional sport, not an episode of Home and Away. I'm sure the two of them are thinking about their own batting and not old news from 18 months ago.

On the topic of Warner, it's not about whether he's a truly great opener it's about who the best man for the job is. I'd be taking Warner averaging 47 over Marcus Harris right now who is no gurantee. The issue with dropping Warner is you have to commit to it for the rest of the series. Bancroft will be first dropped unless he produces next Test and I'd still be backing Warner over both him and Harris.

A few months back, once bancroft named "Davey" and the media kicked up over it, I was thinking they wouldn't pick Bancroft just in case Warner didn't want him there. Davey gets what Davey wants, or at least he used to. I wonder if being around each other is distracting, even moreso batting together (briefly) every single innings.

I'm not claiming it is the case, just putting it up as a possibility for part of the reason for partnerships of 2, 13, 11, 13 (actually better than I thought).

Nah that's ludicrous. Their demeanour toward each other on the field and from what you see in the training clips couldn't be much more different than to what you are proposing.

Is it possible that the new arrival in the Warner clan is making things even more challenging

I wish we could stop with this. If there's any resentment, it's against the idiots at Cricket Australia like Sutherland who caved to the pressure that wasn't going to last.

This is professional sport, not an episode of Home and Away. I'm sure the two of them are thinking about their own batting and not old news from 18 months ago.

On the topic of Warner, it's not about whether he's a truly great opener it's about who the best man for the job is. I'd be taking Warner averaging 47 over Marcus Harris right now who is no gurantee. The issue with dropping Warner is you have to commit to it for the rest of the series. Bancroft will be first dropped unless he produces next Test and I'd still be backing Warner over both him and Harris.
I'd be surprised if there wasn't still some lingering resent about the place, that kind of ugly doesn't just disappear overnight. That first 24 hours after it happened was an exercise in how not to handle a crisis and we got perilously close to the truth as the leadership group was blamed, then the bowlers felt like they'd been thrown under the bus before the sacrificial lambs emerged. Nobody has ever properly answered the question of was this a one off or part of team plan that had been in place for some time either.

What, to open? Should be a middle order candidate over the years to come but I reckon the squad they picked for the Ashes was the right one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Warner doesn't even look like making runs at the moment. I don't know whether it's the english conditions or he just can't play stuart broad to save his life.

Bring in Kurt Patterson.
Was probably the most notable omission for mine. Although I did say I was surprised they went with Labuschagne over KP, and in two innings so far Labu has done himself very proud. Labu, Smith and Head will round out the middle order for the series. Warner has got a score so that will end any question marks on his spot for this series, but there's still questions long term.

Not sure if Burns or Patterson are still in England, but if they are, selectors might want to consider drafting them into the squad depending on how this match plays out. Especially Burns because we have real problems up the order. He does have a blinding weakness outside off stump but every option to bat in the top 3 has huge weaknesses and Burns is one of the few candidates with a half decent test record, albeit from not many matches.

Yes he's in awful form and the mere sight of Broad is all it takes at the moment.

However, this series has been arguably the most one sided contest between bat and ball I've seen. Combination of the conditions, quality of bowlers on both sides and yes some very questionable techniques. So I don't think it's worth throwing anyone under the bus right now, especially so for the Australians where even the guys who've struggled have committed to sticking it out and batting time. That's a very healthy sign for the "culture" of the group.

giphy.gif

Cannot wait for the post Warner era to start. Can't stand the little campaigner.

Normally you would say its all over for him but his home record and the lack of quality alternatives might see him still in the mix at home, he should be out at the oval though, win or draw here the series is still up for grabs at the oval and he is not going to turn it around vs broad.

Flat track bully is spot on.

Khawaja should open but he shouldn't keep his spot just because we don't have an obvious replacement

Remove this Banner Ad

Back