Studs/Sprigs up rule

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
using your foot to push someone in the back during a marking contest should always be a free, studs up or not. As to the studs up rule, it’s fine, it is a completely unnecessary action.

Agreed.

Half the time you bump your opponent out of the contest and its a free kick.

Using your boot to shove the opponent out of the way surely is a free kick?

Makka

Premiership Player
Aug 25, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
AFL have bowed to the crying of their September cash cow and are altering the interpretation of the rule now.

The incompetency of this organisation knows no limits.

Typical AFL changing the rules on the fly. But they don't state on their website what they are changing about it just that it's relaxing its interpretation? So does that mean it doesn't exist any more?

matthew_s

Premiership Player
Aug 19, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Lol since when do the AFL change rules in 24 hours. Staggering.

plain *ed.

i hope mcgovern takes a studs up mark over riewoldt in the dying seconds of the prelim to deny richmond.

afl, has gotta be the only sport in the world where we change rules and interpretations week by week. amateur hour as usual

Aug 15, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
It's clear as day Ryans feet end up in Gawn's face and that could result in an injury which the rule exactly states in point (d)
If you analysed each and every contest in a game of footy, you would have 1000 feet getting near a face, this one stands out as it’s a great photo from a great mark.

He didn’t lead with his studs, and to try and link it to doing so, I might as well claim Gawn was trying to leg Ryan with his face.

Jul 12, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles, Lakers, Bayern, Trojans

OhhDeledio

Premiership Player
Jul 30, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
All that says is a charge in interpretation. What does that mean?
They have got me ****ed aswell because this is the interpretation

"The studs up rule was brought in to ensure players did not employ their studs in marking contests in a manner likely to cause injury,"

Even though they came out and said they were correct calls, the 2 pinged against Riewoldt were cleary a joke under that interpretation which is why they needed to 'change' it, even though they shouldnt have been frees in the first place. I guess what they mean by change is they will make it clearer to the umpires on what constitues a studs up free. Ones like Greene on Daniel or Hipwood on Myers (which wasnt even a free) were the reason this rule was brought in. Not these 2 against Riewoldt.

Neale4brownlow

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Egg on face coming when every forward starts behaving like riewoldt throwing the studs out at defenders to kick them out.

Its not a marking attempt its just a new way to push in the back.

Hopefully it doesnt catch on as its really not appealing to watch that style of mark.

Basically a fake speccie where you get 0 air and barely leave the ground.

OhhDeledio

Premiership Player
Jul 30, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Egg on face coming when every forward starts behaving like riewoldt throwing the studs out at defenders to kick them out.

Its not a marking attempt its just a new way to push in the back.

Hopefully it doesnt catch on as its really not appealing to watch that style of mark.

Basically a fake speccie where you get 0 air and barely leave the ground.
Players have done it for years mate. Jeff Farmer, Jeremey Howe, so many players have done it and no one gave a s**t until the AFL over reacted to the Greene incident.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
So you are allowed to kick players in the leg out of marking contests?

Only if you use your studs.

Players have done it for years mate. Jeff Farmer, Jeremey Howe, so many players have done it and no one gave a s**t until the AFL over reacted to the Greene incident.

They werent doing it to push their opponent out of the way. Riewoldt did.

Why didnt the AFL also relax the rules around contact below the knee?

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018
Typical...Hawkins did this all the time, and got penalized every single time for a 'push out.' Happens one week to Riewoldt and all hell breaks loose.

Clear as mud.

Neale4brownlow

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast

In each instance you can see Riewoldt line up his opponent.

I would think the rule should specially state "you cant defend space in a marking contest studs up".

Hangers are fine. But Riewoldt is defending space illegally at each attempt (well not anymore I guess).

I still think there's a stark difference between the 2 (hangers and illegally defending space). AFL's backflip on this has only muddied the waters further.

Not sure why it makes any difference whether its toby green fly kicking guys front on or Riewoldt doing it to peoples backs...?

Does the way the opponent is facing make any difference or effect the potential to cause injury? I would think not.

AFL have made a snap decision based off the initial outcry of the few. Absurdly reactive.

Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond
Geez this has really brought out all the reiwoldt haters.

The afl changes the rules to stop players slamming each other's heads into the ground and you all cry that the afl is turning into netball. Yet you all want not just studs but any leg/knee contact to the back in a marking contest to be a free kick because Jack reiwoldt took a mark.

Im sure it keeps you all up at night knowing that reiwoldt has had a highly successful career.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Typical...Hawkins did this all the time, and got penalized every single time for a 'push out.' Happens one week to Riewoldt and all hell breaks loose.

Clear as mud.

Hawkins rarely used studs too. Far more likely to use his knee to push.

My biggest issue with him is he always jumps early. Often so early that he has landed before the mark, having taken out his opponent.

4tone

Club Legend
Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hardwick will pissing himself of laughter tonight. Had a little whinge and bingo rule change done and dusted. Thing is Reiwoldt, will be doing this illegal pushing of his opponents out of the contest more often. Its going to drive fans to tipping point. On the other side Hardwick better shut his mouth if opposition sides now use this against them.

sprockets

Cancelled
Crime Board Sleuth BeanCoiNFT Investor
Oct 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
plain ******ed.

i hope mcgovern takes a studs up mark over riewoldt in the dying seconds of the prelim to deny richmond.

afl, has gotta be the only sport in the world where we change rules and interpretations week by week. amateur hour as usual
You've gotta get there first.

Shadow89

Cancelled
Feb 20, 2018
Hawkins rarely used studs too. Far more likely to use his knee to push.

My biggest issue with him is he always jumps early. Often so early that he has landed before the mark, having taken out his opponent.

If you'll notice, he actually hasn't really done that at all this year. More leading and using body on body

Shadow89

Cancelled
Feb 20, 2018
Geez this has really brought out all the reiwoldt haters.

The afl changes the rules to stop players slamming each other's heads into the ground and you all cry that the afl is turning into netball. Yet you all want not just studs but any leg/knee contact to the back in a marking contest to be a free kick because Jack reiwoldt took a mark.

Im sure it keeps you all up at night knowing that reiwoldt has had a highly successful career.

Moreso that it's the first time that a rule change has been 'relaxed' due to outcry from a particular club. As I pointed out before, Hawkins did it all the time and was penalized every single time. Jack cracks a tanti alongside Richo and Hardwick, and 24 hours later the rule is 'altered.' Reeks of Clarko having a 'chat' with Gil on Monday morning after the Swans game.

Back