2019 2nd Ashes Test - Lords 14-18 August 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Nonsense. Mints are not a 'grey area'. The rules clearly state that the ball cannot be polished with any artificial substance. Both Marcus Trescothik and Paneser have admitted to the 05' team using mints (an artificial substance that is not naturally contained in saliva) to manage the ball. Both concealed their use of the mints from umpires. They did so because it's outside the law. Paneser also admitted to using his zip, which is also ball tampering. I note you fail to address Atherton, which is entirely unsurprising. It's possible you actually believe he was just keeping his hands dry.

All international teams have ball tampered at some point. That's how you get reverse swing. It seems only the English are hypocritical enough to view their ball tempering as somehow different, somehow a 'grey area', and everyone else's as condemnable. Again, not at all surprising. Enjoy that high horse. Don't fall off, now.

This is just going around in circles, but until they ban players having anything to eat during games then mints are not illegal. How do we know Finch's chewie doesn't affect his saliva and therefore tampering with the ball?

If booing Root, do people also boo Khawaja for that 'catch' last series where he dropped it under himself then came up claiming it? Lucky for him there was no camera under his chest...

Roots catch looked good to me, but every time you see one of those low down people will see what they want to see.
What part of the image looked good to you? The bit where the ball is clearly on the ground without Root's fingers under it, out the bit where the ball is clearly on the ground without Root's hand under it?

I accept these calls happen in cricket. They can go either way; it's part of cricket, and one side feels hard done by. But on this occasion, M. Vaughan is right—that was not out.

If booing Root, do people also boo Khawaja for that 'catch' last series where he dropped it under himself then came up claiming it? Lucky for him there was no camera under his chest...

Roots catch looked good to me, but every time you see one of those low down people will see what they want to see.

Well that's confirmation bias for you. I call bullshit.

Takeaways from this test

- Don't bowl first if we win the toss. The conditions where pretty favourably for bowling. But the weather has been this summer there's no guarantee the next day will be any better for batting. On top of that, our batting - even with Smith - is not good enough to voluntarily put us under the pressure of chasing runs. Even yesterday, Labuschagne inning's was fantastic, and as great as batsmen as Smith, he's not a cast iron lock to do what Labu did yesterday. The call was pretty 50/50 and I think that was a toss a lot of captains would like to lose. So I don't hold that totally against Paine, but I think he and Langer need to agree that any toss won is bat first, even if every instinct says this would be good conditions to bowl.

- I've generally thought Paine has done a decent job, especially given the circumstances but this test wasn't his best, even disregarding the call to bowl first. A poor drop catch (which ultimately didn't cost much but you don't know that at the time) and too defensive with field settings. On the first day, they had 2 half century stands and in both things just drifted once they put on about 30.

- Labuschagne to come in. I'm not convinced about him long term, but he's earned a shot with yesterdays innings plus his runs in England this summer. I'm not sure who makes way - Warner and Bancroft are completely at sea with the bat. Khawaja is not doing much better, and is a poor fieldsmen (who is somehow fielding in a crucial spot behind the stumps). Warner had a shocker in the field this test but is usually good.

- Fielding was atrocious. As bad as I can remember from an Australian team for a long time, except maybe in tests in the sub continent where India are 3/400, belting us to all parts of the ground, it's 35 degrees and fielding starts becoming a real chore. But none of that was the case in this test. When Burns went out in the second dig we'd taken 14/~320 at this point (even with a few drops already to our names). Our guys should have been absolutely pumped and all over it in the field. Going back to those half century stands, I don't know if it was caught on the TV but our guys really started dropping their heads once those partnerships developed - that's not good enough in third grade, let alone international cricket. That's a collective team thing, but is also led by the captain and keeper, who happens to be the same person right now.

- Just gotta find a way to get through Archer. OK he's fast and he's got a great bouncer. But he does lose control pretty quickly, and he's only in his second test. Just gotta find a way to survive and put him under the sort of pressure that he never would have been before. Test cricket is littered with express bowlers who lost their way once batsmen found a way to hang in. For the record I think Archer is going to be a top shelf bowler, but until that happens, it's not locked in.

What part of the image looked good to you? The bit where the ball is clearly on the ground without Root's fingers under it, out the bit where the ball is clearly on the ground without Root's hand under it?

I accept these calls happen in cricket. They can go either way; it's part of cricket, and one side feels hard done by. But on this occasion, M. Vaughan is right—that was not out.

The shot where his fingers are on the ground and the ball lands in them...

Every single one of those catches the front on shot looks like it falls short, every single time.

Plenty of Australians have claimed catches like that, some overturned, most not, no one calls them a cheat for it, except maybe Haddin...

Are we banning players for drinking sugary drinks and then shining the ball as well then? It's clearly a grey area. If it were so clear cut why was Smith not sanctioned for admitting his team did it in a press conference and why was Kohli not sanctioned when footage was widely available of him shining the ball whilst sucking on a mint?

Once again explain the lack of any strong action or recriminations for atherton ? Why was imran such a love figure in england when he is a known cheat who used bottletops on balls?

Why is it so well known that tampering is a big part of the county cricket scene if the english consider it so sinful?

Lets move away just from ball tampering Amir disgraced his team and embarrassed his team in front of the english who let them host their test series and the the english crowds gave him a warm ovation on his return to the country, it was so serious he went to prison for what he did and yet he is warmly received by the same people so outraged by sandpaper?

If an aussie got a 5 year ban you think he is getting clapped by the english on his return?

Not a comment without merit but if moving countries and becoming a citizen of that country is perfectly legal in general life, then why should it be any different for sport?
Moving cities is even more commonplace, but doesn't stop the AFL from restricting player movement between clubs. Is an interesting conundrum though.

I would be playing Warner and telling him to play shots and treat batting like a one day game , best way to find form . Give him the license to do it .
Bancroft goes out simple because he is the less likely of the 2 to win the game and in equally poor form.
Khawaja opens , Smith 3 , Head 4 and Labs 5 . Rest stay the same .
A few years ago we would have been rolled for 120 today , yes had the death wobbles but were able to grind it out .

Archer is fantastic to watch . Will be interesting to see how he goes backing up especially if the next test has fair less breaks , I think that helped him this test.
I don't mind that for Warner. We're not getting anything out of him anyway. He might as well go out swinging and see what happens

Every single one of those catches the front on shot looks like it falls short, every single time.

Plenty of Australians have claimed catches like that, some overturned, most not, no one calls them a cheat for it, except maybe Haddin...
Do you have a copy of this photoshopped version?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Once again explain the lack of any strong action or recriminations for atherton ?

Different times and different attitudes. If an England player got caught doing what Atherton did nowadays there would be far more outrage.

Why was imran such a love figure in england when he is a known cheat who used bottletops on balls?

He admitted to this after his retirement. I've not seen Imran Khan as much of a love figure in England over the last couple of decades.

Why is it so well known that tampering is a big part of the county cricket scene if the english consider it so sinful?

You got any proof of this in recent years?

Lets move away just from ball tampering Amir disgraced his team and embarrassed his team in front of the english who let them host their test series and the the english crowds gave him a warm ovation on his return to the country, it was so serious he went to prison for what he did and yet he is warmly received by the same people so outraged by sandpaper?

Eh? Amir was clearly booed on his return. Naturally it's reduced a lot over the years, as it will with the Aussie trio. You'll notice Pakistan never returned to play their neutral games in England following the spot fixing episode.

... which is a different argument than your false equivalence before.

Play on.
Not really. My "false equivalence" (not true) was merely suggesting Warner's average and centuries are not enough of a reason for him to be an aut
Warner is in poor form but I can't help but think the majority who want him out have a different agenda (consider him the bad guy because of sand paper and don't want him in the team at all).

There is no way he gets dropped before Bancroft, he averages 47 in Test cricket as an opener. You can bang on about a poor record in England but it's not true, his record in England was actually pretty solid before this series.

The top 3 probably needs a shake up but with Smith likely out it's not happening until the fourth Test and even then the only chance of a change is Bancroft out. Warner is playing all 5 Tests.
I'd prefer Burns and Harris, but at least Bancroft has FC form in England. Would be interested to see what he can do with an opening partner that actually sticks around. At least Bancroft can last more than 4 overs.

Unless he is Salad Fingers this didn't happen.

Nonsense. Mints are not a 'grey area'. The rules clearly state that the ball cannot be polished with any artificial substance. Both Marcus Trescothik and Paneser have admitted to the 05' team using mints (an artificial substance that is not naturally contained in saliva) to manage the ball. Both concealed their use of the mints from umpires. They did so because it's outside the law. Paneser also admitted to using his zip, which is also ball tampering. I note you fail to address Atherton, which is entirely unsurprising. It's possible you actually believe he was just keeping his hands dry.

All international teams have ball tampered at some point. That's how you get reverse swing. It seems only the English are hypocritical enough to view their ball tempering as somehow different, somehow a 'grey area', and everyone else's as condemnable. Again, not at all surprising. Enjoy that high horse. Don't fall off, now.

Then chewing gum should be banned as well, if it has anything in it that is, or resembles sugar

Are we banning players for drinking sugary drinks and then shining the ball as well then? It's clearly a grey area. If it were so clear cut why was Smith not sanctioned for admitting his team did it in a press conference and why was Kohli not sanctioned when footage was widely available of him shining the ball whilst sucking on a mint?
This is just going around in circles, but until they ban players having anything to eat during games then mints are not illegal. How do we know Finch's chewie doesn't affect his saliva and therefore tampering with the ball?

The rules clearly state that you cannot use any artificial substance. You can use saliva and clothes (but not zips, which Paneser also admits to using).

But this somewhat beside the point of my original post, which I will restate. It is a double standard for English fans to call Smith a cheat, then celebrate Atherton and Panesar who have both ball tampered. In Atherton's case, there is not even the veneer of possible grey area. He was even fined for lying about it.

Every side ball tampers. That is how you get reverse swing. I doubt it's a coincidence that reverse has magically dissapered from cricket since Jo-burg.

But if you want to defend the hypocritical abuse of Smith, then that's your choice.

It's not a grey area, it's cheating.

Don't try and explain it away because your team did it - it is cheating.

Do the players carry bottles of Powerade in their pockets?

Moving cities is even more commonplace, but doesn't stop the AFL from restricting player movement between clubs. Is an interesting conundrum though.

Seen through the lens of normal life and normal business international sport is pretty silly, but if anybody could just play for anybody whenever they felt like it why even have national rep teams?

Sports have these strange rules that don't work in other areas to help fuel the tribalism an nationalism to give us a feeling of ownership of that side, look at america, they love their unfettered capitalism when it suits but they then love artificial salary caps on their top sports stars which help create at least some parity and keeps that tribal fire burning for their sports sides who cant compete financially with others.

Once again explain the lack of any strong action or recriminations for atherton ? Why was imran such a love figure in england when he is a known cheat who used bottletops on balls?

If an aussie got a 5 year ban you think he is getting clapped by the english on his return?

If they had the same response for Salman Butt or Mo Asif id agree with you but a kid from a third world nation who was asked - by his captain no less - as a 17 year old to bowl the odd no ball, who has served 5 years and done a prison stretch, probably is a slightly different scenario

It's not a grey area, it's cheating.

Don't try and explain it away because your team did it - it is cheating.

Do the players carry bottles of Powerade in their pockets?

No, but players are regularly drinking sugary drinks out in the middle and around the ground inbetween shining the ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back